Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next WSU Baseball Coach - Who is your choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
    Count me on board as excited for the coaching change. I wasn't around during the glory years of the 80's and 90's. I attended WSU during the mid 2000's but baseball didn't make waves on my interest radar during that time. Never was a fan of Butler, but I'm looking forward to following the program a little more closely now.
    We had awesome seasons in 2007 and 2008. Who could forget Derek Schemerhorn's winning walk off hit against Arizona in the Wichita Regional? Then having close to 8000 fans against two hard fought losses to Irvine. Then next season we get a grand slam by Clinton McKeever in extra innings to beat OSU in Stillwater to face Florida State. When no one thought it was possible against the offensive juggernaut of FSU, Rob Musgrave keeps us in the game against them to get the win in the first game of the series. Those two seasons were the last vestiges of Shocker baseball and the beginning of the drought this program is still experiencing.

Comment

It will definitely be fun to see real crowds rooting for the show again.

Comment

If this was planned, and it shouldnt have been a surprise, then hopefully the next steps will go quickly.

Lots of great candidates out there. Confident we land one.

Comment

Not sure if Shocker lore helps our situation. Is Wedge really a big enough name, he's been out of baseball for a while correct? Hooper is a great local name but national recruiting power? Minimal. Would Staniford really be interested? And again a local name. I'm leaning towards a more national search, with proven NCAA abilities, program growth, looking to move to power conference, etc...hopefully they take their time and do this right.

Comment

• lostshocker
          lostshocker commented
          Editing a comment
          wedge is employed by the toronto blue jays.

• Ricardo del Rio
          Ricardo del Rio commented
          Editing a comment
          Let's stay home.

That is a well thought out and reasonable response to the question without rancor

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktheheck View Post
          Not sure if Shocker lore helps our situation. Is Wedge really a big enough name, he's been out of baseball for a while correct? Hooper is a great local name but national recruiting power? Minimal. Would Staniford really be interested? And again a local name. I'm leaning towards a more national search, with proven NCAA abilities, program growth, looking to move to power conference, etc...hopefully they take their time and do this right.
          Shocker fans are, by and large, sorta old (and I include me, I was a kid when the Shocks won the CWS, but many fans are older). So Wedge is a HUGE name for most Shocker fans, as is Hooper. And Standiford to some degree, for people just a tiny bit older than I am. If you want to inject excitement, that would be a very good way to do it. Recruiting? Who knows? But is baseball recruiting really all that national? (I don’t know, but it seems way more regional.) There are definitely big risks with any of them, but we need people caring about Shocker baseball again. And I can’t see how we’re going to get a 100% proven commodity under any circumstances.
          There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

That sounds nice, and it is always good to hire the best you can get. But the last national search got WSU Butler (and a rejection from a quality coach). WSU has dropped even further and I expect now people don’t see WSU as a sleeping giant, but as a tough job in cold weather climate.

I don’t think AD can afford an “unknown” - he needs to hire a legacy to generate images of NCAA tournaments, CWS, National championships in the minds of the fans. The AD needs a hire that will generate attendance to help baseball from being as much of drag on the athletic department.

I expect the next coach of WSU to be announced NLT tomorrow.

Comment

Also, how did it work out for us with our last National search? We pulled the top assistant from a quality SEC school and that resulted in a failure .

I agree with Jeffrey, get the excitement back first and foremost. Wedge and/or Hooper will do that. I think Wedge's MLB Management experience is all you need for a recruiting edge on guys whose ultimate goal is to get to the MLB.

Comment

• proshox
              proshox commented
              Editing a comment
              Just find an insanely driven coach that would treat WSU as his career defining position.

The last time we did a “national search” we had a DBU coach turn us down and we got stuck with a guy that buried our program for 6 years.

So now, I’m sure a contract will be structured differently to the point where national interest will be waned, especially since the program is basically a floating turd in the toilet at the moment.

This will be a legacy hire now.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

That sounds nice, and it is always good to hire the best you can get. But the last national search got WSU Butler (and a rejection from a quality coach). WSU has dropped even further and I expect now people don’t see WSU as a sleeping giant, but as a tough job in cold weather climate.

I don’t think AD can afford an “unknown” - he needs to hire a legacy to generate images of NCAA tournaments, CWS, National championships in the minds of the fans. The AD needs a hire that will generate attendance to help baseball from being as much of drag on the athletic department.

I expect the next coach of WSU to be announced NLT tomorrow.
              xcv
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Ricardo del Rio
                Ricardo del Rio commented
                Editing a comment
                This is the genius post. I have been away a while.

Personally Id rather see a combo of Hoop and Standiford. Both are proven coaches and both have proven they can develop talent.
              Recruiting wise, Im not to worried about Hooper in that regards because #1 - He had to with Wingnuts. (A little different but still) and baseball recruiting isn't quite the same as it was back in the day.

If they decide to bring Pelfrey back into the mix Id feel a lot better in that regards. He would have both of them to fall back on. Also all 3 are Wichitan's through and Through. All 3 still live in the area. All 3 are coaching youth in the area.

Do I think this would happen? No I think its going to be either or. Which is fine

Comment

I just don't see Wedge taking this job, especially if he wants back into the majors. The good thing about Wedge though is that he cast an awfully big shadow himself and won't be intimidated by GS's presence or the history of the program. It's going to take some $$$ to get him though. For that reason I see Mark as the most likely candidate.

Comment

Agree, managers job are totally different and with a small staff in college baseball, there is a lot of backroad traveling in order to recruit. Don’t see Wedge doing it.

Comment

• Awesome Sauce Malone
                    Awesome Sauce Malone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You do realize WSU hosts quite a few top prospect camps along with hosting between 3-5 HS tournaments during the summer that good majority of top regional talent attends right?

Believe me when I say that there is little backroad recruiting being done

• SB Shock
                    SB Shock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Another thing - It is possible that Hooper or Wedge could have some pretty good MLB scout contacts who could point them to some diamonds in the rough.

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                  college baseball, there is a lot of backroad traveling in order to recruit. Don’t see Wedge doing it.
                  Not so much anymore. Lots of large recruiting venues.

Comment

For your reading leisure

Comment

• shockerfanmas
                      shockerfanmas commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have only heard of maybe 4 of those names. Can't say I'm overly impressed with the list
                  Working...
                  X