No announcement yet.

2023 Off-season and Portal Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After roster makeover, Wichita State baseball has a new look under coach Brian Green
    By Taylor Eldridge; October 12, 2023

New coach Brian Green has virtually turned over the roster with 34 newcomers — 18 incoming freshmen, 14 from junior college and two from the transfer portal — mixed with just 11 returners. Outside of junior catcher Mauricio Millan and senior left-handed pitcher Caden Favors, no player has an established role with the Shockers.

To pull it off, it required his staff, which includes recruiting coordinator Clay Overcash, pitching coach Anthony Claggett and hitting coach Anthony Miller, to be on the road recruiting so much that they weren’t in the same room together for seven weeks after Green was hired on June 5.

The result was an influx of talent to the roster from the junior-college ranks: infielder Ryan Callahan (Johnson County), infielder Josh Livingston (Crowder College), outfielder Dayvin Johnson (Crowder College) and pitcher Daniel Zang (Dakota County Technical College) have all been standouts this fall.

“We really hit the juco’s hard and those juco guys have not disappointed,” Green said. “A lot of them are Midwest juco guys and they’re performing at a really high level. The coaches did a really great job.”

Green also considers himself fortunate for being on the receiving end of such a highly-touted incoming freshmen class, which was primarily recruited by the previous staff and maintained by the new one. Green did make two major additions in shortstop Darnell Parker Jr. and pitcher Tommy LaPour, which helped Wichita State’s 2023 recruiting class be ranked as the 36th-best nationally by Perfect Game.

“This freshmen class is definitely as good as advertised,” Green said. “Perfect Game had us at 36 and I would say it’s every bit of that. I think they got that one right. This class is very talented and I think you’re going to see some of those guys on the field right away. They’re definitely making their mark.”

Those freshman arms will likely help WSU’s starting rotation right away, as LaPour, Geraghty and Hamilton are all being looked at as potential starters. Considering their experience, Favors and Zang are good bets for weekend spots, while senior returner Nate Adler and junior left-hander Gavin Oswald, a former Oklahoma commit, also seem to be in the mix.

“We’ve got some good fastballs on the mound and we’ve got enough left-handers where I think we’re going to be able to match up out of the bullpen,” Green said. “We got some guys who can really run it up there. LaPour has been clocked at 97 (mph), Geraghty is at 94 and moving it, Zang has been up to 95. We’ve got a lot of really good fastballs and we’ll pitch to that.” Millan is the only returner from last season’s lineup and he’ll be spelled at times this season by fellow returner Alex Birge behind the plate.

Comment

• Freshman newcomers list

Comment

• What?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          What?
          PG put out a list of top freshman in the American Conference

Comment

• I can't see the picture or link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockersdad View Post

PG put out a list of top freshman in the American Conference
              Is this the list you are referring to: https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles...?article=22451
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 21, 2023, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• 17 of the Top 93, but more important, 9 of the Top 46, 7 of the Top 30, and 5 of the Top 15.

Comment

• Wow!
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    17 of the Top 93, but more important, 9 of the Top 46, 7 of the Top 30, and 5 of the Top 15.
                    Siri can recruit.

That being said, Jerson Martin is not on the team.

Comment

• As for which freshman will play, who knows. I admit a bias, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kamden Durnin at 3rd, a kid who has a really good arm and seems comfortable at the hot corner. DPJ looks more than capable at short but he's going to need to learn to hit. I think Holden Pantier is ready, but I'm just not sure where he would play right now.

Now the pitchers...seems obvious LaPour and Geraghty are going to get a chance to be in the mix from day 1, as both freshmen are mid/high 90s with the 1. I have always thought Brady Hamilton would help his first year. But there are a bunch of talented arms in that group that we are going to need.

Comment

• Just for fun and I said I would list our transfers listing when the final list was done.

What could have been:

RF Chuck Ingram - Kansas State #55 Will start for a loaded Wildcat team in the spring.

1B Garrett Pennington - North Carolina State #84 Garrett will mash the ball, as he did here, for the Wolfpack.

SS David Herring - Oral Roberts Will start at SS for one of the final 8 teams playing this last spring.

3B David Little - Baylor Will start for the Bears. Likely to be a stud in his second season.

CF Kyte McDonald - Rice Will start in center for the Owls.

LHP Payton Tolle - TCU #8 on the D1 list. Will be a weekend starter and will hit a ton for the Horned Frogs and then be drafted very high next summer.
                        RHP Nate Sneed - Tennessee #18. 53Ks in 42 innings as a FR. He'll be a big part of an outstanding Vol bullpen if not their star reliever.
                        RHP Austin Henry - Oklahoma #49. I've been touting him for 2 years. He'll be a weekend guy if healthy, maybe their ace.
                        RHP Grant Adler - Kansas #81. Sub 3 ERA inning eater will be a weekend starter if not the Jayhawks ace.
                        RHP Clark Candiotti - Arizona Will be a weekend guy for the Wildcats.

RHP Robert Cranz - Oklahoma State Will be a key piece of the Pokes bullpen.
                        LHP Jace Miner - Oklahoma #106 Will be a big part of the OU pen as he would have been here. At least.

RHP Aiden May - A real STRETCH here but this guy was committed here before going Juco, then Arizona and now the #15 transfer to Oregon State.

Pros that had eligibility remaining. 2B Brock Rodden would have been POY (I realize good guys go pro). 3B Xavier Casserilla was a draft eligible sophomore who never made it to Oklahoma State and is now in the Astros organization. RHP Jace Kaminska is in the Colorado system after being drafted following a decent junior season at Nebraska.

Now, before anyone misreads what I am saying (and not saying), this group hardly won big so just because there's a ton of experienced talent doesn't mean they were going to suddenly know how to win a bunch more games. We've had oodles of big time talent for several seasons with little to no meaningful success. Maybe it's time to worry more about the team aspect of the game and less about talent. I think we all would agree, something needs to change.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Is this the list your are referring to: https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles...?article=22451
                          yes thats it

Comment

• I agree with the good doctor in that we have had oodles of talent and perhaps the team aspect needed more attention. Something needed to change and perhaps with the new staff and an almost all new roster something will change. It didn't seem to change much the last ten years. Go Shocks

Comment

• RH: Podcast With Tad Reida On Shocker Baseball

Wichita State baseball director of operations Tad Reida talks about his return to Wichita, his relationship with coach Brian Green and facing Mike Pelfrey in practice at Wichita State. We discuss his impressions of fall standouts and his recollections of two memorable moments from his Shocker career. WSU wraps up the fall with a three-game series on Friday (5 p.m.), Saturday (1 p.m.) and Sunday (1 p.m.) at Eck Stadium. Reida joined coach Brian Green's staff in June after 13 years in Denver with CageRat youth baseball program. He played for the Shockers in 2004 and 2005 before finishing his career at Indiana.

Listen to the podcast

Comment

• Go Shockers - Baseball Announces 2024 Schedule

Wichita State baseball announced the 56-game 2024 regular season schedule on Friday.

The slate is loaded with quality opponents, highlighted by a trip to the Jax College Baseball Classic to battle Virginia, Auburn and Iowa, home series against Long Beach State, Nebraska and Gonzaga, plus midweek matchups with Oral Roberts, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. 30 of Wichita State's 56 games are against teams that finished last season in the top 100 of the RPI.

Fans can catch every game at Eck Stadium this season by purchasing 2024 Season Tickets at GoShockers.com/tickets or by calling the Ticket Office at 316-978-3267.

The 2024 home opener is scheduled for March 1 against Utah Tech, the first of 29 home games on the docket. Wichita State is slated to host a game at Riverfront Stadium in downtown Wichita for a fourth consecutive season; details for that contest will be announced in the coming days.

Wichita State opens the season with a three-game series on the road at Little Rock on February 16, kicking off a stretch of seven straight road contests to begin the year. The longest homestand of the season runs from March 8-19, as the Shockers play nine consecutive games in the 316.

The American Athletic Conference schedule consists of 27 games divided into nine three-game series. The Shockers host new conference members Rice (March 28-30), Florida Atlantic (April 12-14) and Charlotte (May 10-12) at Eck Stadium, along with a home series against Tulane (April 26-28). WSU hits the road for conference sets against UAB (March 22-24), South Florida (April 5-7), East Carolina (April 19-21), UTSA (May 3-5) and Memphis (May 16-18).

The midweek schedule is filled with familiar opponents. The Shockers play Oral Roberts, Kansas, and Kansas State twice, with three matchups scheduled against both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

The American Athletic Conference tournament is scheduled for May 21-26 in Clearwater, Florida. The tournament will once again be held at BayCare Ballpark, spring training home of the Philadelphia Phillies.

The Shockers are coming off a 30-25 season a year ago that included a 14-10 mark in the American Athletic Conference. Head coach Brian Green is in his first year with the program and returns lineup mainstays Mauricio Millan, Seth Stroh, and Jaden Gustafson, plus reliable arms Caden Favors and Matt Wilkinson. The roster is bolstered by a recruiting class that was ranked 36th nationally by Perfect Game.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X