Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State Names Green Head Baseball Coach

https://goshockers.com/news/2023/6/5...all-coach.aspx

Wichita State Athletics will introduce Coach Green at a press conference this Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the home locker room at Eck Stadium. The event is free and open to the public and will be streamed live on ESPN+.

"What a monumental opportunity to lead Shocker Baseball," Green said. "Since learning of the opportunity in recent days, we haven't slept and we are excited to join Shocker Nation. We are blessed to lead one of the most storied traditions in college baseball. Sharing the same dugout Gene Stephenson built is the honor of all honors.

"Shocker Nation, I can promise you we are coming to work; to work hard and to get to the College World Series. Our singular focus, attention and objective is to represent you in Omaha, making that dream a reality once again! Becki, Emily, Zoe and I are grateful to President Rick Muma and Director of Athletics Kevin Saal for this tremendous opportunity and honor. We can't wait to jump headfirst into the Wichita community. Go Shockers!"

What They're Saying:

"Wichita State hired one of the best coaches and human beings in the country in Brian Green. Brian is the total package as a leader, developer, recruiter, and baseball coach. That combination is hard to find but the Shockers did and secured a bright future with Brian Green as their leader."
    - Jay Johnson
    LSU Baseball Head Coach

"Brian has a solid foundation as a coach, he has been an assistant for several programs that have played at the highest level and a head coach of two programs. He led both New Mexico State and Washington State into years that were very competitive, and his players always have played with an edge. He is a great hire for Wichita State, looking forward to following the program over the next several years."
    - John Savage
    UCLA Baseball Head Coach

"Brian Green is the template of what a college baseball coach should be! Energy, experience, and above all, Brian has the superpower of human connection. His ability to recruit and develop is unparalleled."
    - Rich Hill
    Hawai'i Baseball Head Coach

"I knew when I met Coach Green that he had great energy and a passion for developing baseball players. I really started to love taking ground balls in college. He finds a way to have fun while getting better at the same time and is a big reason why I was able to make it to the big leagues."
    - Brandon Crawford
    San Francisco Giants All-Star Shortstop
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 5, 2023, 04:26 PM.

Will it be as jovial and cordial as the last two recent press conferences??
    The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
      Will it be as jovial and cordial as the last two recent press conferences??
      Those things are pretty much scripted and orchestrated but it would not appear there will be very many players attending. What did Pelf say, 4 guys who have not entered the portal (yet).

But at this point we have little choice but to give the guy a chance to prove himself.

Comment

I'm all for him getting a chance to succeed.

I was only commenting based on the pulse of the fan base, wondering if some might go only to voice their displeasure.
        The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
          I'm all for him getting a chance to succeed.

I was only commenting based on the pulse of the fan base, wondering if some might go only to voice their displeasure.
          I think it's more likely that those people just won't show up.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Based on the tone of Shockernet over the past several days and Pelf's interview with Shane it sounds like that is pretty well understood. My guess is Shocker fans will express their displeasure by continuing to avoid going to games, at least until progress is apparent.

It will be interesting to how ADKS deals with that in his presser comments, if he deals with it at all.

Comment

Time to put up or shut up, Shocker Fans.

Listen to PCMP.... you have to have fans to have a successful program. The fans recruit players before they are recruits, and sell players once they are. If you are a true Shocker fan, and not a KU basketball/Alabama football fan, step it up, and support the program. Doesn't have to be season tickets, but at least get out for Family Day (4 Tickets, 4 Hot Dogs, 4 Sodas, and 4 Popcorns) games, etc.

Let's help them set the foundation for success.

Comment

Please let there be continuity with Pelfrey as pitching coach.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  There would be no doubt where Pelf's loyalties and motivation lie. But I think it's best not to force an assistant coach on to the new guy. If HCBG decides that is his best option then I am all for that.

That said I think whoever would have been hired would face a big challenge in the current environment of College athletics. Hard to build or even expect fan interest if all you are is a farm team for the P-5, and based on Pelf's comments that is largely what we have become.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 5, 2023, 05:07 PM.

Comment

So with it official... Who did he have signed at the other WSU? Any recruits we might be able to and want to steal ?

Comment

Tweet itself not posting for some reason. Click on link. Particularly liked around the 1 minute mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        Why?
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Comment

I was just starting to get back out this year to games. While our guys were inconsistent they were usually pretty fun to watch and when we were on our game, were extremely tough to beat. It wasn’t a train wreck like under Butler and there was no cloud with Wedge gone….I saw a team that needed three more solid arms to be really decent. Now we reset which we should know within a few weeks how awful that may look.

Something about this pseudo process, the odd interview with Pelfrey and inconsistent reports on why players entered the portal, still doesn’t sit well with me.

Comment

Washington State recruits for 2023. Couple to maybe keep an eye on:

Matthew Bates - Rancho Buena Vista HS - Vista, CA - Being recruited by Wash St and Shockers.

Kevin Hammond - Keller, TX - Catcher

Coletin Berger - Roanoke, IN - LHP

Matthew Evans - Bellaire, TX - Catcher

Aidan Graham - The Woodlands, TX - OF

Drew Hallead - Austin, TX - 3B

Comment

Working...
                              X