Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next WSU Baseball Coach - Who is your choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who here wants to tell Shane he is wrong?

Not me.

Wedge, please.

Comment

• shockfan89_
      shockfan89_ commented
      Editing a comment
      The only disagreement I have with Shane is that Wedge would need to add a top notch experienced college recruiter to his team. I think Hooper would be an AMAZING assistant if Wedge can pull that off. Not sure I am sold on Pelfrey as PC yet, but can you imagine a staff of Wedge, Hooper, and Pelfrey? Is there any staff in the country with more MLB experience than that?

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Hooper would be an excellent hitting coach!

T

...:cool:

Wait. What? Am I missing something? What was Shane doing at the MVC baseball tournament?

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      He may have had an existing contractual commitment. OTOH he is an excellent baseball pla-by-play baseball announcer and/or color commentator and could be the money was too good to pass up. One thing about the Valley hiring Shane as their lead guy or one of the lead guys is they would have an objective, unbiased call of the games.

• SB Shock
      SB Shock commented
      Editing a comment
      making a living

• Shocktoberfest
      Shocktoberfest commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course. Makes sense. Good for him. He does do a great job.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    The Roundhouse: Baseball Q&A with Darron Boatright

What is Wichita State looking for in a coach?

I want someone that has a presence of confidence, that really understands the role of a teacher and has the ability to take similarly talented individuals and prepare them in a manner to reach uncommon results.

I'm looking for the perfect combination – I want someone with the drive and determination of Gene Stephenson, the speaking ability of Zig Ziglar and the life history of Billy Graham and the ability to coach like Whitey Herzog.

My personal preference and the guy I think best fits the needs of the Shocker baseball program is Kevin Hooper. Whoever, they hire, must be able to pick their own assistants.
    I'm sorta terrified that Boatright knows who Zig Zigler is, and thinks enough of him to mention him in a quote like this. The cross-section of people on my own FB page who mention that dude isn't good - real estate agents, multi-level marketing cult weirdos, etc. Quoting Zig Zigler is like the scarlet letter of bat sheet crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
      IMO, if Wedge is interested you have to go get him. Having heard him speak, I have zero doubts about his ability to recruit. He's still running camps with high school and younger kids, so I think he'll be able to relate, and has a gravity and MLB pedigree that would be pretty much unmatched in all of NCAA baseball.

For those of you who have speculated that Wedge might be more interested in an MLB managerial job and/or for those of you trying to gauge his potential interest in the WSU job, here's an anecdote from Oct. of last year.

" ... When asked if he would consider managing again, Wedge replied “no chance” and that he would “never manage again.” He’s comfortable in his current role and the opportunity to be with his family that his current position affords him is what he’s always wanted. ..." (https://mopupduty.com/the-sweet-rele...-mortem-101518)

Certainly, managing WSU wouldn't have the same time requirements of an MLB gig, so the family time thing might not be an issue. The remaining questions in my mind would be:
      • Would he be willing to leave MLB and uproot his family (including kids aged 11 and 13)?
      • Does he feel up to it after suffering a mild stroke while managing the Mariners in 2013?
      • Is there an amount of money that could mitigate questions 1 and 2, and can WSU meet that price?
      My guess is that this is a "no" but I would love to be wrong.

That said, Kevin Hooper would be equally charismatic and great at recruiting, and still has the MLB pedigree -- albeit without an AL Manager of the Year trophy in his office. Standiford has an established recruiting network and can clearly coach. Tabor hadn't had a season above .500 for at least 5 years before he took over. He's won at a plus .700 clip since.
      Dude lives on gorgeous Mercer Island, across the bay from Seattle. Google it and tell me with a straight face that you would not just move yourself, but also uproot your family from such a locale, so that you could move to Wichita-freaking-Kansas.

I mean I'm not saying no one would make the move, but if it were me? No amount of money or position.

Comment

• Wuzee
        Wuzee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, another compelling reason that it won’t be Wedgie.

• shockerfanmas
        shockerfanmas commented
        Editing a comment
        Everything and everybody has a price. If the offer is right, Wedge will come. That said, if I have a chance to ever move to Seattle, it's bye bye Wichita and I'm never looking back

• Kung Wu
        Kung Wu commented
        Editing a comment
        Y'all can have Seattle. That climate is awful. Very cool place to visit. Very dreary place to live.

Dude lives on an island that has short dry summers that are partly cloudy. Winters are cold wet and mostly cloudy. Warm season lasts 2.8 months. Cool season is 3.6 months with the rest being cold. I for one enjoy Wichita freaking Kansas

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
        SHOCKvalue commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah cooler summers and warmer winters sound terrible. Plus all those annoying trees, mountains, and bodies of clear water, with all the outdoor sports activities that go along with them.

Let’s just sit on the couch, watch TV and play on the iPad. The furnace and the AC work great!

Sincerely,

Wichita

• OregonShocker
        OregonShocker commented
        Editing a comment
        If we all liked the same thing, we'd all live in the same place. I've lived in Oregon 13+ years now. My oldest son lives in Bellevue (other side of Mercer Island from Seattle). The summers are not hot (most places don't have AC) and cold season doesn't bring snow (if it snows, it literally shuts the area down). There are rare bugs (I don't recall the last time I had to wash bugs off the truck grill), but no flies to slap away from your hot dog in the summer. AND, a 15 mph wind brings on warnings! You look out one window and see snow capped mountains; look out the other and see water/lake/ocean. Yeah, neither of us would move back... on purpose. Not that Doo Dah doesn't have its charms (still have in laws there we visit at least annually) but Wedge has had ample opportunities to leave Seattle if he wanted to. There's prob a good reason he hasn't, and I'm betting climate has something to do with it.
        But, again, if we all liked the same thing, we'd all live in the same place.

• Kung Wu
        Kung Wu commented
        Editing a comment
        It's beautiful out there, but I couldnt handle the dreariness long term. LOVE to go visit, but ... the wetness.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      [B][U][URL="https://goshockers.com/news/2019/5/27/the-roundhouse-baseball-q-a-with-darron-boatright.aspx"]
      Whoever they hire, must be able to pick their own assistants.
      And on the subject of hiring one's own assistants, from the Dallas Baptist website...

"Dan Heefner enters his 15th season with the DBU Baseball team and 12th year as the Patriots’ head coach. Named the 2016 Missouri Valley Conference Dan Callahan Coach of the Year and recognized by Baseball America in 2013 as one of the Top 10 Coaches in College Baseball under the age of 40, Heefner has guided the DBU Baseball program to the NCAA postseason eight times, including seven of the last eight years.

In 11 seasons as the Patriots’ head coach, Heefner owns a career record of 430-229 and his .653 win percentage ranks 17th best among all active NCAA Division I coaches. During his tenure as the head coach at DBU, Heefner has also produced 15 All-Americans and 12 Freshman All-Americans.

Dating back to the 2011 season, when the Patriots won the Fort Worth Regional and advanced to the NCAA Super Regionals, DBU has won 40 or more games on seven separate occasions. The Patriots are also one of just four teams (DBU, Florida, Florida State, and Louisville) in the nation to win 40 games or more in each of the last five years.

The Patriots are coming off their fifth consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament after earning an at-large bid to the postseason in 2018. As the No. 3 seed at the Fayetteville Regional, DBU advanced to the regional finals for the fourth consecutive year, where they eventually fell to then-ranked No. 4 Arkansas, 4-3, capping off their 2018 campaign with a 42-21 record."

So why do I mention this? Because it's entirely possible that WSU's coach would have been Heefner instead of Todd Butler had the athletic department not insisted on retaining Kemnitz when it was time for Gene to go. And I hope the current AD has learned the lesson.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        I choked up a little reading your post. Hindsight is 20/20 though. Many of us on here were more than happy to see Brent stay on. We had no idea of the debacle that was soon to unfold.

T

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Dude lives on gorgeous Mercer Island, across the bay from Seattle. Google it and tell me with a straight face that you would not just move yourself, but also uproot your family from such a locale, so that you could move to Wichita-freaking-Kansas.

I mean I'm not saying no one would make the move, but if it were me? No amount of money or position.
      I don’t think that anyone who is advocating for Wedge is saying he will come. However, probably almost everyone who supports WSU baseball, including most Alumni players would all chime in with a common belief that of all former Shocker baseball stars who are Top notch candidates, Wedge would be the best hire and as Shane Dennis said, he should be asked and have the opportunity to say No. if that doesn’t occur the AD isn’t doing his job. Then move on to Hooper or whoever else is second in line.

Comment

Of the three choices, I don't think WSU can go wrong. I think all three would be outstanding coaches. Personally I like Standiford because of existing ability to recruit/established connections plus his recent college coaches successes from Tabor College of all places.

Comment

As I've said for too long, Wichita is a great place to live but wouldn't want to visit here.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent observation, Signman -- which makes Wichita exactly the opposite of Seattle.

If I had the money, I might go as far as having a summer home in Washington, but even then it would probably be on the Olympic peninsula rather than Seatlle: maybe Port Angeles, which because of the effect of the mountains actually gets less rain than we do here, plus none of the tornado-producing thunderstorms. Wouldn't want those 4pm dusks in wintertime, though.

TODAY?!

Comment

Teddy Cahill of Baseball America tweets that Wedge interviewed here yesterday.

I'm told Eric Wedge, former Indians and Mariners manager, interviewed today at Wichita State. Wedge played for the Shockers and would be a popular pick there, but hasn't ever coached in college before
            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Several thoughts /questions, on Wedge ,Seattle, Standiford and the job itself...
              *He is a young man to be 'retired'...keep the house on the island for later
              *on the OTHER hand, having visited Seattle last year...you can have it...DID like Bainbridge Island, though
              * Does winning/recruiting at Tabor translate to doing same at WSU? Probably way better than Butler did, but in the biggest sense? And I LOVED him as a player
              * Did hear or read(maybe Paul) that a look at other SUCCESFUL head coaches outside the program might be a road...maybe DBU?

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, Heefner from DBU had a shot once before and pulled out when it became apparent that he wouldn't be able to hire his own pitching coach. One hopes it would be different this time around, and the American is a step up from the Valley; but it seems like the Shocker connection is going to be a big criterion considering that restoring fan support ASAP will be a key.

I'm told Eric Wedge, former Indians and Mariners manager, interviewed today at Wichita State. Wedge played for the Shockers and would be a popular pick there, but hasn't ever coached in college before
              Stop playing with my heart...

Comment

This is a really, really safe hire for ADDB. He really has no choice but to make a legacy hire and will no doubt pretty much go down the list that the alums and fans have laid out. Wedge, Hooper, Standiford and Forbes until he gets a yes. If the guy he hires is successful ADDB will look good but if it is not successful the alums and fans won't be able to say too much about except thanks for giving it the old college try. Why ADES and ADDB, to whatever extent he was involved, did not go that route 6 years ago is a msytery to me especially considering the thin resume of the guy they did hire and the sweetheart deal they made him.

I do agree with ADDB's stated expectations:

We want this program to, year in and year out, compete for championships in our conference. In contending for those championships, we expect them to be of a caliber that is post-season worthy with an opportunity to advance.
                That I can live with. Any advancement in the post-season will just be additional icing on the cake.

Comment

• shockerfanmas
                  shockerfanmas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would eventually like the Shox to get back to the point of hosting regionals and super regionals, but yes for right now, just getting back into the postseason regularly is a great goal to have

Yes. Eric Wedge came to Wichita and interviewed Darron Boatright...

T

Comment

Working...
                X