Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
    Felt like this was the best place to put this.

Seems to be a big deal, as from what I can gather, Joe wasn't too enthusiastic about the program, especially since Gene was let go. I would see him regularly tweet about KU which made me ill.

I would not be shocked if Kevin Saal played some sort of a role here as well, since I know he was up in the KC area a couple of weeks ago.

Also, the yellow on that uniform POPS.
    I think between Saal and Wedge, it should be easier to smooth over such things with former alumni/supporters who were irked about how the Gene situation was handled.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Has this always been at the end of October?? I am admittedly fairly far removed but seems a bit late in the Kansas golf season to host a tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
        Felt like this was the best place to put this.

Seems to be a big deal, as from what I can gather, Joe wasn't too enthusiastic about the program, especially since Gene was let go. I would see him regularly tweet about KU which made me ill.

I would not be shocked if Kevin Saal played some sort of a role here as well, since I know he was up in the KC area a couple of weeks ago.

Also, the yellow on that uniform POPS.
        Is there a link I missed on this? I'd imagine it's talking about Joe Carter but I'm not sure specifically what he did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Is there a link I missed on this? I'd imagine it's talking about Joe Carter but I'm not sure specifically what he did.
          There’s a link to register for the event, but as far as Joe’s opinions on WSU baseball and Gene, it’s basically hearsay to some degree (again, I’m not one privy to any of that). Just what I have gathered from this board and other WSU fans I know.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• He could smack a golf ball back in the day, Saw him use an iron off the tee box at Brae burn on #1 and he damn near drove the green. Who needs a driver anyway? I miss the luncheon/shows at AJ's like they used to do 30 years ago.

Comment

• Go Shockers - Rodden Named Collegiate Baseball Preseason All-American

WICHITA, Kan. – Wichita State junior infielder Brock Rodden was named Third Team Preseason All-American by Collegiate Baseball.

Rodden put together one of the best seasons by any second baseman in the country in 2022, taking home a plethora of individual awards, most notably ABCA Second Team All-Central Region, American Athletic Conference Newcomer Position Player of the Year and First Team All-American Athletic Conference. He was selected by the Oakland Athletics in the 10th round of the Major League Baseball draft, but did not sign and elected to return for his junior season.

He led the Shockers in batting average (.338), on-base percentage (.441) and slugging percentage (.653) in his first season in the Black and Yellow. The switch-hitter finished the season atop the American Athletic Conference with 141 total bases, while also ranking in the top five in hits, runs scored and home runs. His 21 multi-hit games paced the Shockers squad, including nine three-hit games. Rodden ranked second nationally among second baseman in Batter Game Score (BaGS), an advanced statistical metric that combines actual results with batted ball regression, conference RPI and park factors.

The native of Oktaha, Okla., demonstrated remarkable plate discipline, drawing 39 walks while striking out 37 times. Rodden struck out just three times over the final 18 games of the season, earning 18 walks in that time frame.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• You never know what the future will hold, but Brock is certainly in a position to have a huge year and has handled himself as a professional in the off season. Anything can happen, but I expect big things from this young man this upcoming spring then hopefully a great draft result for him.

Comment

• Go Shockers - Four Shockers Preseason All-AAC, Rodden POTY

WICHITA, Kan. – Wichita State pitcher Cameron Bye, outfielder Chuck Ingram, designated hitter Payton Tolle and second baseman Brock Rodden were all named to the American Athletic Conference Preseason All-Conference Team, the league announced Wednesday. Rodden was also selected as the conference's Preseason Player of the Year.

The four selections are the most by any team in the conference. The Shockers are picked to finish fifth in the league's preseason poll.

Bye, Ingram and Rodden were each named to the American Postseason All-Conference teams in 2022. It is the first preseason all-conference honor for all four players.
                  Shockers also picked to finish 5th.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Once again things are setting up on paper to look like a very talented team and a team that should finally break through. Hopefully this is the year it happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Somehow that doesn't quite compute for me. 4 All-AAC picks including the favorite to win the POY yet picked to only finish 5th in an 8-team league. The AAC coaches obviously don't think much of our talent outside of those 4 guys. Hope the Shocks have a surprise in store for the league but only time will tell.

Comment

• There are certainly a lot of pitching questions/doubts and they are fair. Outside of Bye, we didn't have much to throw at other teams in the conference last year (Tolle was good at times for sure but not terribly consistent or did he show much in ability to go long) so assuming we're just going to slug our way to a bunch of wins seems a bit of a stretch right now. Throw in the coaching issue and it's not hard to see why we're picked 5th, and in fact I'm a little surprised we aren't picked a spot or 3 lower.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Somehow that doesn't quite compute for me. 4 All-AAC picks including the favorite to win the POY yet picked to only finish 5th in an 8-team league. The AAC coaches obviously don't think much of our talent outside of those 4 guys. Hope the Shocks have a surprise in store for the league but only time will tell.
                          Pitching.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Pelfrey on Bob and Jeff

Comment

• Skip forward to about 21:30 unless you want a lot of Slap Shot and Football Championship drivel.

Pelf very professional with Little Lutz & Duda.

"Do the right thing, treat the kids right and that will build trust and loyalty over time."

Feels good about the mix of returners and additions, after a brief Bye discussion, mentioned Tolle, Favors then Candiotti and Grant Adler as newbies.

Discussed again Candiotti and Adler as likely impactful right off the bat. Freshman mentioned were Nate Snead, Michael Mulhollon and Parker Dillhoff. Mentioned Austin Henry was the 9th best RH in the country before Tommy John but wants to play...maybe in May. Jace Miner and Robert Cranz have grown up.

Garrett Pennington had a good fall and the ball sounds different coming off his bat. Jack Little, freshman, crazy athletic, fast, smart, great IQ, has a chance to impact. Kyte McDonald has a chance to help us right away in the outfield.

Only goal here is to win.

Lost some guys to NIL. Has no problem with kids getting paid, does think there needs to be a cap.

LBSU lost their weekend staff to the portal. 2 to the SEC and 1 to OSU. Still will be tough and will be way ahead of us because they'll be outside from day 1.

Always good stuff from Pelf.

From the fall that I saw, to add to Pelf's comments: Snead has a big arm but is learning to pitch. Still, has 3 strong pitches. Didn't see Mulhollon but they are excited about his upside. Dillhoff is a crafty lefty. Obviously haven't seen Henry but from all reports he's the real deal, just have to see how he does after TJ. Miner struggled a bit in the fall, Cranz looked good and had a strong summer.

Pennington is a monster. Little got hurt but yeah, he's a boatload of talent. Incredibly fast. I see no starting lineup that doesn't include Kyte McDonald.

Comment

• Looks like our guys should be out from day one if the current weather holds. But it is Kansas

Comment

Working...
                                X