Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
    They aren't hard to find. They are estimates that are being touted in the media, but doubted by the actual watchdog groups. He's spending a lot. There are circumstances at play, but it's a lot.
    Meh, nevermind. I wanted to know where he is getting those specific numbers, but frankly that's a rabbit hole I am not jumping down with such limited time.

I'm much more concerned about the developments regarding Syria and North Korea than any of the discussion regarding vacation spend or preschool funding.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      Just curious the last President who had a real job? Lived in the real world?

Don't forget George Washington borrowed money to get to his inauguration, and used his off time to tend to his farm, to pay his bills.
      Jimmy Carter would be the closest thing to having a real job with his peanut farm. And he wasn't heading down to Georgia every weekend to put government money into his business (in fact, he had an actual blind trust). Shitty President, but he handled his business the correct way.

And I highly dispute the idea that Trump's business is a "real job" or that he lives in the "real world." The reality of a business heir with a private business is that he had plenty of money and power but essentially zero responsibilities. Unlike in a public business, Trump had no shareholders and total control of his business. A huge part of having a real job is having real accountability. But even he was a CEO of a public company I don't think it is fair to say that he'd be somehow closer to the real world than politicians. Trump has spent a great deal of time and money gilding his properties to make it very clear that he's not a part of the same world as the rest of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
        I got the numbers from the first page I opened up. Honestly the specific number is a little disputed but my point isn't the number but the fact that it is going to his bank account.
        If they are disputed, why did you run with them without mentioning that?

Comment

Jimmy Carter would be the closest thing to having a real job with his peanut farm. And he wasn't heading down to Georgia every weekend to put government money into his business (in fact, he had an actual blind trust). Shitty President, but he handled his business the correct way.

And I highly dispute the idea that Trump's business is a "real job" or that he lives in the "real world." The reality of a business heir with a private business is that he had plenty of money and power but essentially zero responsibilities. Unlike in a public business, Trump had no shareholders and total control of his business. A huge part of having a real job is having real accountability. But even he was a CEO of a public company I don't think it is fair to say that he'd be somehow closer to the real world than politicians. Trump has spent a great deal of time and money gilding his properties to make it very clear that he's not a part of the same world as the rest of us.
          I'm sorry, you lost me when you said someone who is totally vested in his business (no shareholders) and total control of said business (answers to no one), he somehow does not have accountability.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            If they are disputed, why did you run with them without mentioning that?
            my point isn't the number but the fact that it is going to his bank account.
            The number is a ballpark estimate. It is not worth debating over since it will just end up in a nitpicking fight that tries desperately to avoid the actual thing I wanted to talk about.

Comment

I'm sorry, you lost me when you said someone who is totally vested in his business (no shareholders) and total control of said business (answers to no one), he somehow does not have accountability.
              ac·count·a·bil·i·ty: the fact or condition of being accountable; responsibility.

There has only ever been ONE person in Trump's entire life that had the power to hold him accountable, and that was his father before he passed. Trump has lived as a dictator of his own world since he was 13. Answering to no one in your life is not a respectable thing, it is the single biggest flaw in Trump's personality. He never learned lessons that normal people learn growing up, lessons that are taught by being told no.

A lineman that messes up gets fired. A man that breaks the law is jailed. A small business owner that loses their money goes bankrupt. A CEO that loses their company money is removed. A senator that messes up loses reelection.

Trump has never experienced any of those things. He has had no responsibilities, not in any sense that a normal person had. He's never had anything to lose. Acting as if he's some common Joe that knows the real world is completely ignoring what Trump actually is.

Comment

ac·count·a·bil·i·ty: the fact or condition of being accountable; responsibility.

There has only ever been ONE person in Trump's entire life that had the power to hold him accountable, and that was his father before he passed. Trump has lived as a dictator of his own world since he was 13. Answering to no one in your life is not a respectable thing, it is the single biggest flaw in Trump's personality. He never learned lessons that normal people learn growing up, lessons that are taught by being told no.

A lineman that messes up gets fired. A man that breaks the law is jailed. A small business owner that loses their money goes bankrupt. A CEO that loses their company money is removed. A senator that messes up loses reelection.

Trump has never experienced any of those things. He has had no responsibilities, not in any sense that a normal person had. He's never had anything to lose. Acting as if he's some common Joe that knows the real world is completely ignoring what Trump actually is.
                So, he is not responsible for his employees? If he blows his fortune on a horse race, everything will be fine and there are no consequences?

I never said he was Joe Blow, you did. I said I stopped reading your rebuttal when you said he has no responsibilities. He is responsible for the jobs of thousands of his employees. The only people who downplay that, well, have never been there.

Comment

• Comment

So, he is not responsible for his employees? If he blows his fortune on a horse race, everything will be fine and there are no consequences?

I never said he was Joe Blow, you did. I said I stopped reading your rebuttal when you said he has no responsibilities. He is responsible for the jobs of thousands of his employees. The only people who downplay that, well, have never been there.
                    If your statement "Just curious the last President who had a real job? Lived in the real world?" was not intended to say "Who was the last President that, like Trump, had a real job" I apologize. But I will not let Trump be praised for somehow being more real than Obama/Clinton/Bush/Reagan/Carter/Ford/Nixon ... because he isn't. He's a princess, a spoiled brat that stayed that way. I don't know why that isn't ridiculously obvious to people, but I can't let a facade that ludicrous exist.

And while he may be in charge of his employees jobs, he is not responsible for them. He doesn't care about them, full-stop. This I can prove, if you challenge me.

Comment

• Well done, President Trump:

Comment

• Originally posted by seskridge
                        Trump doesn't understand the civil war or that Andrew Jackson wasn't alive at the time. What an idiot.
                        Pretty exciting to get a snip it of a negative take on the man you hate and just run with it! Your statement has nothing to do with what Trump said.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/us/politics/trump-andrew-jackson-fact-check.html
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by seskridge
                          Trump doesn't understand the civil war or that Andrew Jackson wasn't alive at the time. What an idiot.
                          First off, people need to understand Jackson.

Then, they need to understand that the debate over state's rights was a hotly debated topic during Jackson's presidency. Then, if you come to the conclusion that Jackson held the nation together during the 1830's, he might have been less likely to have states seceeding in the 1860's. Maybe, if Jackson was president later, the Civil War could have been averted.

Trump's actual quote, "I mean, had Andrew Jackson been a little later, you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart, and he was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War. He said, "There's no reason for this." People don't realize, you know, the Civil War, you think about it, why?"

Nowhere in the quote does Trump say Jackson was alive during the Civil War. In fact, at the very beginning, Trump opined that had Andrew Jackson "come later". Trump never said Jackson was alive during the Civil War. Trump's remarks were in relation to the work Jackson did to preserve the ciuntry all the way back in the 1820-30's.

In the end, Trump's problem with his statement has nothing to do with Jackson being alive or dead in the 1860's, the real challenge is that Andrew Jackson was an unrepentant slaveowner and that is the person that Trump thinks could have saved the nation.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                            Trump's actual quote, "I mean, had Andrew Jackson been a little later, you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart, and he was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War. He said, "There's no reason for this." People don't realize, you know, the Civil War, you think about it, why?"

Nowhere in the quote does Trump say Jackson was alive during the Civil War. In fact, at the very beginning, Trump opined that had Andrew Jackson "come later". Trump never said Jackson was alive during the Civil War. Trump's remarks were in relation to the work Jackson did to preserve the ciuntry all the way back in the 1820-30's.
                            Someone said to me today "Trump thinks Andrew Jackson was alive during the Civil War."

My first thought was "hmm... I'm not sure where I would've pegged Jackson in comparison to the Civil War." But in general, I didn't think anything about it.

Now that I've looked up the actual quote, I don't really understand how people made it out that he said Jackson was alive during it. Like you said, he specifically says Jackson came earlier.

There are a million reasons Trump is doing a bad job. There at least that many reasons to make fun of him. Why are the things that make headlines the things that are just obviously false or not a big deal?

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                              There are a million reasons Trump is doing a bad job. There at least that many reasons to make fun of him. Why are the things that make headlines the things that are just obviously false or not a big deal?
                              Because they won't stay off reddit.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                                I saw the same thing during Obama's terms. So many legitimate things to criticize him for, but people would run with fake news. I think it's because fake news is easy to understand, rather than the real stuff that requires some critical thinking and wading through the nuance.

Both sides have this problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X