No announcement yet.

Action Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 is right on the money with this one. How is calling a coaches show gonna radically change anything? If you think calling Gene is how things should be done and you agree that we need to move a different direction, then why don't you follow your own advice DaShox and call in?

You're getting worked pretty badly in this one..
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89
      Originally posted by DaShox
      Originally posted by shockfan89_
      The "it's a player problem" argument is unfathomably stupid.

The coaches recruit the players. The coaches make six figures to teach the players. The buck stops at the coaches.

Mike Cohen and Scott Thompson had player problems too. Guess where the responsibility ultimately fell.
      I really think we have good coaches and good talent but I don't think today's players respond well to the current coaching style. Gene and JT have the same style so we really don't benefit by having both of them. We need to get a younger coach that can motivate today's player and possibly take over the program some day.

I think Gene and JT take their normal hard a$$ approach with everyone, which I understand, but it obviously makes more players shut down than dig in and work harder. Experience is great but I think we have reached the point where we can sacrifice some coaching experience for someone that can better relate to the players.
      Completely agree with this assessment. However, what if Gene won't get rid of JT?
      Hey....when you finally figure out how to "dial" the phone to talk to Gene, maybe you can give us the answer. Amazing. You have all the answers but can't figure out how to "dial" a phone. Amazing.
      What good does calling in to a coach's show and berating him do? Did it turn the program around when people did that to Mike Cohen in the 1990s? Will a 30 second rant make Gene suddenly do a 180 and become effective again? Is this what you really think?

When you disagree with a politician, do you go to his office and yell at him? No. You try to persuade others to your point of view and use your pocketbook to further your cause (if you have the means).

Your pathetic attempt at being an alpha male internet bully is, well, pathetic.

Care to defend your statement that President Beggs needs to get involved and that this program's performance is unacceptable in the Fire Gene thread?
      I don't need to call in. I'm not the one with the hard-on for getting someone fired. I'll bet "you" don't call or e-mail Mr. Sexton either. You know why? Because once Ruth looks your name up and your SASO level, you'll get shut down.

Admit it. You don't want Kennedy or Gene or Brent to rip your a** on the radio and have your co-workers laugh at you the next day. That's why you don't have the balls to call and get an answer from the person running the program.

You've never spent one damn day earning a paycheck from a D1 athletic department, but, by god, you know how to make one successful. Ok, Skippy.

Damn straight I said Dr. Beggs should get involved. And that means telling Gene his contract won't be renewed or extended. Because trust me, WSU doesn't have the cash to buy out the contract's of Gene, BK and JT.
      Egotism is the anesthetic of stupidity.

Comment

I could be wrong, but aren't you the poster who tried selling Rosewood's photos on ebay? If so, I'd really prefer to not be lectured on the strength of my manhood by you.

And that's very principled of you to suggest that intervention is necessary by the school president and not call in to voice your indignation. Welcome to the wuss club, kettle.

Fling away, you can have the last word tough guy.

Lovely continuous editing after people respond to your posts, btw.

Comment

And with that "zing", DaShox has left the building.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I could be wrong, but aren't you the poster who tried selling Rosewood's photos on ebay? If so, I'd really prefer to not be lectured on the strength of my manhood by you.

And that's very principled of you to suggest that intervention is necessary by the school president and not call in to voice your indignation. Welcome to the wuss club, kettle.

Fling away, you can have the last word tough guy.

Lovely continuous editing after people respond to your posts, btw.

Comment

The mid-majors have had a remarkable year despite extreme monetary disadvantages. Now they need to do it again and again, writes Kyle Whelliston.

And while college basketball obviously will never adopt MLB-style free agency, the competition for blue-chip pre-college players usually comes down to who has the most money to chase them. For instance, Tennessee spent $1.2 million on recruiting for all men's sports (including football) in 2004-05, a figure that literally dwarfs Wichita State's $132,248 in spending during the same period (schools report their overall men's and women's recruiting budgets to the government, but aren't required to break them down by sport).

This thread is rediculous. The coaching staff brings in players they hope will develop. Some do, some don't. Some get their heads on straight, some are just head cases. The line is finer at WSU for getting top notch can't miss players who normally sign a pro-contract anyway. The coaching staff seems to fare better with pitchers. Injuries to key players can lead to other players playing that are not quite ready.

Do you think that if a new coach is hired that they would absolutely do a better job and have better records. This might happen. It also might happen that you get a Fogler, followed by a Cohen followed by a Thompson followed by a Smithson. Is getting a new coach really worth the risk when the team this year was close (probably the injury to the Tim Kelley away) from being back in the tournament.

Comment

Phil Stephenson, the greatest Shocker hitter ever and one of the premier college baseball hitters ever, was hired as a volunteer assistant coach at WSU in 2000.

2000 Stats
                Strikeouts...390. 8th all time.
                Sacrifices....24 6th all time.
                lowest sb percentage..746
                Hitting average... not in the top 10
                Hits....................not in the top 10
                hits per game.....not in the top 10
                runs per game....not in the top 10
                doubles..............not in the top 10
                triples................not in the top 10
                home runs.........not in the top 10
                rbi....................not in the top 10
                total bases........not in the top 10
                slugging percentage....not in the top 10
                stolen bases.........not in the top 10
                stolen base percentage.........not in the top 10

2000 NCAA Final National Stats
                Team batting avg: WSU is not ranked in the Top 35
                Team fielding: 27th
                Team scoring: WSU is not ranked in the Top 35
                Team Home Runs: WSU is not ranked in the Top 35
                Team Slugging Percentage: WSU is not ranked in the Top 35
                Team Stolen Bases: WSU is not ranked in the Top 35

Hmmmmm. I guess Phil just sucked as a coach.

Comment

Phil Stephenson, the greatest Shocker hitter ever and one of the premier college baseball hitters ever, was hired as a volunteer assistant coach at WSU in 2000.

2000 Stats

Hmmmmm.
                  Just because you can hit doesn't mean you can coach hitting.

Comment

Exactly. But, I guarantee you people of this board want a Pat Magness to take over for JT. Whether he can teach it or not.

Comment

2000 Stats

2000 NCAA Final National Stats
                      Team batting avg: WSU is not ranked in the Top 35
                      Team fielding: 27th
                      Team scoring: WSU is not ranked in the Top 35
                      Team Home Runs: WSU is not ranked in the Top 35
                      Team Slugging Percentage: WSU is not ranked in the Top 35
                      Team Stolen Bases: WSU is not ranked in the Top 35

Hmmmmm. I guess Phil just sucked as a coach.
                      So, your point? Very, very few of those Shocker Top 10s have been reach by any WSU team since 2000. Maybe you should compare the year 2000 to every year since then and see how 2000 rates in that group.

You can pretty much draw a line between 1999 and before and 2000 and since when its come to offensive efficiency. However, for some reason, that wasn't the case regarding pitching, until recently anyway. So what was the difference?

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Tony Gwynn, who hit over .300 for 19 consecutive MLB seasons and won eight batting titles and has over 3,000 hits, is head coach of San Diego State. In nine seasons at SDSU, Gwynn has never led the Aztecs to a regional title. Never won a super regional. Never been to the CWS.

In nine seasons, this MLB Hall of Fame hitter has a career coaching record of 264-277. This season, the Aztecs were 22-36.

Comment

Tony Gwynn, who hit over .300 for 19 consecutive MLB seasons and won eight batting titles and has over 3,000 hits, is head coach of San Diego State. In nine seasons at SDSU, Gwynn has never led the Aztecs to a regional title. Never won a super regional. Never been to the CWS.

In nine seasons, this MLB Hall of Fame hitter has a career coaching record of 264-277. This season, the Aztecs were 22-36.
                            And out of the blue, comes another jewel. :roll:

Comment

I thought maybe the fire Gene/fire J.T. squadron wanted to hire a known hitter.

Comment

JFC...you are one stupid Mofo.

Comment

Working...
                                X