Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next WSU Baseball Coach - Who is your choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another question to be asked. Butler recruited pretty well for the most part. The next class coming in and with only 4 seniors graduating... should we expect most will honor their commitments?
    Butler brought in some pretty good players and had the #3 overall pick last year and Jenista go in the 2nd round to the braves and 10 drafted is pretty damn good.

Comment

If basketball LOI’s are an indication we will lose some. If they wait to see who will be named for head coach and staff I think we keep the majority if it’s one of the two we’re hoping gets the job

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
        If basketball LOI’s are an indication we will lose some. If they wait to see who will be named for head coach and staff I think we keep the majority if it’s one of the two we’re hoping gets the job
        Hopefully the pitchers will honor the commitment if Mike is still the new pitching coach.

Comment

1st issue the new coach must resolve is the oversigning with this years class..27 players can be receiving part of the 11.7 scholarships..if you take away the 4 seniors and add... the what was it 18 signees.. you have 41 players expecting to be one of those 27 scholarship spots..normal turnover will probably net you 4-6 spots so the current roster plus signees will need to be trimmed by approx 8-10 players..

Comment

Originally posted by Diggum View Post
            1st issue the new coach must resolve is the oversigning with this years class..27 players can be receiving part of the 11.7 scholarships..if you take away the 4 seniors and add... the what was it 18 signees.. you have 41 players expecting to be one of those 27 scholarship spots..normal turnover will probably net you 4-6 spots so the current roster plus signees will need to be trimmed by approx 8-10 players..
            Dont forget the 8 “Walk-Ons” that can also be on the 35 man roster.

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              Just like Gregg with basketball, they know how to count. Some will move on. Some of those may already have made it known as well. Others will get drafted. It's pretty much a non issue.

I’m okay with EW, I just think Hoop has a personality and excitement about him that would energize current players, fans, and recruits alike.

We cant afford to miss on this hire...

Comment

So what about a Eric Wedge as Manager, Standiford as Assistant Coach, and Kemnitz as pitching coach?

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                There is absolutely no chance Brent is coming back as the pitching coach. None. Nor should there be. Plus he's doing a fantastic job in his new role.

• Shocker85
                Shocker85 commented
                Editing a comment
                It's obvious Kemnitz had lost his edge in terms of day to day coaching. He is more valuable to the athletic department in his current role.

While several of Mini-B's recruits ranked well, they certainly weren't signing for the winning. I've got to guess it was due to B's warm and fuzzy personality. Me thinks the new head coach of the Shocker baseball team might not give off the same kind of vibe if you know what I mean.

Buckle up Buttercup!

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                So what about a Eric Wedge as Manager, Standiford as Assistant Coach, and Kemnitz as pitching coach?
                Love me some Kemnitz but he's in a perfect spot...

Comment

The Roundhouse: Baseball Q&A with Darron Boatright

What is Wichita State looking for in a coach?

I want someone that has a presence of confidence, that really understands the role of a teacher and has the ability to take similarly talented individuals and prepare them in a manner to reach uncommon results.

I'm looking for the perfect combination – I want someone with the drive and determination of Gene Stephenson, the speaking ability of Zig Ziglar and the life history of Billy Graham and the ability to coach like Whitey Herzog.

My personal preference and the guy I think best fits the needs of the Shocker baseball program is Kevin Hooper. Whoever, they hire, must be able to pick their own assistants.

Comment

IMO, if Wedge is interested you have to go get him. Having heard him speak, I have zero doubts about his ability to recruit. He's still running camps with high school and younger kids, so I think he'll be able to relate, and has a gravity and MLB pedigree that would be pretty much unmatched in all of NCAA baseball.

For those of you who have speculated that Wedge might be more interested in an MLB managerial job and/or for those of you trying to gauge his potential interest in the WSU job, here's an anecdote from Oct. of last year.

" ... When asked if he would consider managing again, Wedge replied “no chance” and that he would “never manage again.” He’s comfortable in his current role and the opportunity to be with his family that his current position affords him is what he’s always wanted. ..." (https://mopupduty.com/the-sweet-rele...-mortem-101518)

Certainly, managing WSU wouldn't have the same time requirements of an MLB gig, so the family time thing might not be an issue. The remaining questions in my mind would be:
                    • Would he be willing to leave MLB and uproot his family (including kids aged 11 and 13)?
                    • Does he feel up to it after suffering a mild stroke while managing the Mariners in 2013?
                    • Is there an amount of money that could mitigate questions 1 and 2, and can WSU meet that price?
                    My guess is that this is a "no" but I would love to be wrong.

That said, Kevin Hooper would be equally charismatic and great at recruiting, and still has the MLB pedigree -- albeit without an AL Manager of the Year trophy in his office. Standiford has an established recruiting network and can clearly coach. Tabor hadn't had a season above .500 for at least 5 years before he took over. He's won at a plus .700 clip since.
                    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

I really thought we would hear something today. Not knowing anything about anything. But I can only assume that this move was predetermined months ago. You would hopefully have your guy ready to go. Dead time is not a good thing. Especially when wanting to calm the nerves of current and future players. Hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow we will know something. Let's go Shox!!! Ready to get this thing turned around.

Comment

Let's not forget that our AD is dumber than a box of rocks, so I wouldn't be surprised if this gets stretched out and we end up with a ho hum hire. I really hope I'm wrong and that WSU baseball has a new head coach by the end of the week. Theres really only 3 names I would be really excited and happy about. but several other names that I could tolerate

Comment

• Ricardo del Rio
                          Ricardo del Rio commented
                          Editing a comment
                          signed contracts first

Things are moving quickly, all is well.

Comment

• shocker22
                          shocker22 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Based on what you've said earlier I guess the other Alums have really pushed Wedge to come back and pushed the AD for Wedge. Would love to see him back. I think odds are it's wedgy!

Bruce and Shane discussed the WSU baseball coaching vacancy on Sports Daily this morning for about 15 minutes.

https://kfh.radio.com/blogs/sports-d...-wichita-state

Shane, I thought, was pretty direct and on point with his comments.

Shane talked about the length of Todd's contract was a problem that ended up rankling a lot of Shocker fans which we saw clearly on Shockernet.

Shane clearly thinks that the biggest issue with the program at this point is the lack of attention and buzz surrounding the program and the lack of butts in the seats.

Shane said that ADDB has little choice but to bring in a Shocker legacy that will help restore some buzz and excitement with the fan base.

At the top of his list is Eric Wedge and he said they need to make him say no before considering anyone else. If Eric was hired he would need to add a top notch, experienced college recruiter to his team.

Hooper, Standiford, Forbes and Steenstra were also mentioned by Bruce but Shane clearly thinks Wedge should be target #1.

Shane basically took over this segment and I thought he was very good.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 28, 2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I doubt Kennie Steenstra is a very likely option to head the Shocker program but he could be a candidate as a pitching coach. He is currently coaching the Orioles Double-A affiliate in Bowie, Maryland. But that will be up to the next head coach.

Not sure what kind of money he makes in his current position but it probably isn't a whole lot. However, the dream is probably that he would someday catch on as a pitching coach at the MLB level. Pretty limited opportunities there though.
                      Working...
                      X