Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
    I haven't given a lot of thought to the multiple meals per day, but on the surface I hate it. If someone is in a financial state such that they can't afford the bare minimum food for their child, there is social welfare that pays for that. Why also give free meals at school? Kinda double-dipping. If your idea is to transition the money from welfare/food stamps from the parents pocket to the schools, that would make some sense, but what parent that won't provide food to their kid at home is going to get them to school for two meals?
    I think the idea is that it should appease both sides of the aisle a little bit. It's really pretty cheap to feed kids breakfast, and it doesn't really change anything about the school day. You either have the school day start 15 minutes later or the bus drop kids off 15 minutes earlier. In fact, every bus I rode to school got there at least 15 minutes early. I think, ideally, you probably reduce assistance in some other way, but the argument is that this is a type of assistance that cannot be mistreated by a bad parent. You have bad parents that sell their food stamps for drugs or whatever, but they can't sell a second meal for the kids. These programs typically have had a positive impact on attendance and academic performance: http://www.nber.org/papers/w17720

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
      I think the idea is that it should appease both sides of the aisle a little bit. It's really pretty cheap to feed kids breakfast, and it doesn't really change anything about the school day. You either have the school day start 15 minutes later or the bus drop kids off 15 minutes earlier. In fact, every bus I rode to school got there at least 15 minutes early. I think, ideally, you probably reduce assistance in some other way, but the argument is that this is a type of assistance that cannot be mistreated by a bad parent. You have bad parents that sell their food stamps for drugs or whatever, but they can't sell a second meal for the kids. These programs typically have had a positive impact on attendance and academic performance: http://www.nber.org/papers/w17720
      The article you quoted compared eating breakfast in the classroom vs cafeteria. Is that what you are touting?
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by seskridge
        I will no longer discuss my personal opinions as that is all you want to discuss. You are being an a hole.
        I'm sorry you feel this way. I really don't want to be an a-hole, I'm finding out that life is too short for that. I really just wanted to understand your point and having been tasked with starting a preschool, wondered what info you had that backed any claims that preschool lowers crime rates. Somehow we went from preschool to comparing the value of preschool spending withTrump vacation spending and so on. That said, I don't want to be an a-hole, . don't think I was, but if that is really how you feel, I'll forget my lingering questions and just drop it.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I don't have a problem with free or reduced breakfast and lunch. It's true that foodstamps and WIK should pay for the kid's food, but there is no way to ensure that kids are getting fed by their parents, the kids aren't perpetrating feaud, they're just hungry. Give 'em a yogurt, a banana, a piece of toast and move on.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

The article you quoted compared eating breakfast in the classroom vs cafeteria. Is that what you are touting?
            That's what I get for just providing the first link. I guess it probably supports the proposition in a roundabout way, but that's not really what I'm arguing. I'm just saying that I've read a lot of materials suggesting school breakfast in general has a positive effect on attendance and grades.

Here are more on point studies: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...5.00025.x/full; http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/66399; http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...02822395003061

Comment

That's what I get for just providing the first link. I guess it probably supports the proposition in a roundabout way, but that's not really what I'm arguing. I'm just saying that I've read a lot of materials suggesting school breakfast in general has a positive effect on attendance and grades.

Here are more on point studies: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...5.00025.x/full; http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/66399; http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...02822395003061
              Yes it does. And breakfast is cheaper than lunch, plus it ensures that kids are fed and in a state that they can learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                Yes it does. And breakfast is cheaper than lunch, plus it ensures that kids are fed and in a state that they can learn.
                Apparently all it takes for us to agree on back-to-back issues is finding a liberal that I don't agree with!

Comment

Apparently all it takes for us to agree on back-to-back issues is finding a liberal that I don't agree with!
                  It's not that difficult. I'm really not that conservative,I didn't vote for Trump. I just thought the post election protests were embarrassingly silly, there is no place for dressing up as a giant vagina and breaking windows out of a bunch of Starbucks was just stupid. That said, if throwing a little breakfast at kids will really help outcomes, I support that. In my opinion, that is much more effective, less expensive and pragmatic than many other answers that our educators have come up with to fix our public schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                    I don't have a problem with free or reduced breakfast and lunch. It's true that foodstamps and WIK should pay for the kid's food, but there is no way to ensure that kids are getting fed by their parents, the kids aren't perpetrating feaud, they're just hungry. Give 'em a yogurt, a banana, a piece of toast and move on.
                    MVJ, is your daycare paid for by parents, donations, federal funding, or all of the above? What ages, cost, and curriculum? I'm curious in general. I have a boy going into 3rd grade and another going into kindergarten. Due to our daycare closing down 2 years ago, they got different pre-k programs. The elder's was far superior.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

MVJ, is your daycare paid for by parents, donations, federal funding, or all of the above? What ages, cost, and curriculum? I'm curious in general. I have a boy going into 3rd grade and another going into kindergarten. Due to our daycare closing down 2 years ago, they got different pre-k programs. The elder's was far superior.
                      Parents pay for much of it. The parish subsidized it as well as, offers some financial aid. The Children's Scholarship Fund also helps many families in our parish. While not free, some parents pay as little as a couple of hundred dollars for preschool, plus, with the Children's Scholarship Fund, we have a few dozen kids that get their k-8 for free.

Edit... No federal funding. Our lunch program used to be federally funded, but with the new lunch program passed during the Obama administration, it became non-viable. We actually outsourced our lunch program to a local district that has a catering system. The district manages the whole thing for us, the church pays a fee to the district to operate the entire program, they even administer the lunch fees and manage the entire free and reduced program. We sit back and let them do it. The district is happy as it increases their census, plus we are now a profit center for them. Everybody wins.
                      Last edited by MoValley John; April 14, 2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• While all this talk about preschools and lunches has been fascinating, I'd like to go on a short rant about why what Trump is doing isn't acceptable. It is one thing for a President to golf. Like or not, they all do. It is one thing for them to occasionally take days off, for their families to go on vacation. Like it or not, they all do.

Not a single one before Trump used vacations to launder taxpayer money into their personal wealth. That's something reserved for dictators in ****-hole countries. Every time Trump stays at a Trump property, he gets a check. A check for him, for his family, for his secret service, for the foreign dignitaries and their security. It goes directly to a Trump bank account. At his current rate taxpayers will spend $11.3M a month for vacations, $542 million in his term, but if anything he probably gets MORE than that because he also profits from the people visiting Mar-A-Lago to meet with him.

He's using taxpayer money in a get rich quick scheme. There's really nothing more to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                          While all this talk about preschools and lunches has been fascinating, I'd like to go on a short rant about why what Trump is doing isn't acceptable. It is one thing for a President to golf. Like or not, they all do. It is one thing for them to occasionally take days off, for their families to go on vacation. Like it or not, they all do.

Not a single one before Trump used vacations to launder taxpayer money into their personal wealth. That's something reserved for dictators in ****-hole countries. Every time Trump stays at a Trump property, he gets a check. A check for him, for his family, for his secret service, for the foreign dignitaries and their security. It goes directly to a Trump bank account. At his current rate taxpayers will spend $11.3M a month for vacations, $542 million in his term, but if anything he probably gets MORE than that because he also profits from the people visiting Mar-A-Lago to meet with him.

He's using taxpayer money in a get rich quick scheme. There's really nothing more to it.
                          Can you send a link where you are getting your numbers?
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            They aren't hard to find. They are estimates that are being touted in the media, but doubted by the actual watchdog groups. He's spending a lot. There are circumstances at play, but it's a lot.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                              While all this talk about preschools and lunches has been fascinating, I'd like to go on a short rant about why what Trump is doing isn't acceptable. It is one thing for a President to golf. Like or not, they all do. It is one thing for them to occasionally take days off, for their families to go on vacation. Like it or not, they all do.

Just curious the last President who had a real job? Lived in the real world?

Don't forget George Washington borrowed money to get to his inauguration, and used his off time to tend to his farm, to pay his bills.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                I got the numbers from the first page I opened up. Honestly the specific number is a little disputed but my point isn't the number but the fact that it is going to his bank account.

Comment

Working...
                                X