Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Yeah.....this isn't a good sign for anyone. Don't get me wrong, X is a good kid, polite, hard working, respectful, good student etc etc.

But the staff bent over backwards for him. Played him all year, even when he kicked it several times at 3rd and was batting south of .200 for most of the year. Seniors got benched and he played nearly every game. One of 3 things....someone is (giving him bad advice) ear that shouldn't be (handler), he's running from the challenge (I don't think that's it) or there's tampering with promises of money somewhere. None of these things are productive, long term, for anyone.

Wish him the best, but this **** has to stop. It's unsustainable.

And, truth be told, we're probably not done.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Yeah.....this isn't a good sign for anyone. Don't get me wrong, X is a good kid, polite, hard working, respectful, good student etc etc.

But the staff bent over backwards for him. Played him all year, even when he kicked it several times at 3rd and was batting south of .200 for most of the year. Seniors got benched and he played nearly every game. One of 3 things....someone is (giving him bad advice) ear that shouldn't be (handler), he's running from the challenge (I don't think that's it) or there's tampering with promises of money somewhere. None of these things are productive, long term, for anyone.

Waiting a month before going into the portal is clearly a sign of someone promising him the moon unless his life circumstances have changed dramatically.

Comment

Good Lord this isn’t good.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I guess I need to change the way I look at our student athletes...just think of them as double A players looking to get a break to transfer to the big leagues or to the Show. Sad

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
              I guess I need to change the way I look at our student athletes...just think of them as double A players looking to get a break to transfer to the big leagues or to the Show. Sad
              I think that your point is meant toward college athletics. With all of today's distractions (entertainment, computers, etc.), and poor leadership, I worry about most youth because many parents aren't up to today's challenges (to help our youth find hobbies, interests, and lifelong friends from these activities), which are much more difficult than a generation ago, and most youth drop out of athletics and activities very early in life, where 20-30 years ago, they'd stick with athletics longer (you can tell by the numbers of overall kids participating in high school athletics sinking);although admittedly there are enclaves where kids do participate in higher numbers.

I think in today's generation, it begins earlier in the youth leagues. Every kid makes early decisions with goals to either be a major leaguer or give it up (it's probably a little more complex than that but I'm making a point). Therefore, at 10 or 12 years old, kids already consider themselves FREE AGENTS, looking for the best deal, and not giving loyalty to anything or anyone. In some cases, maybe that is ok, but overall, I think it leads to problems for growing kids.

Everything's about "playing time, and winning". College Free Agency, has just exacerbated the problem.

I will add that the ironic thing is that in College Baseball, there has always been Free Agency, but with the many highly publicized Free Agents that has just come about with Football, and Basketball, it has added to the problem in other sports that in the past just had an 18 week waiting period before eligibility.
              Last edited by Shockm; June 27, 2022, 11:52 AM. Reason: Mistake Not 18 month

Comment

247 - Wichita State pitcher commits to Husker program

Nebraska baseball added an immediate impact arm out of the transfer portal, picking up a commitment from Wichita State pitcher Jace Kaminska, he confirmed to Husker247.

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound right-hander wrapped up his sophomore season at Wichita State in the spring and will have two seasons of eligibility in Lincoln.

Kaminska burst onto the scene in 2021 as a freshman putting together an 8-1 record to go along with a 2.32 ERA, 51 strikeouts and 19 walks in 62 innings of work. Kaminska tossed two complete games that season, and earned American Athletic Conference newcomer of the year honors, as well as Freshman All-America honors from Perfect Game and Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I’m really starting to wonder if we avoid high schoolers absent a few exceptions in the recruiting process. Find two or three feeder schools like Cowley and the rest fill in with portal kids.

SMDH!

Comment

No offense, but he just went from one struggling program to another. Big Ten will probably be easier on him though.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        I’m really starting to wonder if we avoid high schoolers absent a few exceptions in the recruiting process. Find two or three feeder schools like Cowley and the rest fill in with portal kids.

SMDH!
                        Excellent point. Here's another thing. What incentive do the coaches have to treat the kids well if they're just going to bolt? If there's going to be no loyalty from the student athlete, expect none from the staff (eventually). JMO

And also SMDH, violently.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Excellent point. Here's another thing. What incentive do the coaches have to treat the kids well if they're just going to bolt? If there's going to be no loyalty from the student athlete, expect none from the staff (eventually). JMO

And also SMDH, violently.
                          I wonder what benefits there might be if the fans (and maybe the forums) get behind the student athlete who actually DO show some loyalty?

Comment

• I wonder what benefits there might be if the fans (and maybe the forums) get behind the student athletes who actually DO show some loyalty?

The portal has made it more than convenient for players to go look for other options. It may be easy to assume that this always comes down to coaching style, etc but there are many factors that may make a guy decide to try something new. Forget NIL. It’s going to be a bit before NIL hits the baseball group, but the collectives that are being formed at other universities will become more and more influential when it comes to someones decision to leave.

There will also just be cases where a kid may miss home or want to live closer to family. Maybe he misses his moms meatloaf. Maybe he is burned out and needs a change. The coaches are an easy target, but I don’t think wedge,Pelfrey or Sirianni are always the true reason.

We all need to get our heads around the fact that until the NCAA gets a handle on the portal, we will have a revolving door of players that come and leave.

Props to the guys that want to stay and build on a previous year.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I’m gonna be pissed if another Shocker athlete kills it in Fayetteville.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxfan1975 View Post
                                I wonder what benefits there might be if the fans (and maybe the forums) get behind the student athletes who actually DO show some loyalty?

The portal has made it more than convenient for players to go look for other options. It may be easy to assume that this always comes down to coaching style, etc but there are many factors that may make a guy decide to try something new. Forget NIL. It’s going to be a bit before NIL hits the baseball group, but the collectives that are being formed at other universities will become more and more influential when it comes to someones decision to leave.

There will also just be cases where a kid may miss home or want to live closer to family. Maybe he misses his moms meatloaf. Maybe he is burned out and needs a change. The coaches are an easy target, but I don’t think wedge,Pelfrey or Sirianni are always the true reason.

We all need to get our heads around the fact that until the NCAA gets a handle on the portal, we will have a revolving door of players that come and leave.

Props to the guys that want to stay and build on a previous year.
                                NIL is the reason for many of the moves. We are WAY behind in a race we were never going to win in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X