No announcement yet.

Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is some pretty tight scrutiny for an early oath taker to the dark lord of quarter-truths.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      OK @Kung Wu. I sincerely thought you were pulling his chain. I see nothing in JH4P's post that predicted the future, just a statement of fact regarding the numbers presented at that time. To me, you're reading more into it than was there or even implied.
      (for what it's worth, I don't think JH4P lied at all, but he knows darn well I didn't either, so I am ribbing him more in recent posts)
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
        That is some pretty tight scrutiny for an early oath taker to the dark lord of quarter-truths.
        Sure, and now I move my dark lord pawn to E6 in order to defeat the queen-lord of eighth-truths.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
          I'm voting for Monty Brewster.
          None of The Above!
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Sure, and now I move my dark lord pawn to E6 in order to defeat the queen-lord of eighth-truths.
            Free brown shirts for everyone!

Comment

• Attached Files

Comment

• A must read:

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  The greatest threat to freedom of assembly is inadequate toilet facilities.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• From a history nerd perspective, this is pretty exciting. We are living through one of those recently-rare moments where a "right" wing movement trades in economic and religious principles on a wholesale basis for projected strength, regardless of continuity with previously held beliefs. We can tell our grandkids what it was like when small government conservatism was disemboweled and replaced with hyuuuuuugely centralized authoritarian nationalism, and how it was a watershed moment in American politics. There will probably be more political science books written on this election cycle than the past half-dozen combined. It's pretty wild in the sense that we are witnessing a major political realignment.

From the perspective of "we're going to have actually live through this ****," this is less than exciting. The balance in the struggle against the expansion of government power is out of kilter now that small government conservatism has no voice - not only has it been marginalized, it has been replaced by a cult of personality movement that wants to abrogate constitutional protections and civil liberties to a similar degree as the opposition (albeit with vastly different targets), just without the lip service of being bound by the Constitution. Our options are "Expanded Government Power A" and "Expanded Government Power B", and many self-proclaimed conservatives are loving it for no other reason than "Government Power A" sucks. At least "Government Power B" sides with me on more stuff I care about, so that justifies it, right? These folks are picking the least offensive (to their preferences) bully and becoming his toadie after silently watching him beat up on the kids they have more in common with. Pragmatism at its finest, real Game of Thrones level stuff.

Sad times, but it will be interesting to see what's revealed when the veil is pulled back. Regression '16!

Comment

From a history nerd perspective, this is pretty exciting. We are living through one of those recently-rare moments where a "right" wing movement trades in economic and religious principles on a wholesale basis for projected strength, regardless of continuity with previously held beliefs. We can tell our grandkids what it was like when small government conservatism was disemboweled and replaced with hyuuuuuugely centralized authoritarian nationalism, and how it was a watershed moment in American politics. There will probably be more political science books written on this election cycle than the past half-dozen combined. It's pretty wild in the sense that we are witnessing a major political realignment.

From the perspective of "we're going to have actually live through this ****," this is less than exciting. The balance in the struggle against the expansion of government power is out of kilter now that small government conservatism has no voice - not only has it been marginalized, it has been replaced by a cult of personality movement that wants to abrogate constitutional protections and civil liberties to a similar degree as the opposition (albeit with vastly different targets), just without the lip service of being bound by the Constitution. Our options are "Expanded Government Power A" and "Expanded Government Power B", and many self-proclaimed conservatives are loving it for no other reason than "Government Power A" sucks. At least "Government Power B" sides with me on more stuff I care about, so that justifies it, right? These folks are picking the least offensive (to their preferences) bully and becoming his toadie after silently watching him beat up on the kids they have more in common with. Pragmatism at its finest, real Game of Thrones level stuff.

Sad times, but it will be interesting to see what's revealed when the veil is pulled back. Regression '16!
                      This

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        (for what it's worth, I don't think JH4P lied at all, but he knows darn well I didn't either, so I am ribbing him more in recent posts)
                        Yes, you lied.

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        The argument is about your assertion that Trump won't get to 40%.
                        I never asserted that. You have known since day 1 that I wasn't asserting that. You're a liar.

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        That's not lying, that's just being a dick.
                        You are both. Typical of a Trump supporter.

Comment

• The next time the Shox are up by 30, and someone posts, "Dang, up by 30! This is a blowout" I'm gonna wait until the end when the final margin is only 26 and jump their case over and over for claiming the Shox won by 30. I'll ignore their point about it being a blowout (which it still was) and that the margin actually was 30 at the time of their post. Reporting and commenting on the score of an in progress game is a heinous crime, and it must be punished!

I'll call it giving them the "@Kung Wu: treatment".

Comment

From a history nerd perspective, this is pretty exciting. We are living through one of those recently-rare moments where a "right" wing movement trades in economic and religious principles on a wholesale basis for projected strength, regardless of continuity with previously held beliefs. We can tell our grandkids what it was like when small government conservatism was disemboweled and replaced with hyuuuuuugely centralized authoritarian nationalism, and how it was a watershed moment in American politics. There will probably be more political science books written on this election cycle than the past half-dozen combined. It's pretty wild in the sense that we are witnessing a major political realignment.

When the last time the republican party stood by the principles of small government, religious principles, strong military and on conservative economic principles? Please don't cite some symbolic vote that made no difference - but where they actually took a stand and made difference.

I would suggest conservatism in the Republican party is dead and has been dead for awhile. If it was alive then there would be conservative as the party nominee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                              Yes, you lied.

I never asserted that. You have known since day 1 that I wasn't asserting that. You're a liar.

You are both. Typical of a Trump supporter.

You are right you never asserted it. That was poor word choice. I meant "imply", which you clearly did unless it was a mistake. I get to log into Shockernet about once a week on a computer. The rest of the time it's drive-by quick rqction posting on a phone, such as now. Hence mistakes happen. I admit my mistakes. You don't. Since you won't admit that you made a mistake -- unless in your mind that has already happened -- I can only assume you meant to mislead. That makes you a liar.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                                When the last time the republican party stood by the principles of small government
                                Long time. Probably late 90s during Clinton's lame duck phase.

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                                religious principles
                                Although misguided, DOMA under Bush II was probably a strong recent example. At the state levels, there has been a flurry of abortion legislation over the last half dozen years.

strong military
                                Depends on what is meant here. If spending is the focus, we've dished out the pork consistently for four decades now. If tone is the focus, probably Bush II during the Iraq surge was the last time a real divide existed and team R sided "with the military," giving it the strategic freedom and resources the democrats opposed. If something else is intended, more detail would be necessary to answer.

conservative economic principles?
                                Taxes - Republicans have been reliably strong on "pro-growth," low tax rates at the highest levels of the income spectrum.

Spending - Republicans have been pure and utter and **** since Clinton's presidency, with a brief respite in 2010 where they attempted (mostly failed) to role back some of Obama's expansions.

I would suggest conservatism in the Republican party is dead and has been dead for awhile. If it was alive then there would be conservative as the party nominee.
                                Its persuasiveness in the national conversation has been waning for a decade-plus. Before, however, there was hope (hah) that a candidate might actually follow through on his lip service to those principles. With Trump, it is an embrace of open hostility to those ideas.

How we arrived here might have been a gradual process, but on its face the shift is pretty seismic.

Comment

Working...
                                X