No announcement yet.

Wildcat Way???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I completely disagree with this shameless whorring but it wasn't a real name change' all actions were symbolic and nothing more. I still took my Christmas & holiday shopping elsewhere. Vote with your feet aka wallet/money peoPle!
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
      Their promoter did do a very good job. Everywhere I went over the last few weeks I was getting this game shoved down my throat. I was getting very sick of it.

It makes me wonder if he actually made any money or if he spent it all on promotion.

At least now that the game is over all of that should end except for the stupid street signs which will stay in place rest of the year.

And I am very upset at the Mayor. It will be very hard for me to ever vote for him for anything.
      Originally posted by hardyhar View Post
      It all boils down to this game having a "GREAT PROMOTER". He did everything first class. He got the street renamed. He had a pregame VIP Reception for K-State fans in which both Martin and Huggins were present. The only thing the promoter for WSU did was charge way too much for tickets...offer all kinds of discounts at the last minute...and well, that's about it. If you are mad at someone, be mad at the promoter who turned Wichita into Manhattan South.
      With this I mostly agree. Except I have no reason to be mad at the MildCat game promoter. He did what he was supposed to do. As you said, for the MildCat game did a great job. In fact, he did such a great job it really made the opponent and promotion for our game look second rate at best. But I won't go into that here as it has already been discussed adnauseam in other threads.

Like it or not, here is the hardcore thrust; This is the home of the Wichita State University Shockers. The Mildcats can get the hell out of Wichita. The MildCat bandwagon fans can get the hell out of Wichita, and our easily bought-off MildCat loving elected officials can get the hell out of Wichita. As for that seedy, underhanded, disloyal mayor, I'd be more than happy to buy him a one way ticket to Manhatten KS.

Keep Wichita Clean. Throw Out The Trash.
      "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
        I completely disagree with this shameless whorring but it wasn't a real name change' all actions were symbolic and nothing more. I still took my Christmas & holiday shopping elsewhere. Vote with your feet aka wallet/money peoPle!
        Why take it out on local business's (and encourage others to do the same) who had nothing to do with this?

It's a joke that the Mildcats won't play us, but I'll take their money. Let them come spend money in Wichita, filling the pockets of WSU alumni who support Shocker basketball.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Did anyone catch the pregame show? The last caller asked Mike about the "Wildcat Way" sign that was put up downtown before the K-State/West Virginia game. Mike said he wasn't going to mention it, but since the caller brought it up, he said he didn't like it at all and thought it was a low blow or something like that.

I was going to check the game archive to hear that portion of the pregame, but it didn't include the pregame show. I was thinking that the game recording starting at the pregame show, but I guess not, at least not for this game.

Comment

Wildcat Way? If that street sign hasn't been stolen already...I give it another week.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
              A regular permanent street name change costs something like $50,000. That is why it isn't done very much. I am sure a temporary change is a lot less, but probably costs more than you think. Not to mention the cost of having the ceremony for the media.
              Go to storage facility, get a single blank sign, put $50 "Wildcat Way" vinyl on it, put it up. The next day, take it down, put sign back with the blanks in the storage facility.

There's no way that cost even remotely close to $50,000. Like I said, probably less than $100.
              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

I propose to rename the Street Shocker Way until either KU or KSU agrees to play WSU at IBA. Once they agree to play WSU the street will be renamed Wildcat Way or Jayhawk Way for one year followng any victory over the Shockers at IBA Arena. If the Shockers win or if KU or KSU do not play us within a year of a victory over the Shockers the street reverts to Shocker Way. In effect, the Street Sign becomes the game trophy.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 11, 2011, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I propose to rename the Street Shocker Way until either KU or KSU agrees to play WSU at IBA. Once they agree to play WSU the street will be renamed Wildcat Way or Jayhawk Way for one year followng any victory over the Shockers at IBA Arena. If the Shockers win or if KU or KSU do not play us within a year of a victory of the Shockers the street reverts to Shocker Way. In effect, the Street Sign becomes the game trophy.
                  That's a fantastic idea, but somehow I don't see the City allowing Asshat Way or Douchebag Blvd on a street sign should either KU or KSU earn the designation.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    That's a fantastic idea, but somehow I don't see the City allowing Asshat Way or Douchebag Blvd on a street sign should either KU or KSU earn the designation.
                    :highly_amused:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      I propose to rename the Street Shocker Way until either KU or KSU agrees to play WSU at IBA. Once they agree to play WSU the street will be renamed Wildcat Way or Jayhawk Way for one year followng any victory over the Shockers at IBA Arena. If the Shockers win or if KU or KSU do not play us within a year of a victory of the Shockers the street reverts to Shocker Way. In effect, the Street Sign becomes the game trophy.
                      Good idea. Make them earn it if they want a street named after them in Wichita.

Comment

Eh, whatever. Let the Wildcats have their day in the sun. Getting miffed about this only serves to prove the point of those who say we have an inferiority complex. What's really important is that the Wildcats will be at home watching us play in March.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Michael O'Donnell (city councel member) was just on Sports Daily commenting on this. Renaming a street was one of the stipulations that the promoter had for having the K State game at IBA. He commented this promoter was more "agressive" than the promoter for the WSU game. He also stated that they are already looking at doing something for a WSU game next year if they play at IBA.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
                            Michael O'Donnell (city councel member) was just on Sports Daily commenting on this. Renaming a street was one of the stipulations that the promoter had for having the K State game at IBA. He commented this promoter was more "agressive" than the promoter for the WSU game. He also stated that they are already looking at doing something for a WSU game next year if they play at IBA.
                            Seems like a stipulation that could have been eliminated by a 5th grade negotiator.
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                              Not sure how trying to damage the Wichita economy is helping Wichita State. I sure don't see that hurting K-State or the promoter. I agree with wu-shizzle. I have no problem with local and regional KSU fans spending there money in Wichita as opposed to Manhattan or KC. What is good for Wichita is good for Wichita State and vice versa.

By spending your money outside Wichita and encouraging others to do so while KSU fans and alums are spending money in Wichita only serves to put KSU fans in a more favorable light. What we should be doing is just the opposite. Spending money in Wichita and maiking it be known we are WSU alumni and fans that are doing the spending. Wear your Shocker gear when shoppping. Use your Shockeer infinity credit and debti cards. If we want this to be our town we have to make it our town. Won't happen if simply decide to run and hide.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 14, 2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Very ironically, a WSU marketing student called in to Sports Daily yesterday and said the idea for naming the street basically came from a Wichita State marketing class. Apparently, the KSU promoter was in town and visited the Marketing class and asked the students for ideas regarding promoting the KSU-WVU game.

Now what he should have been told was that if he could promote a KSU-WSU game or a KU-WSU at IBA Arena he could charge premium prices and have a quick sellout while spending very, very little on promotion.

Comment

Working...
                                X