No announcement yet.

2018 MLB Draft June 4th - June 8th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This team wasn't a very good defensive team this year and didn't run the bases very well either. Out of Troutman, Vickers, Jenista, Bohm, Dugas, etc., none were elite defenders,, and several were just not very good. If our homerun power kicked in during a game, we were quite good, but if not, it was probably going to end up in a loss.

Comment

WSU had 5 players picked in the first 10 rounds and missed the NCAA Tourney. Kentucky had 6 and had the same fate. So at least WSU wasn't by itself in that category.

I heard interviews with 3 of the drafted players this morning. The pitchers talked alot about Steele. Apparently he was a good addition to the program, at least in their minds.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
        WSU had 5 players picked in the first 10 rounds and missed the NCAA Tourney. Kentucky had 6 and had the same fate. So at least WSU wasn't by itself in that category.

I heard interviews with 3 of the drafted players this morning. The pitchers talked alot about Steele. Apparently he was a good addition to the program, at least in their minds.
        You do realize they're in the SEC. The conference that got 10 of its 14 teams in the tourney. The conference that had 12 teams with a better RPI than WSU including Kentucky at 30 (WSU at 53).

Comment

What could be holding RITTER back from being drafted is he has no true tool besides hitting. Not a good runner snot has a true position at the next level. Struggled at the OF, but managed at 2B. Not sure what scouts would draft him as...

Comment

• shockfan89_
            shockfan89_ commented
            Editing a comment
            I am still shocked Ritter hasn't been drafted.

Updated:

So, through 30 rounds players drafted (# in front of school name is finish in league) (after # of players is the rounds in the draft):

7th - WSU 9 (R: 1, 2, 6, 9, 9, 16, 17, 26, 30)
          5th - UCF 7 (R: 5, 7, 14, 19, 26, 27, 29)
          2nd - USF 4 (R: 1, 8, 11, 15)
          3rd - ECU 3 (R: 5, 11, 20)
          3rd - UConn 3 (R: 2, 11, 12)
          6th - Cincy 3 (R: 10, 24, 29)
          1st - UH 2 (13, 14)
          8th - Tulane 2 (R: 4, 25)
          9th - Memphis 1 (R: 2)

Comment

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, Cody Tyler.

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Might be a little bit of a stretch to count Tyler Jones (26th round) as a Shocker since he was not on the roster this past season. Although he did pitch for the Shockers the 3 previous seasons.

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            As far as I'm concerned, he played with these others WSU players for 2 or 3 years and we didn't see any Butler team success then. While HCTB may talk up not having him this year as a reason for falling short, what about last year? Not having 100% of your players 100% of the time is just part of the game.

Luke Rittter goes in Round 37 at #1,114 to the Twins. My guess is he will be back with the Shocks next season.

Comment

Last Update:

So, through all 40 rounds players drafted (# in front of school name is finish in league) (after # of players is the rounds in the draft, broken down by every 10 rounds with / ):

7th - WSU 11 (R: 1, 2, 6, 9, 9 / 16, 17 / 26, 30 / 32, 37)

5th - UCF 8 (R: 5, 7, 14, 19, 26, 27, 29 / 37)
            2nd - USF 4 (R: 1, 8, 11, 15)
            1st - UH 3 (13, 14 / 32)
            3rd - ECU 3 (R: 5, 11, 20)
            3rd - UConn 3 (R: 2, 11, 12)
            6th - Cincy 3 (R: 10, 24, 29)

8th - Tulane 3 (R: 4, 25 / 35)
            9th - Memphis 3 (R: 2 / 31, 40)

Comment

2 Shocker Class of 2018 recruits were drafted:

Jake Plastiak, 6-3, 200lb 3B, Andrew HS, Tinley Park, IL - By the Padres in the 28th round (#831)

Connery Peters, 6-6, 235 RHP, Joshua HS, Crowley, TX - By the Dodgers with the last pick of the 38th round (#1,154)

Comment

Happy they left our other Texas guys alone. There's some talent on the way.

Comment

Not too many signing question marks I suppose.

I think Dayton Dugas in the 16th round and Keylan Killgore in the 17th round are good drafts for them and would be a little surprised if they return.

I would expect Luke Ritter will be back after being drafted in the 37th round.

I am not sure why Tyler Jones (drafted in the 26th round) was ineligible this spring. I think the consensus speculation was grades. I assume he has 1 year of eligibility remaining but if he was ineligible due to grades that would bring into question his desire to try to fix that and come back to school for one more season assuming the coaching staff would even want him. My guess is that's a long shot and Tyler is done.

I guess incoming recruit Jake Plastiak in the 28th round could a bit of a question mark. My guess is Connery Peters will be here next year. But you never know how a kid feels about school if he has any other option at all.

Comment

• shocker22
                    shocker22 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It was not grades. I won't elaborate on the why, it's not really relevant. The staff would love to have him back but it is unlikely. If he pitched at WSU in the spring he would have been drafted in the top 10 rounds.

• ShockerVille
                    ShockerVille commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed he should be back. Last year there was an incoming freshman who was drafted in either the 39th or 40th round who took the offer. Not any money here. So it’s hard to imagine this kid taking it... time will tell

A recap of Shocker draftees from goShockers.com (They exclude Tyler Jones):

2018 Wichita State MLB Draft Picks
                  Player Round Pick Team
                  Alec Bohm 1st 3rd Philadelphia Phillies
                  Greyson Jenista 2nd 49th Atlanta Braves
                  Codi Heuer 6th 168th Chicago White Sox
                  Gunnar Troutwine 9th 258th Chicago White Sox
                  Chandler Sanburn 9th 269th Texas Rangers
                  Dayton Dugas 16th 465th Detroit Tigers
                  Keylan Killgore 17th 497th Philadelphia Phillies
                  Trey Vickers 30th 911th Washington Nationals
                  Cody Tyler 32nd 951st San Diego Padres
                  Luke Ritter 37th 1,114th Minnesota Twins
                  Jake Plastiak (Signee) 28th 831st San Diego Padres
                  Connery Peters (Signee) 38th 1,154th Los Angeles Dodgers

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    So, through 10 rounds players drafted (# in front of school name is finish in league) (after # of players is the rounds in the draft):

7th - WSU 5 (R: 1, 2, 6, 9, 9)
                    2nd - USF 2 (R: 1, 8)
                    5th - UCF 2 (R: 5, 7)
                    3rd - UConn 1 (R: 2)
                    3rd - ECU 1 (R: 5)
                    6th - Cincy 1 (R: 10)
                    8th - Tulane 1 (R: 4)
                    9th - Memphis 1 (R: 2)

Interesting.
                    That could only mean one thing.

But nobody will do anything about it.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Happy they left our other Texas guys alone. There's some talent on the way.
                      Seems to me that there has been some talent here the last few years, particularly this year. And what did that net us exactly?

If the goal in this program now is just tout awesome recruiting classes (6 foot or above) and brag about getting the most players drafted, then mission accomplished.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Sam Houston alum and @GoShockersBSB OF Dayton Dugas (@DaytonDugas) tells me he'll forgo his senior season and sign with the @tigers after being drafted in the 16th round.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Seems to me that there has been some talent here the last few years, particularly this year. And what did that net us exactly?

If the goal in this program now is just tout awesome recruiting classes (6 foot or above) and brag about getting the most players drafted, then mission accomplished.

It netted us a nice, fat 7th place in the AAC, which I guess everyone who wants Todd back is ok with.

Comment

Working...
                          X