Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
    Who is going to watch tomorrow?
    I was going to go flying but if the wind stays like this i'll probably go to the game instead. It gets kinda bumpy up there when the wind is screaming.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
      I am very happy with todays win; don't want to get ahead of myself but I am looking forward to tomorrows game.
      I feel pretty good about tomorrow with the way Liam has pitched so far plus I'm not sold on the Huskers offensive attack.

As far as the Shocks go I'm not sure how deep our pitching will be. So game 3 will be interesting. As will the mid-week games when they start.

Hopefully we can get quality starts on a consistent basis. We certainly got one today from Codi.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 2, 2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Codi, imho, has been a little better than his numbers, but after struggling a bit early today, his stuff was very good until the 7th when he lost a bit of steam.

Continue to be pleasantly surprised by Clayton McGinness. Young man gets thrown in the toughest spots and has made the best of it. 6 appearances in 7 games. Today, 2 on, nobody out, gets a line drive double play and a ground out. I love the attitude. Come in, be a bulldog, get ahead, let your defense do the work.

Speaking of defense, fielding a clean .989 so far. Very few mistakes, and making a play here and there (looking at you, Mr. Gunnar Troutwine and Mr. Alec Bohm!) Bohm has been fantastic at the hot corner.

Both long balls today were no doubters. Mason into the teeth of the wind would have cleared the back fence on a still day, and Bohm's missile, lol, I hope you get to see it. Watch the bat flip.....Jose Bautista blushed.

Good win against a quality ball club. Not perfect, and still a lot of questions (might be time to give Luke a day off) and pitching depth looks in doubt, especially a 4th and 5th starter. Feel good about Heuer, Eddy, McGinness, Segal and Barnhouse. Think we're ok in the long run with Snavely and Sanburn and I hope Lungwitz.

It was outstanding to see 10 out on the field after the game, in the huddle, patting the guys on the back. Just freaking great.

Comment

• shocks02
          shocks02 commented
          Editing a comment
          Cody Tyler will be back at some point too, correct?

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes CT is expected back sooner than later.

2 big swings = 8 RBI

Comment

Somebody mention Esposito earlier. I haven't said anything (mostly due to my lack of any confidence in Butler), but I felt the hiring of Sammy was a very good get. This guy has really lived baseball all his life. Dad, Sam Esposito played in the majors and was NC St head coach for some 20 years. Sammy was a catcher at NC St and has been coaching ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Both long balls today were no doubters. Mason into the teeth of the wind would have cleared the back fence on a still day.
            Not to quibble, but while the crosswind did knock the ball down a bit, without it, Mason’ shot would’ve been well foul. The wind held it up and brought it back to curl into the corner, so yay wind.
            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

The pitch Mason hit was a waist high fastball on the inner half pretty much right in his wheel house. The pitch Alec hit was probably a ball up and in and he had to pull his arms in to get the sweet spot of the bat on the ball. Both guys had quick compact swings and generated some very good bat speed especially Alec. I don't care if you had a wind behind it, if that ball did go a far as Doc described that is some serious power to generate when you are pulling your arms in.

Comment

You know your hot when you have an OPS of 1.717 and by the end of the next game you raise it to 1.732 as Alec did against Nebraska. I don't think there is any way he can sustatin that long-term but not doubt he is hot.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Luke Ritter who had a very good summer at Santa Barbara. Luke is hitting 0.80 on 2 for 25. He did hit a couple of balls hard in his last 2 AB's against Nebraska but couldn't find a hole. Hard to see that continuing long-term either.

I think Jerry Reed had a song about Alec and Luke:

Comment

Reminder: Admission to Sunday's game is free with a basketball ticket stub for the Cincy game which should end an hour or so before first pitch. Why not make it an all day event for your group.

http://goshockers.com/sports/2015/5/...ule.aspx?id=10
                  Last edited by Play Angry; March 3, 2018, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Is it possible the pitching is better because the catching is better? Seems like I've heard a lot less botched receives from behind the dish.

Perhaps it is both. Better catching of pitches that are going where they are supposed to.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                      ShockTalk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sammy might be paying dividends.

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                    Is it possible the pitching is better because the catching is better? Seems like I've heard a lot less botched receives from behind the dish.

Perhaps it is both. Better catching of pitches that are going where they are supposed to.
                    Agreed, seems like incremental progress on multiple fronts. I expect Steele's fingerprint on the staff's performance will be magnified this season.

Staff ERA was 5.97 in Brent's last season. Last year it improved significantly to a still poor 4.75. So far we are at 3.57 for this year - that seems likely to balloon a bit given the elevated competition in league play, but if (big if) that figure ends up around or below 4.00, then I think Steele will have accomplished a very impressive turnaround in his 2 year tenure.

I hope the progress continues. We will certainly need our current horses to remain healthy, as depth seems likely to be an issue.

Comment

It would certainly be a nice bonus to get Trey back and give us some more options. And no doubt about the depth. We need a surprise somewhere in the field, one of the freshman probably, to command some time and develop a little depth. Wouldn't mind seeing Josh get a few more at bats too.

Comment

NM.

It is located here: http://v6.player.abacast.net/2172

Go Shocks!
                        Last edited by DUShock; March 3, 2018, 02:03 PM.
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Jenista and Bohm go bash Bros again. Wow.

4-0 Shox bot 3

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                            1972Shocker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sounded like both were pretty much no doubters although Greyson's had to cut across the wind.

No idea why they continue to pitch to those guys.

Walking in runs is literally a better bet at this point.

Comment

Working...
                          X