Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be more.

Comment

Found this on Twitter from a month ago. Not sure how solid it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Wonder what what was behind that move by Jace? Could be a lot of things. Clearly he wasn't nearly as good this past season as he was his freshman year.
        We didn’t hear much from Coach K this year. I thought maybe it was connected to Jace having a difficult year after being so effective last year. Maybe it was more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Found this on Twitter from a month ago. Not sure how solid it is.

Has a National Championship ring.

Comment

Pelfrey’s resume keeps getting better.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Has a National Championship ring.
              That he had little to nothing to do with other than being along for the ride at Mississippi State in 2021. Hit .326 with 7 home runs for Alvin Community College this past season. OPS of .947. Struck out once in every 4 at bats.

Hopefully, he pans out along the lines of Brock Rodden and Sayre Thornhill assuming he does in fact make to Wichita State. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

That he had little to nothing to do with other than being along for the ride at Mississippi State in 2021. Hit .326 with 7 home runs for Alvin Community College this past season. OPS of .947. Struck out once in every 4 at bats.

Hopefully, he pans out along the lines of Brock Rodden and Sayre Thornhill assuming he does in fact make to Wichita State. We'll see how it goes.

He has the ring. He was at practice everyday. He worked his ass off and made the players ahead of him work their asses off to keep their place.

But you are probably right, brings little to the team. We had a roster full of guys hit .300 last year.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                  Ouch.
                  Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

He has the ring. He was at practice everyday. He worked his ass off and made the players ahead of him work their asses off to keep their place.

But you are probably right, brings little to the team. We had a roster full of guys hit .300 last year.
                    He had 18 at bats in 12 games. 1 at bat vs Arkansas and 1 at bat vs Vanderbilt where he was 0-2. His other 16 at bats were against Kent State, Grambling, Eastern Michigan, Samford, North Alabama, Southern and UAB.

He went to play ball summer ball in the Northwoods League after the regular season ended but when MSSU made it to the CWS he was invited to tag along with the team.

Not sure how you know he worked his ass off and made the players ahead of him work their asses off but let's assume that was the case. If he was so great and MSU had 2 starting outfielders graduating that year why did he end up at Alvin Community College the next year?

So is it your contention that had this kid not been on their roster that MSSU would not have won that 2021 Championship? I don't begrudge him his ring at all. The point I was making is the ring doesn't tell us very much about what kind of player we are getting.

I simply pointed out the facts regarding his very limited playing time that year. I also did not say he could not contribute at WSU. In fact, I hoped he would follow a similar path to Brock Rodden and Sawyre Thornhill. However, whether or not that will happen is unknowable at this point, at least from my perspective.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 8, 2022, 08:52 PM.

Comment

He had 18 at bats in 12 games. 1 at bat vs Arkansas and 1 at bat vs Vanderbilt where he was 0-2. His other 16 at bats were against Kent State, Grambling, Eastern Michigan, Samford, North Alabama, Southern and UAB.

He went to play ball summer ball in the Northwoods League after the regular season ended but when MSSU made it to the CWS he was invited to tag along with the team.

Not sure how you know he worked his ass off and made the players ahead of him work their asses off but let's assume that was the case. If he was so great and MSU had 2 starting outfielders graduating that year why did he end up at Alvin Community College the next year?

So is it your contention that had this kid not been on their roster that MSSU would not have won that 2021 Championship? I don't begrudge him his ring at all. The point I was making is the ring doesn't tell us very much about what kind of player we are getting.

I simply pointed out the facts regarding his very limited playing time that year. I also did not say he could not contribute at WSU. In fact, I hoped he would follow a similar path to Brock Rodden and Sawyre Thornhill. However, whether or not that will happen is unknowable at this point, at least from my perspective.
                      I’m saying it’s been 26 years since Wichita State made it to Omaha. In that time, how many players transferred to Wichita State that had been on a team that made it? Of there are any (I can’t recall any) that got a ring?

He hit .389 in his 18 plate appearances. If the boys in front of him slipped a little, don’t you think he would have gotten more appearances? .389 is .389, and it was against D1 competition.

That MSST was stacked and deep. They had a great Coach that built it, and set the bar for work ethic. If he was on the team, he was busting his ass.

The mindset that comes with that is contagious. There is a reason HCEW wants him here along with the other recruits he has coming in next year. Winners win.

I don’t hope he follows in the path of Rodden and Thornhill. I hope he follows the paths of Ross Mormon and Andy Dirks.

Comment

Careful. You’re about to be stripped of your good fan status.

Everybody hopes he pans out but all of your points are valid. Hitting .300 in 18 games against SWAC schools does not tell us anything. But of course, there are some out there that have us assured that they will be HOF material by the time their careers are done here. These people are batting 1.000 on their predictions so keep that in mind.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          Everybody hopes he pans out but all of your points are valid.
                          The opportunity will certainly be there for McDonald. At this point we only have 4 returning outfielders with Chuck Ingram, Jordan Rogers , Seth Stroh and Will Stark.

Ingram is a lock for centerfield. Stroh generally platooned against right-handed pitching and struggled mightily against lefties. Stark only hit .162 in 37 bat spread over 15 games. Rogers was actually listed as an infielder on the roster but ended up in left field. Not sure if he is a candidate to move into the infield to replace or help replace Andrew Stewart at shortstop.

Don't know about the prospects for other newcomers.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 9, 2022, 07:35 PM.

Comment

It’s wishful thinking to believe Ingram will be back. He is a lock for the draft. It’s possible Rodden gets picked up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockshock View Post
                              It’s wishful thinking to believe Ingram will be back. He is a lock for the draft. It’s possible Rodden gets picked up as well.
                              Let’s be clear. Ingram has a bunch of upside. But unless you are rounds 1 or 2 in the new world, there are way too many variables for anyone to be a lock. Chuck and. Brock had great seasons, but they would do better to come back to school and show an IT factor that didn’t happen this year.

They are not alone. There are many agents helping young men adapt to the new world of fewer teams and smaller rosters. One of the best was to do that is a standout year in College.

There are a couple kids who show in mocks of being 1st round that are concerned if they will get drafted at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockshock View Post
                                Has the draft eligibility rules for MLB changed this year? Is MLB no longer requiring 3 years of college if the player doesn’t become a professional after high school? Ingram will be a 3rd year Junior (no RS) next year, and under past rules, he isn’t eligible for the draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X