No announcement yet.

2023 Off-season and Portal Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They should consider hiring "one of the best to ever do it".
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      They should consider hiring "one of the best to ever do it".
      Based on what was reported it sounded like HCBG did consider it. How seriously is hard to say.

"One of the best to ever do it" no doubt refers to Pelf's playing days and as far as I know he is out of eligibility.

Would he have been a better hire than Anthony Claggett. Who knows. More often than not the best players do not make the best coaches although there are exceptions. It's not like Pelf did not receive a lot of criticism on this board, warranted or not. However, what's done is done and I would suggest we follow Pelf's lead and supprort the staff in place now, at least until they prove they don't deserve that support and that is at least 2 or 3 years away.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 17, 2023, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Based on what was reported it sounded like HCBG did consider it. How seriously is hard to say.

"One of the best to ever do it" no doubt refers to Pelf's playing days and as far as I know he is out of eligibility.

Would he have been a better hire than Anthony Claggett. Who knows. More often than not the best players do not make the best coaches althought there are exceptions. Its not like Pelf did not receive a lot of criticism on this board, warranted or not. However, what's done is done and I would suggest we follow Pelf's lead and supprort the staff in place now, at least until they prove they don't deserve that support and that is at least 2 or 3 years away.
        I definitely support 'em. In fact, I want them to be crazy successful. That's why they should consider hiring Pelfrey.

Wasn't there a two-pitching coach concept they were throwing out there? When half your team is pitchers, it actually kinda makes sense. One to focus on recruiting and tactics, and then another that's 6'large to go out on the mound and menace over the underclassman throwing wild pitches (but mostly working on technique). You could probably never get two pitching coaches to mesh like you'd want though, especially when you are in a drought. Probably a really bad idea come to think of it.

Oh well.

Comment

I definitely support 'em. In fact, I want them to be crazy successful. That's why they should consider hiring Pelfrey.

Wasn't there a two-pitching coach concept they were throwing out there? When half your team is pitchers, it actually kinda makes sense. One to focus on recruiting and tactics, and then another that's 6'large to go out on the mound and menace over the underclassman throwing wild pitches (but mostly working on technique). You could probably never get two pitching coaches to mesh like you'd want though, especially when you are in a drought. Probably a really bad idea come to think of it.

Oh well.
          If I understood what HCBG was proposing accurately, and I may not have, the second pitching coach was more of a support person for the pitching coach and would do a lot of stat analysis. Sort of like Billy Beane's assistant. Doubt that would hold any appeal for Pelf and I don't think they actually filled that postion although Tad Reida, the new DOBO may handle that as part of his duties.

In any case, Mike can make postitve contributions to the program in his current role supporting the team from the outside by meeting recruits and making occassional forays into the locker room and team meeting room where he can be a source for inspiration and a sounding board.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 17, 2023, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• D1 baseball is listing the top 130 impactful transfers. It is a bloodbath of former WSU players and signees.

I will wait until the top 10 come out (Tolle for sure will be in final addition) to list all the Shockers expected to make a difference at their new school.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              D1 baseball is listing the top 130 impactful transfers. It is a bloodbath of former WSU players and signees.

I will wait until the top 10 come out (Tolle for sure will be in final addition) to list all the Shockers expected to make a difference at their new school.
              I’m not sure which feels worse, the fact that we’re losing so many impactful kids or the fact we couldn’t win with all of those impactful kids on our team.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I assume Perfect Game is only rating income high school players and doesn't include Juco's and transfers.

Comment

• WSU had some good "prospective" classes for awhile, question is can they turn that potential into results on the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    WSU had some good "prospective" classes for awhile, question is can they turn that potential into results on the field.
                    That has been the case lately

Comment

• RH: Podcast With Jaden Gustafson, Mauricio Millan On Shocker Baseball

https://goshockers.com/news/2023/10/...-baseball.aspx

Outfielder Jaden Gustafson and catcher Mauricio Millan join us to talk about their first impressions of new coach Brian Green, what makes a dugout a “championship dugout” and favorite big-league players. We also discuss newcomers to watch in Saturday’s scrimmage and advice for high school athletes.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I assume Perfect Game is only rating income high school players and doesn't include Juco's and transfers.
                        Good hustle by the staff to put together and keep the class together.

Comment

• If only we coulda kept Tolle.

Comment

If only we coulda kept Tolle.
                            That one still ‘grinds my gears’.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If only we coulda kept Tolle.
                              We coulda. They didn’t.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

We coulda. They didn’t.
                                I'm sure they tried hard tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X