American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
    It has to be AAC or bust for us. The only real threat to leave is UCONN to either the B1G or ACC. The positives far outweigh the Risk. Being in a conference with Tulsa, Houston, SMU, Memphis, Tulane and Cincinnati can only be considered a positive. Currently, the AAC is the "6th" conference outside of the P5 and has 3 former BCS members. I will take my chances with them over a somewhat ever decreasing Valley. Especially with Swomo and ISUr with one foot out the door. Because then here comes UMKC and ORU.
    If the Big 12 has to expand to add a title game, they're taking 1-2 of Memphis, UCF, or Cinci from the AAC, with BYU being the other possible add.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      But wouldn't an AAC even without UCONN or Memphis still be more attractive than the MVC?
      More than the MVC? Yes.

More than the A-10? No.

And nearly half of the AAC are bottom feeders with 200+ RPIs this year. Our bottom 40% had an average RPI of 270 ... their bottom 45% had an average RPI of 240. Not much of a change there. Those are also teams putting significant resources into football and letting their basketball programs stagnate.
      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
        More than the MVC? Yes.

More than the A-10? No.

And nearly half of the AAC are bottom feeders with 200+ RPIs this year. Our bottom 40% had an average RPI of 270 ... their bottom 45% had an average RPI of 240. Not much of a change there. Those are also teams putting significant resources into football and letting their basketball programs stagnate.
        Go get an invite from the A10 and I'll be impressed...BE and A10 don't want you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
          If the Big 12 has to expand to add a title game, they're taking 1-2 of Memphis, UCF, or Cinci from the AAC, with BYU being the other possible add.
          adding BYU doesn't help WVU, they will look east...but only if they are FORCED to expand.

Comment

• BE would be the perfect fit, in terms of the "football situation".

The AAC would be nice, if the power players decide to stick around.

The Mountian West would be good as well, but there would be a lot of late nights.
            Last edited by Shock Top; March 17, 2015, 06:26 PM.
            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
              Go get an invite from the A10 and I'll be impressed...BE and A10 don't want you.
              A10 want us just as much as the AAC does right now.

Whether the A10 offers us a spot in the future or the AAC does, I don't really care. As long as ONE conference does.

If I had any control, I'd move WSU to the AAC, the A10, the MWC, or the Big East the second an offer came. I don't care which. They are all a step up from the MVC, in competition, finances, and exposure. The only difference is that a year ago the AAC was the third best conference on that list, and now they're the fourth. At one point an invite will come from one of them, whichever it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                The Mountian West would be good as well, but their would be a lot of late nights.
                Once again I would like to point out 50% of league games would be right here in Wichita (obviously). Assuming an east/west split another 4 games would be just 1 hour later. So 8 games still central time, 4 games just 1 hour later. Thats 12 of the 16 games.

The MWC's traditionally strong programs UNM and UNLV both were down this year and they still got 3 teams in with another in the last 4 out. To think home/homes with New Mexico, Colorado State, and Wyoming, plus either a home or away with UNLV and SDSU in conference is somehow only parallel or just slightly better than the MVC is crazy talk.

How most people view conferences thru out the country in my opinion.

In groupings, not specific order:

BEST--ACC, BIG X, BXII, PAC12, SEC

BELOW BEST BUT BETTER THAN MOST--AAC, A-10, BIG EAST, MWC

THE REST

I'm not saying that is correct I'm saying this is what I believe common perception to be.

Comment

• Indy St needed to raise money for nrw uniforms, didnt they?

Does any program in the MWC or AAC have to do that?
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• The only realistic scenario is where one conference can pull two teams from two different conferences leaving them both with a prospect for a single bid. The MVC is ripe to be one of those choices if we go, and according to the TV rankings thread we may add value, however I don't see which other conference would be left with a single bid should a team be plucked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yellow Bellied View Post
                      The only realistic scenario is where one conference can pull two teams from two different conferences leaving them both with a prospect for a single bid.
                      To the BE:
                      MVC - WSU
                      A10 - VCU

The A10 will be fine. Who cares what happens to the MVC.
                      The Assman

Comment

• I would love to see WSU leave for the BE, A10, AAC, or MWC in that order. I am just starting to think it is going to take a lot for WSU to leave even though we all want them too. The most likely thing that could happen to put WSU in a better position is to strengthen the MVC. SFA and Murray State would be great adds and would definitely improve the quality of play in the MVC. Both are relatively close as far as realignment goes. Would love to see us lave, but if we don't the MVC needs to do something to improve the conference.

On a side note, I wish they could change the name of the conference. I have always hated the name Missouri Valley was a less than ideal name. Maybe change it to something like Midwest Conference or something like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                          On a side note, I wish they could change the name of the conference. I have always hated the name Missouri Valley was a less than ideal name. Maybe change it to something like Midwest Conference or something like that.
                          They are working on that. I think they are working towards "ILLindiana Moral Victory Conference"

Comment

• What kind of TV $$$$ contract does the MWC have?

Comment

• Why do people want to be in the Big East? We don't fit with their make up for any parameters other than being a "basketball school." We're Public, we have drastically lower tuition, we're not Catholic affiliatied, we are extremely west for their schools, and we'd have to go to NYC for the conference tournament. Nothing about the Big East is attractive to me at all. Maybe I"m totally missing something here, but it seems ridiculous to even think the Big East is a possibility or a possibility we'd even want.
                              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                                Why do people want to be in the Big East? We don't fit with their make up for any parameters other than being a "basketball school." We're Public, we have drastically lower tuition, we're not Catholic affiliatied, we are extremely west for their schools, and we'd have to go to NYC for the conference tournament. Nothing about the Big East is attractive to me at all. Maybe I"m totally missing something here, but it seems ridiculous to even think the Big East is a possibility or a possibility we'd even want.
                                Because they are the #2 RPI conference.

MVC is #12. Right behind Mid-American...

Comment

Working...
                                X