No announcement yet.

Wichita State Names Green Head Baseball Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very nice interview. .No hemin' and hawin' around with Coach Green.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Ask and you shall receive: https://goshockers.com/sports/baseball/roster

Looks like 43 guys currently listed.
      I like Overcash’s bio, “straight cash homie”, should be experienced at spreading the NIL Benjamin’s.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Go Shockers - RH: Podcast With Anthony Claggett On Shocker Baseball

Listen to the podcast

Wichita State pitching coach Anthony Claggett prepares fans for baseball practices with a look at the pitching staff, how returner Caden Favors is progressing and favorite big league pitchers. We talk about why he moved from an infielder to a pitcher during his college career and how his experiences in college, the minors and the majors shape his coaching.

Anthony spent the previous four seasons at Washington State with Green and two previous at New Mexico State with Green. Anthony pitched at UC Riverside, was drafted in the 11th round by Detroit in 2005 and appeared in the big leagues with the Yankees and Pirates in 2009.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Good interview. 2 for 2 so far. After listening to Coach Claggett talk about his relationship with Brian Green I can understand why Coach Green made the decision to go with Anthony. We'll see how it goes but so far I like the vibe.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Good interview. 2 for 2 so far. After listening to Coach Claggett talk about his relationship with Brian Green I can understand why Coach Green made the decision to go with Anthony. We'll see how it goes but so far I like the vibe.
            Why do you like the vibe?

Comment

• Go Shockers - RH: Podcast With Anthony Miller On Shocker Baseball

Listen to the podcast

Wichita State assistant baseball coach Anthony Miller talks about the retreat that put Shocker coaches on the same page with their teaching and strategies. He also discusses why he reunited with coach Brian Green, impressions of fall practices and why first baseman Ryan Callahan is a savvy hitter.

We dive into the Kansas City baseball scene and why it's a hotbed for colleges and the toughest pitchers he faced in the minor leagues.

Miller was hired in June after working as assistant coach at Johnson County Community College, where he earned NJCAA All-American honors as a first baseman in 2015. He played five seasons in the minor leagues, mostly with Cleveland, and reached Double AA in 2019.

Print Friendly Version
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Pelf's contract goes through the end of the month and he made it pretty clear that he was tied to Wichita. He wants to coach at WSU. Not anywhere else.
                Those who thought that Pelfrey was being critical of the past Shocker Head Baseball Coach because he was desperate, and wanted to keep his Pitching job were just wrong. He was committed to WSU, Wichita, and living here in retirement.

He was just hired as the Head Baseball Coach at KMC. He didn't need a Div. 1 job, and he doesn't need the money. He is staying here because he wants to. He did it mainly for family.

Playing 12 years in Major League Baseball fulfilled a dream for Mike Pelfrey, who cemented his status as one of the best ball players to come out of Wichita. Following his retirement, he chased another dream: returning to Wichita State, his alma mater, and serving as the pitching coach for five seasons. With those dreams came sacrifice, namely missing out on family time with his three children during the spring and summer when baseball season was in full swing. His son, Chase, is a baseball player just like his pops and Pelfrey guessed he only caught four games a summer when he was a college baseball coach. After a coaching change at WSU in May, Pelfrey was able to watch his son play 60 times this summer. That fulfillment was fresh on his mind when Kapaun Mt. Carmel athletic director John Heise called him in August to gauge his interest in becoming a high school baseball head coach.

“All of my kids go to Magdalen, which is a feeder school for Kapaun, and my son is an eighth-grader and going to be a freshman at Kapaun next year,” Pelfrey told The Eagle. “So the opportunity to be around him, getting to spend time with him and getting to teach him the game was obviously special. That’s something I’ve always looked forward to, helping him grow as a person and as a player.”

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/varsit...#storylink=cpy

https://www.kansas.com/sports/varsit...279811004.html

Comment

• Really, really happy for Michael.

Comment

• Good for Pelf! That’s a dream that not too many people get. Coaching his son at that level and teaching him the game he has loved.

Comment

• I would guess the Kapaun kids are pretty excited about that as well.

Comment

• Another solid interview, this one with the youngster on the Shocker staff although his resume is not terrible.

Interesting tidbit about Ryan Callahan at Johnson County last year. Batting out of the 4-hole he led his team in RBI's and in Sac Bunts.

Interesting background on how Coach Miller's relationship with Coach Green developed.

Sounds like the team chemistry is starting out pretty well.

Comment

• Time to hear form the most senior member of the coaching staff:

RH: Podcast With Clay Overcash On Shocker Baseball

https://goshockers.com/news/2023/9/2...-baseball.aspx

Make it 4 for 4. All solid interviews. All sound like they know what they are doing and have a good approach. Of course, talk is cheap. Looking forward to see how the walk the walk.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 28, 2023, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X