No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a good thing we have Eric Sexton at the helm. He no doubt has a master plan for us....

FML

ADJS would have contingencies out of the ass with deals poised to get signed sitting on the corner of his desk yesterday.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
      My guess is they will announce an intention to leave without any details on who the expansion candidates will be.
      I'm almost certain this will be the path taken. They're going to announce they're out, and the beauty pageant will begin.

They're not going to bind themselves to anything, nor will public hints be given.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        It's a good thing we have Eric Sexton at the helm. He no doubt has a master plan for us....

FML

ADJS would have contingencies out of the ass with deals poised to get signed sitting on the corner of his desk yesterday.

T

Yep, a worst-case scenario.

I bet if somebody asked Sexton what he thinks about the conference realignment situations, he'd say.. "There are conference realignments going on? Huh?"
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

One thing I am surprised that nobody has mentioned is WSU trying to pair itself with VCU as a package pitch to the new Big East. VCU faces the same imminent danger that we do: The Big East swooping in and stealing their Catholic school peers, who also happen to be the only other good teams in either league.

Pairing up as a public schools offering might increase both of our odds- they are unlikely to let just one single public school into the league by itself. We both have 2 of the hottest coaches in basketball, and HCGM and HCSS have both rejected huge offers from far bigger schools. The commitment to hoops is there at both programs in terms of salaries and budget.

Not a silver bullet for the situation but certainly food for thought. They would be equally screwed as us in a Jesuit-raid scenario.

Comment

The word I'm hearing is that while Temple has a vote, it cannot vote against dissolution. Thus, the Catholic 7 have the ability to dissolve the conference, and will do so before the new members join. In reality, this isn't leaving the Big East so much as kicking everyone else out. UConn and Cincinnati will probably go to the ACC, and the recent additions will return from where they came.

Then it gets interesting. In this situation, the Catholic 7 have all the power. They have basically this season to form a new conference with enough members to keep the NCAA auto-bid, and they will immediately start shopping for candidates. They won't tell anyone who the potential expansion teams are tomorrow, but they will be trying to make a list.

We need to make sure our athletic director understands the situation and how aggressively we need to pursue getting on that list. I'd recommend emailing him at
            esexton@GoShockers:.com[/EMAIL], or trying to get in contact with him at 316-978-3250. Make no mistake, we won't have a lot of time to make a decision or convince the Big Priest conference that we should be a member. Priority #1 is to get an invite. Priority #2 is to have a back-up plan (A-10). Priority #3 is have a back-up to that back-up plan (Summit League?).

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
              The word I'm hearing is that while Temple has a vote, it cannot vote against dissolution. Thus, the Catholic 7 have the ability to dissolve the conference, and will do so before the new members join. In reality, this isn't leaving the Big East so much as kicking everyone else out. UConn and Cincinnati will probably go to the ACC, and the recent additions will return from where they came.

Then it gets interesting. In this situation, the Catholic 7 have all the power. They have basically this season to form a new conference with enough members to keep the NCAA auto-bid, and they will immediately start shopping for candidates. They won't tell anyone who the potential expansion teams are tomorrow, but they will be trying to make a list.

We need to make sure our athletic director understands the situation and how aggressively we need to pursue getting on that list. I'd recommend emailing him at
              esexton@GoShockers.com[/EMAIL], or trying to get in contact with him at 316-978-3250. Make no mistake, we won't have a lot of time to make a decision or convince the Big Priest conference that we should be a member. Priority #1 is to get an invite. Priority #2 is to have a back-up plan (A-10). Priority #3 is have a back-up to that back-up plan (Summit League?).
              Friend,

Things like this don't happen without a plan. If Sexton hasn't made contact with the possible players involving Wichita State by now, he is wayyyyy late to the party. Our time reference on a message board is distorted from the reality that exists between leaders of major basketball programs.

T

Comment

Outside of Georgetown, Marquette, and maybe Villanova, I really don't see that much starling basketball power from the Catholic Seven. Maybe that's enough of a lure for some, but to me, it's kind of meh. A step up from the Valley in basketball perspective, but what about any other sports? Travelling not an issue for the western potential outliers?

It's all pretty nutty and sad at the same time.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

...and guess what? They'll probably get to keep a huge chunk (if not all) of the March Madness money that they would be forfeiting if they would have been seen as leaving the league, rather than booting the football members.

Comment

Friend,

Things like this don't happen without a plan. If Sexton hasn't made contact with the possible players involving Wichita State by now, he is wayyyyy late to the party. Our time reference on a message board is distorted from the reality that exists between leaders of major basketball programs.

T

I'm not trying to necessarily tell Sexton how to do his job. I just think that with such an important decision, the fanbase should be clear in expressing its opinions to the athletic department. Part of the problem with the old Big East was a disconnect between the parties involved, the presidents, athletic directors, coaches, and fanbase. People should send the message that we are overwhelming in support of upgrading conferences, and that we are afraid of the consequences if we do not make the change.

Comment

This thing is many, many months away from being finished. Expansion will drag out into at least May.

Bardo and ES still have time to hustle if they've been asleep at the switch.

Comment

I will tell you this... when it's all said and done, if we are left alone in a conference holding hands with a purple pimp, I will personally start a grassroots effort to have Sexton as well as his belongings at Koch Arena moved out to the corner of 21st & Hillside adjacent to the nearest bus stop.

I am not joking.

T

Comment

I will tell you this... when it's all said and done, if we are left alone in a conference holding hands with a purple pimp, I will personally start a grassroots effort to have Sexton as well as his belongings at Koch Arena moved out to the corner of 21st & Hillside adjacent to the nearest bus stop.

I am not joking.

T

Agreed. We cannot *uck up and get left behind on this one.

There won't be a mulligan.

Comment

Start working on you plan Cold. Our fearless leader is convinced the Valley is our future.

Comment

I think the most likely scenario is that the BEast raids the top end of the A10. If they maintain an East Coast bias, Butler and SLU may become "available".

I doubt that going "all Catholic" would trump going "all $$$".
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I am not joking.

T

LOL.

I'm right there with ya buddy.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X