No announcement yet.

Action Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "it's a player problem" argument is unfathomably stupid.

The coaches recruit the players. The coaches make six figures to teach the players. The buck stops at the coaches.

Mike Cohen and Scott Thompson had player problems too. Guess where the responsibility ultimately fell.

Comment

So, you're calling Wimmer stupid.

How many CWS games have you played again?
      How many times did you wear Team USA across your chest?

Oh yeah.......NONE.
      Egotism is the anesthetic of stupidity.

Comment

The Gene Stephenson Show will be on Tuesday, May 31st at 6pm this week. Join us at at Mulligans Pub and call in with your questions for Gene at 316-436-1410.

Here's your chance. Tonight. Mano-A-Mano. Are you man enough?

Comment

You're right, I never played for Team USA. However, I can tell you that when you lead an organization or business, you accept responsibility for its results. Not a very difficult concept. So yeah, I guess Wimmer is 100% wrong if he believes that this is completely the players' fault and the staff should bear zero responsibility as you claim.

Thank god you didn't go all Chuck Knoblauch on me this time

Comment

Not one call. Thank you. I think we're done here.

Comment

You sure are one tough internet poster, DaShox.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89

The coaches recruit the players. The coaches make six figures to teach the players. The buck stops at the coaches.

Mike Cohen and Scott Thompson had player problems too. Guess where the responsibility ultimately fell.
                I really think we have good coaches and good talent but I don't think today's players respond well to the current coaching style. Gene and JT have the same style so we really don't benefit by having both of them. We need to get a younger coach that can motivate today's player and possibly take over the program some day.

I think Gene and JT take their normal hard a$$ approach with everyone, which I understand, but it obviously makes more players shut down than dig in and work harder. Experience is great but I think we have reached the point where we can sacrifice some coaching experience for someone that can better relate to the players.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_

I really think we have good coaches and good talent but I don't think today's players respond well to the current coaching style. Gene and JT have the same style so we really don't benefit by having both of them. We need to get a younger coach that can motivate today's player and possibly take over the program some day.

I think Gene and JT take their normal hard a$$ approach with everyone, which I understand, but it obviously makes more players shut down than dig in and work harder. Experience is great but I think we have reached the point where we can sacrifice some coaching experience for someone that can better relate to the players.
                  Completely agree with this assessment. However, what if Gene won't get rid of JT?

Comment

That assistant better be about 25. Brent is only 54 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShox
                      Not one call. Thank you. I think we're done here.
                      Didn't you admit to not renewing Gene's contract? Are you immune to your own prodding?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Can anyone say Loren Hibbs please? He is a top class individual but I doubt there's any chance of pulling him from a better situation unless moving closer to home is really important.

Why does Gene deserve anyone's confidence? He made this an elite program from scratch and that is awesome. Hasn't he also let the program slip to nothing short of mediocrity? So which is it good coaching or poor coaching? Don't forget he's the same guy that had a big smile on his face while putting on the OU jersey. OU is feeling pretty good right now knowing they didn't kill their program with that hire.

People on this baseball thread are saying the same things that the basketball followers used to talk about. RPI, mid-major rankings, hoping to get into the tournament, etc. It's just sick that this program is failing and worse that nothing is being done about it. There's no way this AD is going to relieve Gene of his duties.

Comment

I thought you all wanted a young whippersnapper new blood coach that was going to take you back to the CWS?

Loren Hibbs profile
                          CWS appearances: 0
                          Super Regionals: 0
                          Regionls won: 0
                          Four A-10 Titles in 17 years.
                          All-Americans: 7 in 17 years
                          Ranked: Ranked for first time in last two seasons in a national poll
                          Avg # of wins: 30
                          Winning percentage: .564 (567-440)
                          Conference winning percentage: .541 (249-211)
                          NCAA Tournament Appearances: 4 in 17 years

Whatever.

Comment

Completely agree with this assessment. However, what if Gene won't get rid of JT?
                            Hey....when you finally figure out how to "dial" the phone to talk to Gene, maybe you can give us the answer. Amazing. You have all the answers but can't figure out how to "dial" a phone. Amazing.

Comment

GoShockers89 is right.

All of the Gene's excuses seem great and make everyone nod up and down but have no merit. Why is it then that colleges like Texas, Cal State, Florida, OU and many others still get the same top caliber players year in and year out and WSU no longer can? Do you seriously believe that all of WSU's team is full of players that don't have heart and work ethic and exactly how did they get to WSU in the first place? Why did WSU set the pattern for college baseball for so many years and now cannot even make it to a 64 team regional? That's borderline, no it is embarrassing. Gene's getting too old to even recognize his time is up.

Give Gene his credit but don't slobber all over the guy because of deeds done decades ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShox

Hey....when you finally figure out how to "dial" the phone to talk to Gene, maybe you can give us the answer. Amazing. You have all the answers but can't figure out how to "dial" a phone. Amazing.
                                What good does calling in to a coach's show and berating him do? Did it turn the program around when people did that to Mike Cohen in the 1990s? Will a 30 second rant make Gene suddenly do a 180 and become effective again? Is this what you really think?

When you disagree with a politician, do you go to his office and yell at him? No. You try to persuade others to your point of view and use your pocketbook to further your cause (if you have the means).

Your pathetic attempt at being an alpha male internet bully is, well, pathetic.

Care to defend your statement that President Beggs needs to get involved and that this program's performance is unacceptable in the Fire Gene thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X