Valley ranked #7 in warren nolan rpi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valley ranked #7 in warren nolan rpi

Although it is still pretty early to put too much stock in the rpi, enough non-con games have been played for it to begin to take shape.

The Valley is #7 right now. WSU (8-6) actually has the best rpi in the Valley at #39.

But there are several top 100 teams right now: Bradley (5-4) #44, SIU (8-5) #56, SWOMO (10-3) #53, Illinois St. (7-3) #77.

Last year's conference champ Creighton (5-5) is just outside of the top 100 at #112.

The other two Valley teams are Indy State (8-4) #138 and Evansville (6-5) #196.

I know it is way too early to take these numbers very seriously, but I sure would love it if WSU ended up around 39 and the Valley ended up anywhere near #7 with several teams in the top 100 and no one above 200.
    Last edited by shox1989; March 8, 2012, 02:02 AM.

One reason the WSU rpi is so good right now even with a 8-6 record is that all 6 of our losses have come against the rpi top 50. All of our games except 5 (ORU and the 4 against UND) have been against the rpi top 50.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
      All of our games except 5 (ORU and the 4 against UND) have been against the rpi top 50.
      And that's also where over 50% of our wins have come from so far.

You can look for optimism all you want. But, like you said, it's still way early. Let's see if the team can get some Top 50 wins this next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockitude View Post
        And that's also where over 50% of our wins have come from so far.

You can look for optimism all you want. But, like you said, it's still way early. Let's see if the team can get some Top 50 wins this next week.
        This was the first that I have looked at the rpi this year and I was very surprised that with an 8-6 record that it was at #39. I was just giving an explanation as to why it was that good with an 8-6 record. When all of your loses are against the top 50, your rpi is going to be pretty good.

Comment

I think it is still too early to be paying much attention to the RPI.

Having said that I think there is little doubt that all of the teams we have played so far except North Dakota are good teams that are going to end up in either the RPI top 100 or top 50 by the end of the season.

Comment

Yeah. It is a little dynamic at this point. Before yesterday games the mvc was the 11th ranked conference and wsu was ranked 140th. But things will start firming up in the next couple weeks. This is a big home stand for wsu this weekend. It just shows that even as it seems the sky is falling early on that if the shox can continue to grow and improve the post season goal is still viable.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
              Yeah. It is a little dynamic at this point. Before yesterday games the mvc was the 11th ranked conference and wsu was ranked 140th. But things will start firming up in the next couple weeks. This is a big home stand for wsu this weekend. It just shows that even as it seems the sky is falling early on that if the shox can continue to grow and improve the post season goal is still viable.
              Boy you are right about the rpi still being pretty dynamic right now. I just checked our rpi today and even though we didn't play today we dropped from #38 to #46.

Also even though NO Valley games were scheduled today, the Valley moved up to #6 in the conference rpi.

It is a good point about all of our opponents so far (except UND) will probably end up in the top 100 and some of them in the top 50.

If we can get on a nice winning streak we could finish the season with a nice rpi. In spite of our 0-3 start we are still in a decent position to make post season play.

Comment

This was a rare day in Valley Baseball. All 8 Valley teams won!

Okay it is too early to look at the rpis, but 8 non-con wins is going to do wonders for the rpis when they do matter:

The Scores: Cu 11 @Pacific 9, Indy St. 5 Tenn.-Martin 3, Illinois St. 7 Maine 1, MoST 3 SIU-E 0, BU 12 Bowling Green 4 (at Winter Haven, FL), UE 4 @Tenn. Tech 1, SIU 3 Jacksonville St. 2.

It appears that our win was by far the best, but I don't think the Valley goes 8-0 very often in baseball.

Comment

After taking two from Purdue today I checked our rpi. It is #39. Not bad at all. I know it is still a little early yet for the rpi but after 22 games it has to be taking on some meaning.

Purdue's rpi dropped from #3 to #9. So their second and third losses of the year didn't hurt them too badly.

The Valley stands at #9, again not bad. And within striking distance of the Southern (#8), Big 12 (#7) and the Big West (#6).

Most conferences will begin conference play in the next 2 weeks, so the conference rpi should start firming up pretty quickly.

Comment

I still think it is a little too early to be looking at our RPI. But as I said before every team we have played so far except the 4 games against North Dakota are probably going to end up in the RPI top 100. A few of the teams including Purdue should end up in the top 50.

At the end of the season, our SOS should be pretty good. If we can win a lot of conference games and a good amount of our remaining non-conference games we should end up with a decent RPI too. Last year we ended up with a RPI in the mid to high 70s. This year we still have a decent chance to finish in the top 50 which puts us in a good position to end up in the ncaa tournament.

Comment

According to warren nolan the WSU Strength of Schedule right now is #19.

Comment

Warren Nolan also lists WSU's 26-0 win over UND as tied for the largest margin of victory this season with Illinois State's 28-2 win over Tennessee Tech.

The 26 runs scored in that game by WSU is also listed as the third highest number of runs scored in any game this season.

Indiana State is listed as having won 10 straight games. The 5th longest current winning streak in the country. Purdue had won 10 straight before we beat them on Saturday.

Comment

As of this afternoon, WSU has moved up to #36 in the Warren Nolan rpi and the Valley is at #8. I know it is still a little early but I like those numbers. And it is not a bad place to be in 22 games into the season.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                            As of this afternoon, WSU has moved up to #36 in the Warren Nolan rpi and the Valley is at #8. I know it is still a little early but I like those numbers. And it is not a bad place to be in 22 games into the season.
                            And you want some sunshine pumping action from me? How about the Shox being the only double digit loss team in the RPI Top 50 right now. Whoooo hoooo!

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                              And you want some sunshine pumping action from me? How about the Shox being the only double digit loss team in the RPI Top 50 right now. Whoooo hoooo!
                              First of all that is a little bit deceptive. We have played more games than a lot of other teams. For example Clemson right in front of us at #35 is 9-8, Texas at #41 is also 9-8 (yes we have a better rpi and record than Texas right now), #46 Furman is 11-9 and #49 Rutgers is 8-9 and #51 Houston is 8-10.

Second being in the top 50 with a 12-10 record shows you what a tough schedule we have played so far. Indiana St is 16-4 but their rpi is just 79. There have been past seasons where our record and rpi have looked like that.

Fans have complained a lot in the past that we need to be play a tougher schedule. Well this year we are doing it. And while our overall record is just 12-10, it is leaving us in a good position to get an at large bid if we can take care of business in our conference.

Comment

Working...
                              X