No announcement yet.

Eck Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My (now) wife had several dates on the hill in 1987 and 88, right before attendance kind of exploded. Beer was not allowed then.

There would be very few folks on the hill but the few folks that were usually had coolers of beer. Kind of a "see no evil" kind of thing. Security guards would walk by and as long as they couldn't see a beer, you were fine.

In the Spring of 1987, we rented a uhaul kind of van for our fraternity to take a bunch of crap to the dump. Well, later that day/evening we decided to drive the uhaul to the outfield parking lot and watch the game from the top of uhaul.

Well, we thought it was such a good idea that we decided to rent a really large uhaul for the Oklahoma State game in 1988. That is the first game I remember with a really big crowd; over 5,000, setting a record.

In order to get the best parking spot, we parked the uhaul outside of the fence in the afternoon, longwise.

I had a keg of beer at our fraternity, and wasn't sure how to get it to the uhaul, as by that time, the parking lot was pretty much full. SO, I flagged down the Shocker Shuttle, and yes, the Shocker Shuttle took me and a keg of beer to the outfield parking lot. It was a huge hit and many of the players on the team said that seeing fans on top of a big uhaul gave them a big boost.

Another funny thing is that for folks on the actual hill, we just ran the keg hose through the chain link fence for folks to fill up their cups. I do not remember if they were red solo cups.

Good memories !

Comment

Clever marketing - follow the instructions…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
        I like Kevin Saal.
        A lot hangs in the balance with basketball

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
          Clever marketing - follow the instructions…

Just noticing this. Very clever dinner.

Comment

Whoever said get rid of the bleachers in left field and build a berm is on to something. Please move that idea forward.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Maybe they could put that in to replace the rarely if ever used bleachers over at the left field foul pole. Maybe have three levels or so. Considering the spot, have Dingers Roofing sponsor it and call it the Dingers Deck!
              Just found your post again….Keep pushing.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Just found your post again….Keep pushing.
                I have no influence or $$$ to make such a thing happen. I did tell a friend since the right field deck is a standing only deck, a left field one needs to be a sittin' deck. Do they make all weather recliners? It could be the "Old Geezers Get Off My Fake Lawn Deck"!
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

I have no influence or $$$ to make such a thing happen. I did tell a friend since the right field deck is a standing only deck, a left field one needs to be a sittin' deck. Do they make all weather recliners? It could be the "Old Geezers Get Off My Fake Lawn Deck"!
                  Doesn’t matter. It is a good idea and Saal seems open and receptive to those. It’s also easy and cheap to do. When is the last time more than five people sat out there?

Comment

Doesn’t matter. It is a good idea and Saal seems open and receptive to those. It’s also easy and cheap to do. When is the last time more than five people sat out there?
                    I've been griping about this for years (perhaps I should stop griping and start presenting lol) but can't say I've said anything to ADKS. Look at TCU (watched Tolle hit one out last night to win the game) and what they've done. That's exactly what I would like to see, for at least some of the outfield.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I've been griping about this for years (perhaps I should stop griping and start presenting lol) but can't say I've said anything to ADKS. Look at TCU (watched Tolle hit one out last night to win the game) and what they've done. That's exactly what I would like to see, for at least some of the outfield.

https://gofrogs.com/galleries/baseba...e-32/288/95154
                      That is pretty nice!!!!

Comment

I also think they should somehow redo the bleacher seating up high above first base into some kind of table seating setup. Even just putting in long "bar tables" every other row so you have a table in front of you would make that section more attractive. But an actual table/seating setup would be even better, if that could be retrofit to get deeper flat areas for such a thing.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

While we're at it, I think they should retrofit all the seating to aluminum. That thunder was loud and fun.

Comment

Whoever said get rid of the bleachers in left field and build a berm is on to something. Please move that idea forward.
                            I know the old guard was adamant about keeping thos bleachers due to their history but they absolutely need to go.

Comment

Eck Stadium Outfield Deck Renamed “Kosich Korner”

Wichita State athletics announced today a renaming of the new outfield deck at Eck Stadium to "Kosich Korner" following a generous financial commitment from Wichita State alum and former Shocker student-athlete Thomas Kosich.

The 60-foot-wide and 16-foot-deep deck located beyond the right field wall has quickly become a fan-favorite location, offering spectators a unique view of the action while still immersed in the atmosphere of Coleman Hill. The outfield deck was introduced this season along with a series of new policies and fan amenities at Eck Stadium. As part of the naming rights agreement, the deck will feature "Kosich Korner" signage in place for this weekend's series against Long Beach State.

Comment

Didn’t Star Lumber donate the materials? Seemed like I read that a while ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X