American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    For mens? 5k to 7k if we are decent at all. More if we are really good.
    Unlikely. Creighton has a very good men's program and they drew around 3,300 at home matches this year. Their women's team averaged around 475.

In 2014 UC-Santa Barbara lead the nation in average attendance at 3,844. The average for the top 20 attendance averages is around 2,200.

I think WSU would do well to average 1,500 for men's soccer and 500 for women's soccer.

For me personally I would continue to support and attend WSU Volleyball in the fall. Soccer not so much.

WSU does have a significant number of international students for which Soccer might hold some interest. Although they may prefer to participate in intra-mural soccer over attending a soccer match as a spectator. Student body support of Volleyball is not very impressive. Whether or not that would be true for soccer as well is hard to say.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 18, 2015, 10:49 AM.

Comment

For mens? 5k to 7k if we are decent at all. More if we are really good.
      NCAA D1 attendance leaders usually 3-4K at the most. 5-7 would be awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Unlikely. Creighton has a very good men's program and they draw around 3,300 at home matches. Their women's teams average around 475.

In 2014 UC-Santa Barbara lead the nation in average attendance at 3,844. The average for the top 20 attendance averages is around 2,200.

I think WSU would do well to average 1,500 for men's soccer and 500 for women's soccer.

For me personally I would continue to support and attend WSU Volleyball in the fall. Soccer not so much.
        Yeah I was being over anxious. But we would eventually outdraw Creighton. KC, Tulsa, and Wichita are soccer hot beds in the country. We'd easily get excellent talent and the Wings holdovers are dying for a top notch team to cheer for. WSU soccer, if it were any good, would draw a tremendous fan following from non-WSU alumni.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Speaking of volleyball, I hope future plans call for a 6,000-7,000 seat “Chris Lamb Volleyball Center”; I want to compete with Nebraska, Texas, KU, etc. We know the man deserves it... possibly a multi-purpose center designed for women's volleyball and basketball.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Yeah I was being over anxious. But we would eventually outdraw Creighton. KC, Tulsa, and Wichita are soccer hot beds in the country. We'd easily get excellent talent and the Wings holdovers are dying for a top notch team to cheer for. WSU soccer, if it were any good, would draw a tremendous fan following from non-WSU alumni.
            Bingo! And I think University of Tulsa is the only D1 program that is all that near by. WSU could own Wichita and KC plus reach into Tulsa and OKC for talent. I have no doubts we'd be top 25 in attendance from day 1.

Comment

Tulsa was 20th nationally in average attendance in 2014 at 1,253. However, the do have a football program as well. I suppose the study being undertaken by Dr. Bardo will attempt to gauge the fan interest in WSU soccer to some degree. If we add football, which I think is a real long shot, we will add a women's soccer team for sure. We may or may not add Men's Soccer due to Title IX considerations if we add football.

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
                Bingo! And I think University of Tulsa is the only D1 program that is all that near by. WSU could own Wichita and KC plus reach into Tulsa and OKC for talent. I have no doubts we'd be top 25 in attendance from day 1.
                Doesn't KC have major league soccer?

Comment

• I wish they would bring Soccer instead of Football. Football scares the crap out of me. So many dumpster fires out there trying to support a losing football program.
                  ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

That's me in the red.
                    Is that JJClamdip in the blue then? Had no idea he was a midget.

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post

UMKC's HC Benben has a good reputation and their goalkeeping coach is a former professional stud, so they draw good KC talent, but their results leave a bit to be desired at the national level. St. Louis nabs a few guys from KC, but has tons of their own talent. Creighton plunders Wichita and KC from time to time as well. But there is plenty of talent in this city and other are cities to draw from to build up a solid side.

Comment

• Can Jose Mourinho be our first Men's Soccer head coach? That would be cool.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Doesn't KC have major league soccer?
                          Yes, a damn good squad with the best defender in America playing for them. But he's talking about at the NCAA level -- we would whip the snot out of UMKC.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            Is that JJClamdip in the blue then? Had no idea he was a midget.
                            Nah that's my son bored to death, wondering if he could build a better stadium than Cessna on Minecraft. @JJClamdip: (not pictured) bought the front row seats so he could perv out near the cheerleaders.

Comment

• WSU Soccer Field

Pogo, with regard to your idea of keeping the field and track at Cessna stadium & turning the football field into a soccer field, it won't work. I discussed that point with Eric Sexton a couple of years ago. To compete in NCAA soccer, you have to have a regulation sized soccer field which has to be 70 yards in width. The track at Cessna stadium restricts that possibility to quite a bit less than that.

Within the past year, I pushed the idea of soccer with Dr Bardo insofar as using some of the land where the Bradburn golf course used to be. He sent my question to Eric Sexton & Darron Boatright. One of them came back to say that all the land on Braeburn golf course was already planned to be used for buildings, etc. I have a hard time believing that is going to happen in the next 20 yrs. The Experential building and the Air Bus building are under construction now in the SW corner of the old Braeburn golf course, but it's going to be years before the rest of the golf course is used for buildings. A new Business building is probably going to be the next building going up there.

Yes, soccer is a big thing in KS. 1972 soccer wonders if the team in KC, Sporting news, is in the ML soccer league & the answer is yes. In fact, they have been a winning team in that league & the same can be said for the women's team, too. The youth complex in Overland Park at 135th St & Switzer is one of the best in the U.S. Year round soccer is played there & it draws so many teams that as of 3 or 4 years ago when I last read about it, Overland Park and area around it was benefiting to the tune of $20 M a year in taxes paid through increased taxes at restaurants, motels & hotels. I've been to a lot of games at that complex because a granddaughter from Jeff City, MO, played on a team out of Columbia, MO, who played league games there for 2 or 3 yrs. Whatever college attendancne figures for soccer that anyone wants to quote now are going to keep growing because youth soccer is a huge deal that is growing by leaps and bounds.

Comment

• The obvious starting place for WSU soccer is the Stryker Complex on Greenwich just north of 96th. It could be acquired and expanded or just leased until a better facility is developed.

Comment

Working...
                                X