Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    More things leaking out (dunno if true)

Sources: Adidas Was Trying To Steer Nation's #1 Overall Basketball Recruit To Kansas

From the Lawrence World-Journal:
    BREAKING: Wichita State coach committed a level 3 recruiting violation in 2015. Unclear whether WSU has been fingered by the FBI as a part of the ongoing bribery and corruption investigation.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
      It's only not allowed to pay players so to avoid violating NCAA amateurism rules. Why don't these guys stay in the AAU circuit and get paid by the shoe companies, agents, and advisors rather than go to college for a year? Wouldn't that solve all these issues? No one forces these guys to go to college.
      Shoe companies aren't paying these guys to go off the radar for a year. It's happening to draw more attention to the brand.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
        Shoe companies aren't paying these guys to go off the radar for a year. It's happening to draw more attention to the brand.
        The goal is to sign these guys at the NBA level. Same for agents and advisors. Let them fund the AAU athlete. They aren't disappearing for a year by staying where they are. They had exposure at the AAU level in order to be a target to be pushed to a certain school. Stay there. Get paid. Skip college and leave that product alone.

Comment

The goal is to sign these guys at the NBA level. Same for agents and advisors. Let them fund the AAU athlete. They aren't disappearing for a year by staying where they are. They had exposure at the AAU level in order to be a target to be pushed to a certain school. Stay there. Get paid. Skip college and leave that product alone.
          The goal is to get them in their gear on a stage. Signing them when the make the NBA is a part of that, but it's not about just signing someone who's not going to be on a stage. The end game is the NBA exposure yes, but the shoe companies aren't just giving them money on the off chance they sign after college, they also clearly believe they are getting value out of them wearing the gear in college. Sure getting your foot in the door early is nice, but these players have no obligation to sign with that company once they graduate, the shoe companies have no leverage beyond the existing relationship.

Comment

Bingo. Turns out, the schools and the NCAA are providing some value that is not inherent to whatever mythical salaried league keep imagining should be a thing.

Comment

• any school that makes a habit of signing one-and-dones ought to be sweating and farting. and well those pigs should be.

i say pigs because they have everything their way, per ncaa backup plan, but turn in the "smaller money" teams at the drop of a hat.. that's part of the program. that's a greedy pig.

ncaa is a joke. "they're mad at kentucky so cleveland state gets probabtion" had more than just a ring to it. it's the truth. tarkanian played the same game, but he knew that unc, uk, ku, ncaa headquarters, ucla hypocrites etc. didn't like little guy unlv doing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                ...but these players have no obligation to sign with that company once they graduate, the shoe companies have no leverage beyond the existing relationship.
                I don't think that's true. The mother of the guy who got caught at Louisville (Bowen) said he had to sign some papers. She thought it was some confidentiality thing where he was supposed to keep his mouth shut.

My speculation is that these "recruits" sign paperwork that says they will never reveal what happened and will sign with XXX agent and wear XXX shoes, or the shoe company takes their money back from his mom. That would be unenforceable and probably illegal, but the "recruit" is ne4ver likely to figure that out with that one semester of college education he's going to get.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• #10 seed, hunh? what a bunch of crackpots.

fbi HAD to kick the ncaa in their arse.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                    #10 seed, hunh? what a bunch of crackpots.

fbi HAD to kick the ncaa in their arse.
                    Maybe Mike Pompeo had something to do with it....there's always a conspiricy right ??

Comment

• Is it just me or is the silence coming out of Lawrence and Lexington deafening?

Hello darkness, my old friend...
                      For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                      - said no one ever...

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                        From the Lawrence World-Journal:
                        BREAKING: Wichita State coach committed a level 3 recruiting violation in 2015. Unclear whether WSU has been fingered by the FBI as a part of the ongoing bribery and corruption investigation.
                        Wasn't this violation in regards to contacting Peyton Allen one day before the recruiting period started? Or maybe I need to check my meter to account for piss poor journalism lol.
                        Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• The Eagle reporting that KU’s adidas deal is worth $191 mill over 14 yrs. that can buy a lot of players at $100k per guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            The Eagle reporting that KU’s adidas deal is worth $191 mill over 14 yrs. that can buy a lot of players at $100k per guy.
                            i'm scpetical that it will go that much farther than louisville, usc, osu, ua, blah blah blah...

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
                              Is it just me or is the silence coming out of Lawrence and Lexington deafening?

Hello darkness, my old friend...
                              Bill Self was interviewed and he talked about the situation and said he totally trust his assistants. There is another article said there had been no contact with the FBI - of course that was on Tuesday.....

Comment

• it seems like the invesigation is limited to the newcomers on the scene minus louisville

where are kentucky, kansas, north carolina etc.? the worst of the worst.

Comment

Working...
                                X