Election Day 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election Day 2016

Only 4 more days until this cycle is mercifully euthanized, and thank goodness for early voting.

At the national level, Trump has made up significant ground since his campaign's nadir on October 18 (trailed by 7.1 points in the 4 way race average at RCP) and has now closed the gap to 2.6 in 4-way polling, and 1.7 in H2H. The last 24 hours of polls are showing both candidates have plateaued, however, so whoever gets the final bump (if any) over the weekend will be key.

The battle for the Senate remains very tight and there is a decent chance that the VP will serve as the tie-breaker vote for at least the next 2 years - betting markets currently peg GOP chances of retaining control of the Senate at 32%. There are still several very competitive races which should be fun to watch on Tuesday - (NH) Ayotte vs. Hassan, (NV) Heck vs. Cortez-Mastro, (NC) Burr vs. Ross and (IN) Bayh vs. Young seem to be the bellweather races. Other races are competitive, but if, say, Pat Toomey pulls an upset to retain his seat in PA or Kirk somehow wins in IL, that likely means the GOP is having a huge night and almost certainly will have won the other competitive seats as well. Likewise, if Murphy unseats Rubio in FL, the Democrats are probably in the catbird seat in the coinflip races.

The House looks increasingly safe for Republicans - betting markets give Democrats just a 7% chance of flipping control. Lots of competitive races all around (although less than most prior presidential election years).

I have always looked forward to Election Day, but this is the first time in my life that I simply cannot wait for a cycle to end. Let the countdown begin.
    Last edited by Play Angry; November 4, 2016, 10:35 AM.

Missouri is another competitive race. RCP has the incumbent Republican up 1.5, but I've seen a lot of polls with the Dem up.

Comment

I would rather see Hillary and Trump campaigning in an endless election cycle than have to watch either actually perform the role itself.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
        Missouri is another competitive race. RCP has the incumbent Republican up 1.5, but I've seen a lot of polls with the Dem up.
        Yea, if Blunt blows that one the GOP's chances plummet dramatically. They would almost need to run the table elsewhere.

His opponent has run a strong campaign and he has generally blundered along over the summer, but I'm guessing he'll eek it out thanks to otherwise strong statewide results. Reminds me a little of the Jim Bunning races where he'd basically spend 9 months shooting his toes off and still win by a half percent each time.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
          It is the only thing in Missouri that is competitive

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
            It is the only thing in Missouri that is competitive
            Actually, no.
            Governor's and Attorney General's races are dead heats, as well.
            Trump will win by 8-10
            Dominance is a state of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ROOT ANGRY! View Post
              Actually, no.
              Governor's and Attorney General's races are dead heats, as well.
              Trump will win by 8-10
              It was a Bears basketball reference

Comment

As of this morning, Clinton's lead in RCP H2H averages has grown to 1.8, and her lead in 4-way race averages has decreased to 2.3. Like yesterday and the day before, poll #s are plateauing for each candidate.

Numbers not looking good for Johnson to hit the 5% threshold for election funding access for Libertarians in 2020. Similarly, McMullin has faded down the stretch in Utah.

Early voting reports (turnout and party registration) seem to give Clinton a strong edge in NV and a slight one in FL at this point. Nobody seems to have a great feel for NC and OH. Trump is hanging tough in PA polling, so he could make up lost ground if pulls the big upset there.

Comment

I think Trump will lose NV by a fairly wide number. It's interesting to see the tie possibilities.

I think it's telling that Trump is all in for Michigan or PA....Hail Marys, so to speak. But I believe, unfortunately, this is over as soon as they declare FL for Clinton which I bet happens early.

Everybody loses....in this one.

Comment

The astonishing failure to invest in any semblance of a ground game is making things very hard for Trump. 2.75:1 field office disadvantage is almost insurmountable.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                      The astonishing failure to invest in any semblance of a ground game is making things very hard for Trump. 2.75:1 field office disadvantage is almost insurmountable.
                      Astonishing is precisely the proper word for the Trump campaign. Arguably the least competent campaign since McGovern

Comment

Latinos grabbing back in Nevadahttp://www.ktnv.com/news/ralston/the-nevada-early-voting-blog

Comment

Betting markets are starting to anticipate Obama-level landslide for Dems at the national level; state by state Senate races still in flux but Republicans will be battling a coattail effects in several of those races.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                            It was a Bears basketball reference
                            Humor? In a politics thread?
                            The nerve!!

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X