No announcement yet.

2018 MLB Draft June 4th - June 8th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one of our boys will be next off the board?

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Good question. Hard to answer.

Of the 5 seniors I would say Gunnar Troutwine, Chandler Sanburn and Cody Tyler are the most likely to be drafted if they go at all. I would think Adam Keller and Trey Vickers would go in the very late rounds if they go at all.

In the junior class I suppose Cody Heuer and Luke Ritter are the best possiblities to be drafted. Not sure if anyone would take a flyer on Dayton Dugas or not. My guess is Dayton will be back.

I think Keylan Killgore is our only draft eligible sophomore who might get drafted.

I have no idea about our 2018 recruiting class.

I would not expect any of these guys to go today in the top 10 rounds. The final 30 rounds are tomorrow.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 5, 2018, 02:16 PM.

Cody Heuer it is. Round 6, 168 to the White Sox.

Comment

Shows you what I know. Not much obviously. Codi Heuer goes in Round 6 to the White Sox in a slot worth about $290k. I think that is a very good draft for Codi.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 5, 2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
        Downtown Shocker Brown commented
        Editing a comment
        Codi has started 5 games without a decision for the Great Falls Voyagers, Chicago’s Advanced Rookie team. He has pitched 12.2 innings, and has 10 SO to 1 BB.

Gunnar Troutwine goes in the 9th round (258) also to the White Sox.
      Last edited by shockfan89_; June 5, 2018, 04:41 PM. Reason: Corrected the round from 8th to 9th.

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
        Editing a comment
        Gunner batting .250 in 9 games with Great Falls Voyagers, Chicago’s Advanced Rookie team.

If you want to see a great pic of Gunnar, check out his MiLB profile.

Chandler Sanburn in the 9th round (269) to the Rangers.

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
        Editing a comment
        Chandler has a 4.25 innings after 6.1 innings over 5 games. He has 8 SO and 5 BB for the Spokane Indians, Clevelands Short Season Class A team.

Those seem like very good drafts for Gunnar and Chandler as college seniors sometimes have to wait a while. So far I would have to say this is a very good draft for the Shockers. Maybe the best in the AAC to this point. Congrats to those seniors.

Can Luke Ritter and Keylan Killgore be too far behind?

Comment

• WuShock16
        WuShock16 commented
        Editing a comment
        In recent years with the bonus money being capped for the first ten (?) rounds, I think that seniors actually sometimes go earlier since they have no leverage for a higher bonus. Almost like the teams go to a player and say, “Will you sign a (below-average) bonus if we draft you here?”

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting observation.

So, through 10 rounds players drafted (# in front of school name is finish in league) (after # of players is the rounds in the draft):

7th - WSU 5 (R: 1, 2, 6, 9, 9)
      2nd - USF 2 (R: 1, 8)
      5th - UCF 2 (R: 5, 7)
      3rd - UConn 1 (R: 2)
      3rd - ECU 1 (R: 5)
      6th - Cincy 1 (R: 10)
      8th - Tulane 1 (R: 4)
      9th - Memphis 1 (R: 2)

Interesting.
      Last edited by ShockTalk; June 5, 2018, 09:03 PM. Reason: Added information

Comment

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        Let me see if I've got this right. When the playerws are recruited and the classes are evaluated, the Shox have the best talent in the league. When the pros evaluate the Shox players, they indicate (with their pocketbooks, no less) that the Shox have the best talent in the league.

And yet, the results indicate we have nearly the worst talent in the league.

Gee willikers! I wonder how that could happen?

• shockfan89_
        shockfan89_ commented
        Editing a comment
        And the team that won the conference had NOBODY drafted in the first 10 rounds... I wonder who was the AAC Coach of the Year?

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Those seem like very good drafts for Gunnar and Chandler as college seniors sometimes have to wait a while. So far I would have to say this is a very good draft for the Shockers. Maybe the best in the AAC to this point. Congrats to those seniors.

Can Luke Ritter and Keylan Killgore be too far behind?
      We need Ritter and Killgore back!

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, we do.

• shockfan89_
        shockfan89_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes we desperately need them both to return. Hopefully the drafts of Gunnar and Chandler help sway them to stay.

My understanding is that any player drafted after round 10 can be offered 125k without it going against the bonus pool. There isn't much difference between 125k and the slot money that Gunnar and Chandler are estimated to receive (153k and 148k). In other words, Ritter, Dugas, Lungwitz, McGinness don't stand to gain much money by returning for their SR season (if they are drafted) and they may be able to negotiate an amount that matches Gunnar and Chandler using their JR status (even if it does count against the bonus pool).

Taylor Eldrige reports on the 5 Shockers drafted in the first 9 rounds.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...212607304.html

Comment

• shockfan89_
        shockfan89_ commented
        Editing a comment
        That article is the positive spin on the draft.

The other side of the coin is WSU had, by far, the most talent in the AAC (per the results of the draft) but managed to finish 9-14 in the conference and 7th/8th place out of 9 teams.

Not draft related but Liam Eddy has been named to the Collegiate Baseball 2018 Freshman All-American team. Clearly Liam built his resume in the non-conference where he was 5-1 with a 2.29 ERA and an opponents batting average of 0.203. In AAC play Liam hit a wall and was 2-3 with a 6.15 ERA and an opponents batting average of 0.315.
      WICHITA, Kan. – Wichita State baseball student-athlete Liam Eddy has been named a 2018 Collegiate Baseball Freshman All-American.  

Comment

64% of the first 5 round picks were D1 college.

Comment

Dayton Dugas round 16, 465 to the Tigers.

Comment

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            He gone.

• Downtown Shocker Brown
            Editing a comment
            Dayton batting .281 for the Connecticut Tigers, Detroits Short Season-A team.

He batted .333 for the Tigers West in the Gulf Coast Rookie League before getting promoted.

The rest of the AAC has picked up the pace of draft picks in Rounds 11 through 15 with a total of 8 picks. USF, UConn and Houston with 2 each and ECU and UCF with 1 each.

Comment

Keylan Killgore round 17, pick 497 to the Phillies.

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              He also gone.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            The rest of the AAC has picked up the pace of draft picks in Rounds 11 through 15 with a total of 8 picks. USF, UConn and Houston with 2 each and ECU and UCF with 1 each.
            Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
            Keylan Killgore round 17, pick 497 to the Phillies.
            Well, there is 40 rounds, so the other teams could catch us because we'll run out of draft eligible players.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Cody Tyler, Adam Keller and Trey Vickers still avialable from the Shocker senior class and Luke Ritter still avialable from the junior class.

• Wuzee
              Wuzee commented
              Editing a comment
              MLB Draft Tracker lists Connor Lungwitz from the junior class as draft-eligible, as well.
          Working...
          X