No announcement yet.

Eck Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less buy in games and more home and home with mid major regional schools would cut travel and guarantees. We used to do home and home with UMKC and ORU until it was a risk > reward thing. Well guess what……

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      Less buy in games and more home and home with mid major regional schools would cut travel and guarantees. We used to do home and home with UMKC and ORU until it was a risk > reward thing. Well guess what……
      Your premise is spot on, but your examples are a little sketchy. We absolutely cannot have H/H with 200+ NET teams. Granted, Oral Roberts is a bad example because they just had a coaching change. If they could be a top 100-150, I wouldn’t necessarily mind that. Not sure what HCPM would think though about playing his former school.

North Texas would’ve been a good team for this if they hadn’t just joined our conference.

As long as Drake keeps their coach and stays good, they might be a possibility.

The problem is that we just don’t have many options (of the non-power ilk) that are drivable.
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Your premise is spot on, but your examples are a little sketchy. We absolutely cannot have H/H with 200+ NET teams. Granted, Oral Roberts is a bad example because they just had a coaching change. If they could be a top 100-150, I wouldn’t necessarily mind that. Not sure what HCPM would think though about playing his former school.

North Texas would’ve been a good team for this if they hadn’t just joined our conference.

The problem is that we just don’t have many options (of the non-power ilk) that are drivable.
        The biggest problem is that we aren't attractive right now.

Getting H/H types with Creighton, Colorado State, New Mexico, Loyola would be fantastic, but they don't generally struggle as much for good games.

Might be able to do something with Drake, Bradley, Louisiana Tech, UNI, Arlington, McNeese, Missouri State, Arkansas State, Louisiana. Probably wouldn't be too hard to work something out with this group, if the dates are available.

If you wanted to expand the travel, but go H/H type of contracts to avoid buy games, Dayton, Indiana State, Utah State, Grand Canyon, Samford, Akron, Belmont, Toledo, Western Kentucky, Ohio, Chattanooga would all be pretty solid options. Most are pretty consistently in the top 150 at least, or pretty close on down years.

All of the above finished with a better NET than us this year. None would really be considered a bad game. Winning against good/decent teams on the road only helps. I know many would be seen as "beneath" us and the AAC, but personally, I have no issues going to some smaller campus and playing a relatively good team.

Others that are borderline and still might not be bad depending on the year might include Sam Houston, Wright State, Weber State, Wyoming, Murray State, Kent State, Stephen F Austin, Illinois State, aTm-Corpus Christi, Little Rock, Northern Kentucky, UTEP, UIC, Northern Colorado, Cleveland State, Saint Louis. All finished in the top 200 this year. I figure you want to avoid too many teams that are 200+ and you want as many top 150 as you can get. We weren't even top 150 this year.

But this list would give you enough potential options I would think to get some H/H and some of these schools would probably jump at the opportunity to get a home game with us. You might even be able to get some two for ones or three for twos with a few of these.

It would be nice if Kansas City could ever get things to the point where they could consistently be in the top 200.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

The biggest problem is that we aren't attractive right now.

Getting H/H types with Creighton, Colorado State, New Mexico, Loyola would be fantastic, but they don't generally struggle as much for good games.

Might be able to do something with Drake, Bradley, Louisiana Tech, UNI, Arlington, McNeese, Missouri State, Arkansas State, Louisiana. Probably wouldn't be too hard to work something out with this group, if the dates are available.

If you wanted to expand the travel, but go H/H type of contracts to avoid buy games, Dayton, Indiana State, Utah State, Grand Canyon, Samford, Akron, Belmont, Toledo, Western Kentucky, Ohio, Chattanooga would all be pretty solid options. Most are pretty consistently in the top 150 at least, or pretty close on down years.

All of the above finished with a better NET than us this year. None would really be considered a bad game. Winning against good/decent teams on the road only helps. I know many would be seen as "beneath" us and the AAC, but personally, I have no issues going to some smaller campus and playing a relatively good team.

Others that are borderline and still might not be bad depending on the year might include Sam Houston, Wright State, Weber State, Wyoming, Murray State, Kent State, Stephen F Austin, Illinois State, aTm-Corpus Christi, Little Rock, Northern Kentucky, UTEP, UIC, Northern Colorado, Cleveland State, Saint Louis. All finished in the top 200 this year. I figure you want to avoid too many teams that are 200+ and you want as many top 150 as you can get. We weren't even top 150 this year.

But this list would give you enough potential options I would think to get some H/H and some of these schools would probably jump at the opportunity to get a home game with us. You might even be able to get some two for ones or three for twos with a few of these.

It would be nice if Kansas City could ever get things to the point where they could consistently be in the top 200.
          I don’t want to get too much into this since we are on baseball page. I generally agree with everything you are saying. In this case though, I’m just trying to limit this particular pool of opponents to those within a bus ride. Costwise, there’s not much of a difference between a plane ride to, say, Chicago and a plane ride to the coast. For cost-cutting measures, our pool of opponents within a bus ride is limited, especially if you remove power conference foes.
          Last edited by WuShock16; March 21, 2024, 10:31 AM.
          78-65

Comment

Why would Paul Mills care if we played Oral Roberts in baseball? Additionally, why would Creighton, Colorado State, New Mexico, have a problem playing us in baseball for a bus trip?

I think that some are talking basketball while others are talking baseball here.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Why would Paul Mills care if we played Oral Roberts in baseball? Additionally, why would Creighton, Colorado State, New Mexico, have a problem playing us in baseball for a bus trip?

I think that some are talking basketball while others are talking baseball here.
              Go back a page. It kinda morphed into an overall athletics discussion, which then went into men’s basketball scheduling.
              78-65

Comment

We (WSU and our conference) need to have better "relationships" with like conferences of the A-10 and Mountain West. We should be playing one or two teams from those conferences every year instead of so many games with low conferences. Our non-con tourney this year was a joke and would not have been a real boost had we won it. There was not a team in that field to help us from a growth or RPI standpoint had we won it. Losing teams like Houston, Cincinnati and UCF and replacing them with the likes of UTSA and Rice didn't help either. If we can't have a top 6 or 7 conference, we need to play teams in the non-con to counter that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                  We (WSU and our conference) need to have better "relationships" with like conferences of the A-10 and Mountain West. We should be playing one or two teams from those conferences every year instead of so many games with low conferences. Our non-con tourney this year was a joke and would not have been a real boost had we won it. There was not a team in that field to help us from a growth or RPI standpoint had we won it. Losing teams like Houston, Cincinnati and UCF and replacing them with the likes of UTSA and Rice didn't help either. If we can't have a top 6 or 7 conference, we need to play teams in the non-con to counter that.
                  I agree the past years non-con tournament was weak, but it was probably what our 'weak' and inexperienced team needed. Hopefully, we'll return to better tournaments beginning next season.
                  Last edited by WstateU; March 21, 2024, 02:50 PM.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I agree the past years non-con tournament was weak, but it was probably what our 'weak' and inexperienced team needed. Hopefully, we'll return to better tournaments beginning season.
                    Winning, or just playing, in a tournament like that does nothing for the reality check coming later. Our players probably thought they were hot sh*t starting off 7-1 for the season. That is why you do scrimmages with other teams if you can at the beginning of a season.

Comment

Go back a page. It kinda morphed into an overall athletics discussion, which then went into men’s basketball scheduling.
                      It is a proud SN tradition to "Morph Up" any conversation no matter what.

Comment

Morphine.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X