No announcement yet.

Valley ranked #7 in warren nolan rpi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Valley remains solidly in 6th place in the conference rpi (slightly closer to #5 C-USA then #7 WCC)

Valley warren nolan rpis tonight: MoST #39, WSU #41, Indy St. #42, ISUr #57, UE #88, Bradley #119, SIU #123, Cu #165

DBU #25

Comment

• Originally posted by tripleshock View Post
      Pretty amazing that this terrible team has an RPI like it does. I could be wrong but we've had much better teams that struggle to get these RPI numbers. Those teams also had much better records. I could be wrong though...
      I disagree with your statement that this is a terrible team but you are right that some very good Shocker teams have struggled to get good RPI numbers.

The 1993 team comes to mind. That team finished the regular season, as I recall with a RPI of something like 53. That team's chances of getting a ncaa bid were somewhat iffy- they knew they had to do well in the Valley tourney to secure a bid. They ended up winning the Valley tourney and getting sent to Georgia Tech as a 3 seed. That team ended up upseting Georgia Tech and got to Omaha and ended up playing in the national championship game (losing to LSU).

Comment

• do you guys think the MVC can get to #5 in the conference RPI? We're not that far off. If so why not get 3 teams in the NCAA field?

Indiana State has scheduled a game Tuesday at Purdue. Butler had to cancel games against us and Purdue because they over scheduled, so we were able to schedule Purdue. If ISU can win that game that would help.

Comment

• This team currently has a .584 win % which I think would be the 2nd lowest in Gene's history if the season ended today. So, I still stand by my comment that this is a terrible team in terms of shocker baseball. There is still some time for them to right the ship. Although, I'm not sure it matters what they do from here on out. This is not what shocker baseball used to be.
          although the best things in life are free, upgrades are usually available

Comment

• WSU now has the top RPI in the MVC and higher than all teams in the Big XII other than Baylor and Texas A&M. I believe we still need a sweep next week and some help so we can finish 2nd in the MVC.

Comment

• Blows my mind that WSU is having the season it is and still has a better RPI than any Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma team. Great Plains baseball is sucking hard now days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta town View Post
                Blows my mind that WSU is having the season it is and still has a better RPI than any Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma team. Great Plains baseball is sucking hard now days.
                It is pretty amazing. WSU even has a better rpi than the Texas Longhorns (#50).
                Last edited by shox1989; May 13, 2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• It just goes to show that RPI is some what useless. Do you think we are better most of the big 12 teams? I doubt it.
                  although the best things in life are free, upgrades are usually available

Comment

• Actually i know WSU is cut above KU/KSU for sure this year. TT is right there with KSU/KU so I will assume WSU is better than them. Looking at Mizzu and what they have done overall and out of conference I will say better than them as well.

I would say WSU falls in with OSU/OU/UT this year. Looking over their schedules I would say WSU would be a competitor with these guys. Although OU did just sweep Baylor.

Certainly below Baylor/A&M.

So yes this year WSU is better or even with than MOST of the B12 teams.

If OU wasn't a bunch of turds and still played WSU we would have a better idea.

Comment

• The times I have seen Texas play on TV they didn't look that good to me. I would definitely like WSU's chances against Texas this year. Shoot they even lost in Austin to Ku.

Comment

• I know the RPI can be flawed but it is also heavily relied upon during the selection process. When you factor in that WSU has a Strength of Schedule better than any Big XII team other than Baylor, it is hard to say any of the top 3 teams in the MVC wouldn't be in the mix in the Big XII (for 3rd thru 5th... I think everyone would agree Baylor has separated themselves from the rest of the pack and A&M was very good during their non-conference schedule).

I think it is hard to look at WSUs W/L record and think this could be a decent team. I know we had a SOS in the mid 40s with our Super Regional teams in 2007 and 2008 but I don't ever recall a high 20s, low 30s SOS. This team has given us plenty of reasons to question them (bonehead base running, lack of agression at the plate, incosistent pitching, spotty defensive early on) but they are very young and have appeared to improve as the year went on. I'm not trying to be too much of a sunshine pumper, or say this is a Shocker team of old, but if we can somehow get into a regional and get these young guys some post-season experience it could really make a difference next year and two years from now.
                        Last edited by shockfan89_; May 13, 2012, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tripleshock View Post
                          This team currently has a .584 win % which I think would be the 2nd lowest in Gene's history if the season ended today. So, I still stand by my comment that this is a terrible team in terms of shocker baseball. There is still some time for them to right the ship. Although, I'm not sure it matters what they do from here on out. This is not what shocker baseball used to be.
                          As I'm sure you know by now, I'm one of the biggest anti-Pumpers out there. However, I'll give credit when credit is due. I didn't even realize until just recently how good WSU's SOS is. It's Top 30 good. That's why the RPI is so high even after just an ok record. The competition has been pretty good. WSU hasn't been beating up on creampuffs and inflating their record. Normally, even the really good WSU teams of the past haven't had SOS's this good, mainly because of the sucky conference. Well, this year, the Valley has helped them along with some pretty good OOC games.

For a team that is so young, mildly inept, and with questionable at best coaching, they haven't actually been as bad as their record indicates compared to past teams. No, I don't think they're a really good team, but considering all factors, they have performed better than I previously thought. Acceptable by WSU standards? Absolutely not.

I wrote WSU off as an at-large team a while ago. I didn't realize their SOS was so good. That may end up backing them into a regional. Still 4 games left along with a postseason tournament. I still say it's an outside chance WSU makes it as an at-large. Is it is grim as I once thought? Not quite. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong there.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Well said Fever. The real question is were you at the game today?

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                              Well said Fever. The real question is were you at the game today?
                              ;) Indeed I was. Came very, very close to leaving in the middle of the 9th, but glad we stayed.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                ;) Indeed I was. Came very, very close to leaving in the middle of the 9th, but glad we stayed.
                                I think we should take up a donation to send Fever to Omaha this week. Heck let's send him Tuesday for the Nebraska game. We need every win we can get!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X