• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVERY working healthcare plan has some combination of the following:

* An individual mandate
    * A public option
    * Price controls
    * Minimum coverage regulation

That's just as true of Costa Rica as it is of China, as true of Greece as it is of Germany. Saudi Arabia, Israel, and Russia all spend more on their military (as % of GDP) than we do and still have a combination of those four. Poor countries, rich countries, Central American countries, European countries, Asian countries, diverse countries, single-race countries; they ALL rely on a combination of those four things.

And private health insurance is not new or innovative. For each of those plans, for each of those countries, there was a period with little regulation and no national healthcare policy. If free market healthcare worked, it would have organically developed before those governments got in the way. Each of those national healthcare systems was created because the free-market wasn't enough.

For example, look at France. For a long period of time (1871-1914) France relied on private physicians and had a completely free-market system. Like the US now, France was a center of medical knowledge and learning and one of the richest countries in the world; the Paris school led the transition from medieval to modern medicine. Reform attempts were resisted by doctors and bureaucrats alike, fearing it would hurt their interests.

And just like the US, that free market system did not work. France had high death rates to infectious diseases like tuberculosis despite its world-class doctors and hospitals. It significantly trailed the UK and Germany which had started to develop welfare systems. If free-market forces alone were enough to solve healthcare, they'd have solved it then.

We don't need to spend more on healthcare. We need to spend intelligently, learning from the examples around the world. The big reasons we keep failing are simple:
    • We tack things on top of other systems (Medicare, Medicaid, VHS)
    • Health insurance is regionally monopolized
    • We absolutely refuse the four major fixes
    It is not complicated, really. I guarantee that if we addressed those three concerns we could make a working healthcare bill.

Comment

• OK, since this thread is about Trump and he continues to make an ass out of himself, I'm going to guess the lack of activity on this board is probably due to a bunch of people like me who truly understand what a mistake voting for him was and are waiting for the next 4 years or so to go by quickly so we can collectively erase it.

Comment

• But if Hillary runs again.......

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          But if Hillary runs again.......
          Please God, no.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            But if Hillary runs again.......
            I hate Hillary, but at least she would not get in pissing matches with journalists on twitter. I hope to God she does the right thing and retires from politics.

However, if she does not, I would have to at least consider voting for her. It would just depend on what, if anything, she learned from her past mistakes.

Note her public comments are indicating, at least to me, that she has not learned anything.

God I hope we never again have to choose between two obviously flawed candidates.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
              God I hope we never again have to choose between two obviously flawed candidates.
              AMEN!!!!
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

I hate Hillary, but at least she would not get in pissing matches with journalists on twitter. I hope to God she does the right thing and retires from politics.

However, if she does not, I would have to at least consider voting for her. It would just depend on what, if anything, she learned from her past mistakes.

Note her public comments are indicating, at least to me, that she has not learned anything.

I think the shrill we hear everyday with Trump as the President would be equally loud if Hillary had won. Instead of Russian hacking, it would be her emails. Instead of Trump getting stupid on Twitter, Hillary would refer to half of the country as deplorables. Instead of Trump fleecing Americans by staying at his hotels, it would be Hillary and the Clinton Foundation scandals. Same volume of noise, different topics.

There were no Americans that won on November, we all lost.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

OK, since this thread is about Trump and he continues to make an ass out of himself, I'm going to guess the lack of activity on this board is probably due to a bunch of people like me who truly understand what a mistake voting for him was and are waiting for the next 4 years or so to go by quickly so we can collectively erase it.
                  Or, it could be this:

Comment

• Ill take Trumps stupid antics and his policies every day over Hillary. I do hope Trump gets tired of dealing with it and hands it off to Pence. In about 18 months would be ideal. But ill take 1 term, too.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                      Or, it could be this:

I don't think we've received the full story about what happened. It could have happened, it might not have. It's also possible it could have happened without Trump's knowledge.

My problem is Manafort's association with the Trump campaign and all the lobbying cash he got either from the puppet government he worked for or directly from Russian intelligence.

Until Paul Manafort, Carter Paige and some of the other people associated with the Trump campaign have been totally cleared, none of us will know.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                        I think the shrill we hear everyday with Trump as the President would be equally loud if Hillary had won. Instead of Russian hacking, it would be her emails. Instead of Trump getting stupid on Twitter, Hillary would refer to half of the country as deplorables.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                          Ill take Trumps stupid antics and his policies every day over Hillary. I do hope Trump gets tired of dealing with it and hands it off to Pence. In about 18 months would be ideal. But ill take 1 term, too.
                          It isn't his antics or his rhetoric, but his actions. People are allowed to say stupid things, and do stupid things, as long as they are legal.

Trump's unearthed comments during the campaign weren't bad because he said a naughty word, they were bad because they admitted to sexual assault.

Trump's tweets on Mika and Joe weren't bad because he used insults or attacked them personally, they were bad because they admitted to conspiracy, defamation, extortion and blackmail. It isn't just wrong; it is possibly illegal. Just like it was illegal to hire a son-in-law or daughter under anti-nepotism laws (US Code 3110).

It isn't about the sanctity of the office or respecting the nation to me. Frankly that ship sailed with Kennedy, with Nixon, with Clinton. Trump is breaking new ground but it isn't the biggest issue in the room. The issue is our rule of law. Not only has Trump done illegal actions (by his own account, not just allegations), he has made the argument that he is above the law because he is President.

Comment

Ill take Trumps stupid antics and his policies every day over Hillary. I do hope Trump gets tired of dealing with it and hands it off to Pence. In about 18 months would be ideal. But ill take 1 term, too.
                            12 months max, PLEASE!

Comment

• Trump is a class A jackass...

Hey, looks like Obamacare may get repealed and taxes cut!! 👍

One of these statements affects my life for the better.

One really has no impact
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

One really has no impact
                                No kidding.

Comment

Working...
                                X