Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    KSN - Kansas medical marijuana bill is back for 2023

Sounds like it'll be discussed again, but I'm not sure how much faith I have in the representatives involved to get anything actually done. Time will tell.

Also sounds like Topeka is waiting to see how things go in Wichita before considering decriminalization efforts.

And, why we all wait, it appears as though Missouri may legalize recreational use in November. I haven't seen any polling numbers but it's apparently on the ballot for them.

I want to say Oklahoma is looking into it, but I can't say that for certain. Just seems like I've read something previously where it's getting some consideration.
    We need more time to think about it.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• There is a dispensary on just about every block in the OKC area. I'm sure it's medical only at the moment but sure seems like it's recreational with the number of dispensaries.
      Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• There is no such thing as medical marijuana. I just wish they would stop the charade.

Make your argument, don't call it "medical".

Comment

• Just saw a series of tweets from whoever handles the POTUS twitter, and a push for change is being initiated at the top. I believe it stated that full pardon's are on the way for anyone in federal prison for simple use or possession of marijuana. They're correct that lives shouldn't be ruined for simple use or possession of it. Those 'criminal records' do more to harm their futures and the futures of their families than marijuana use itself. Getting those records clean will help many of these people get jobs and better their positions.

He can't do anything about people in prison for state level offenses, but he's pushing governors to follow along and do the same. I don't object to that at all.

He also brought up that marijuana, on the federal level, is listed on the same level as heroin and worse than fentanyl and has called for steps to be made to change that.

So, while he's stopped short of trying to legalize it at the federal level, he does appear to be moving to essentially decriminalize it at the federal level.

I'm no fan of Biden, but this is something I can support as a move in the right direction. States would still be able to make their own decisions, but having it not be a major federal issue will make it easier for some states to move forward with doing the same.

Now, we all know that Biden doesn't really believe in this. He's never supported marijuana use on any level and has been very against it, but he knows that the majority of Americans support at the very least decriminalization and I believe a majority still support outright legalization.

And I know I've said he a lot, but know that Biden isn't much behind any of this and is only the figure head due to being elected President. Those around him have apparently done enough to publicly push for this.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get marijuana reclassified. It's just silly that the federal government has it in absolutely evil status while around 80% of the states have at the very least decriminalized it, if not outright legalized it.

For the record, the breakdown goes as follows

Fully legal states: 19 (California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Montana, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Illinois, Michigan, Virginia, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont and Maine)

Medical and decriminalized: 9 (North Dakota, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Ohio, Maryland, Delaware, New Hampshire and Hawaii)

Medical: 9 (Utah, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, West Virginia and Pennsylvania)

Decriminalized: 2 (Nebraska and North Carolina)

CBD with THC only: 7 (Texas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia)

Fully Illegal: 4 (Idaho, Wyoming, Kansas and South Carolina)

I know some of you are dead set against it at all costs and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own personal convictions. I still choose freedom of choice when it comes to the individual and will support any actions that allow for more freedom, as long as those direct actions don't harm others or infringe upon their rights. Ingesting marijuana does neither of those.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Some info below

Eagle - EXPLAINER: Which states put marijuana on the ballot in 2022?

Some points from the article. Feel free to click on the link above and read for yourselves.

Arkansas, Maryland, Missouri, North Dakota and South Dakota will let voters decide if recreational marijuana should be legal in their states. South Dakota voters have already approved it a couple of years ago but Gov. Noem supported a lawsuit against it and the SDSC ruled it violated the state Constitution. I'm assuming the new measure eliminates that issue and would expect it to pass again.

Oklahoma voters gathered enough signatures to allow them to vote on the issue, but not soon enough to be on the November ballot and will instead vote on it in March.

If these all pass, and I suspect that they most likely will, that will bring the total of fully legal states to 25, plus DC.

According to this article, and apparently the National Conference of State Legislatures, South Carolina is no longer fully illegal. I don't know the status of marijuana in that state, but the article states that only Idaho, Kansas and Nebraska are left with no public-use marijuana program. Though I think they've screwed up as I'm pretty sure Nebraska decriminalized but I've not seen anything on Wyoming taking action. I may have to look more into that when I get a chance.

The article also mentions that at least a couple of the states voting on it in a few weeks would also allow individuals to grow and cultivate their own personal use plants. I know I've seen a lot of advocates online wanting more of that as an option so people can support themselves; much like growing your own food for personal use.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              Some info below

Eagle - EXPLAINER: Which states put marijuana on the ballot in 2022?

Some points from the article. Feel free to click on the link above and read for yourselves.

Arkansas, Maryland, Missouri, North Dakota and South Dakota will let voters decide if recreational marijuana should be legal in their states. South Dakota voters have already approved it a couple of years ago but Gov. Noem supported a lawsuit against it and the SDSC ruled it violated the state Constitution. I'm assuming the new measure eliminates that issue and would expect it to pass again.

Oklahoma voters gathered enough signatures to allow them to vote on the issue, but not soon enough to be on the November ballot and will instead vote on it in March.

If these all pass, and I suspect that they most likely will, that will bring the total of fully legal states to 25, plus DC.

According to this article, and apparently the National Conference of State Legislatures, South Carolina is no longer fully illegal. I don't know the status of marijuana in that state, but the article states that only Idaho, Kansas and Nebraska are left with no public-use marijuana program. Though I think they've screwed up as I'm pretty sure Nebraska decriminalized but I've not seen anything on Wyoming taking action. I may have to look more into that when I get a chance.

The article also mentions that at least a couple of the states voting on it in a few weeks would also allow individuals to grow and cultivate their own personal use plants. I know I've seen a lot of advocates online wanting more of that as an option so people can support themselves; much like growing your own food for personal use.
              Nebraska decriminalization marijuana decades ago, long before I was here. Getting caught with a personal use amount of marijuana is a $100 ticket. Most police officers in Omaha don't even waste their time ticketing for pot. I know a few that use not writing a marajuana ticket as a bargaining chip to help deescalate what could otherwise become a heated situation. The old, "I have to write you up for x, but if you calm down, I'll ignore the marajuana" trick. Omaha cops have far too many bigger issues to deal with than writing a possession ticket for a little weed. That attitude does not travel very far out of the metro area and possession in Gretna is a whole nother story.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure Wyoming was the other one that should have been listed. Sounds like Omaha is handling it right.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Went to the store the other day (which I rarely do anymore) and was unlucky enough to apparently have the same shopping list as a younger couple behind me most of the way through the store.

The young man clearly had smoked in his car and completely reeked of weed. I can't describe exactly how thoroughly disgusting the odor is for someone that doesn't want to get high. It reminded me how obtrusive this will be when it's passed...first as the farce that is medical weed, then as "harmless" recreational weed.

I know it's coming. I don't have to agree or like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Went to the store the other day (which I rarely do anymore) and was unlucky enough to apparently have the same shopping list as a younger couple behind me most of the way through the store.

The young man clearly had smoked in his car and completely reeked of weed. I can't describe exactly how thoroughly disgusting the odor is.
                    I get this same feeling when near someone who smokes tobacco.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Went to the store the other day (which I rarely do anymore) and was unlucky enough to apparently have the same shopping list as a younger couple behind me most of the way through the store.

The young man clearly had smoked in his car and completely reeked of weed. I can't describe exactly how thoroughly disgusting the odor is for someone that doesn't want to get high. It reminded me how obtrusive this will be when it's passed...first as the farce that is medical weed, then as "harmless" recreational weed.

I know it's coming. I don't have to agree or like it.
                      Go to a Chiefs game and tailgate. The weed is so prevalent you can get an outdoor contact high even when it's windy.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• It's only a matter of time.

KAKE - How likely is Kansas to pass medical marijuana after Missouri votes to legalize recreational use?

Reid says Missouri’s vote just adds to the momentum their group has to push for medical marijuana in the state. “It's not right, really to have people on one side of the river in the Kansas City area to be legal patients and people across the river to be criminals.”

So where does the state stand on a potential medical marijuana bill?

State Representative Nick Hoheisel says progress is being made. “I think a lot of the opponents have now come on board. They're still opposed but they understand, eventually this is going to happen. So, they would like us to address their concerns within the legislation.”

Hoheisel is member of the special committee on medical marijuana that has been meeting over the last few weeks. The committee has held multiple hearings to try to create the best possible starting point for the legislature when it returns in January.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• It may be longer than we think. Many anti-any kind of weed Republicans hold key leadership spots in the KS legislature and now anti-weed Kobach is a AG. I think we should at least decriminalize it and allow medical use (I am a pro-liberty type so full legalization doesn't bother me either), but I am not holding my breath. The Republican super majorities held in Kansas, it may be awhile.

Comment

• The NE Kansas City Star doesn’t mention that the Arkansas, North Dakota, and South Dakota Citizens voted against Legalization.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post

It may be longer than we think. Many anti-any kind of weed Republicans hold key leadership spots in the KS legislature and now anti-weed Kobach is a AG. I think we should at least decriminalize it and allow medical use (I am a pro-liberty type so full legalization doesn't bother me either), but I am not holding my breath. The Republican super majorities held in Kansas, it may be awhile.
                              I don’t see much use for medical. I think that’s a farce to increase public perception. I think confiscation and a fine for public consumption seems appropriate. Maybe jail time for distribution…I.e. you don’t want people pedaling it on the street nor do you want a parade of users in and out of a residential dwelling looking to buy.

Im also in favor of legalization, but since it is illegal, you need to deal with the externalities.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I don’t see much use for medical. I think that’s a farce to increase public perception. I think confiscation and a fine for public consumption seems appropriate. Maybe jail time for distribution…I.e. you don’t want people pedaling it on the street nor do you want a parade of users in and out of a residential dwelling looking to buy.

Im also in favor of legalization, but since it is illegal, you need to deal with the externalities.
                                Excellent. Medical weed is a farce. No such thing. If there is, then there's medical vodka. I'd be ok with just confiscation for public consumption. Their tears are fine enough for me. Has to be jail time for distribution or intent (possession in excess of XX).

Kind of don't care anymore because it's inevitable. At least if it's legalized a large number of stoners will STFU, stay high and likely, stay home and not vote anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X