No announcement yet.

Sanders - Hit Everybody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The US post office delivered my WSU season tickets for the undefeated season in May of the next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
      I don't doubt the depth of your knowledge on this issue, but is that an average for NYC or something? My aunt has this exact job and makes about $40k in a city larger and more expensive than Wichita despite having held the same position for somewhere between 5 and 10 years. This chart (it looks like it is an unofficial aggregator similar to glassdoor) indicates the $53k number would be in the 80th percentile of salaries for that position with USPS and the range for the middle three quintiles is ~$29k - $53k.

Nailed it.

I want to be truthful and fair, that's why I pointed out my mistake in the productivity part. I'll look for my reference on the wage stat.

And while yes, 50k is a ridiculous sum to be paid to work a counter, it's the pensions, and collective bargaining with THE GOVERNMENT that is the biggest issue I have here.

I honestly don't have a problem with time off as people should spend more time with family and friends. But I have a problem when you're paying those insane wages WITH the time off for unskilled labor, negotiated with the government....and the pensions.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackStraw View Post
        Just a few counters to the falsehoods in DrWu's article ....... For the record , I've been retired for 11 yrs , so a bit out of touch , but did have 30+ yrs service as a mail carrier .....

1.Productivity is about 25% of other delivery systems.---- that's a BS political statement ..... Define productivity , show the charts ..... The Postal Service delivers over 40 % of the entire world volume ......

2. No competition --- only to the inside of your USPS mail box , plenty of competition in every thing else...... Do you really think people want to have their mailbox open for just anybody to stuff things in ..... Around here if you have all kinds of people coming up on your porch and messing around , they might get shot ......

3. They pay rates and benefits FAR above their competition --- again , a BS right wing talking point , and has been for 40 yrs.... When I worked , the top pay for carriers was less than the top pay for UPS drivers....... With salary and benefits together , we were a little below Boeing , and about even with Beech .......

4. 90% of it is union. ---- prob true , but out of all those union thugs , 70-80 % are republicans ....... and like they say , if you're scared of a union person , how are you going to be able to face Hillary ??

5. It's INSANE what a mail carrier gets paid ---- You big whiner , go down and sign up......... They have been hiring lately ....... They need some big tough guys like you , currently only about 50 % can last the first year .......

6. Go Shocks , and I'll hang up and listen ..........
        I will never forget the time that Doc told me that the U. S. Government was stealing his money. That had to be the biggest whopper of all time. None of the current crop of presidential candidates would have the eggs to make that kind of a statement. I can buy into the statement that Trump made where he observed the federal government 'wastes a lot of money', but to lodge that kind of accusation means that ANY money he pays in taxes does not benefit him in any way at all. Organizations of all kind waste money, look at the recent scandal around the Wounded Warrior Project, if you want an egregious one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
          I don't doubt the depth of your knowledge on this issue, but is that an average for NYC or something? My aunt has this exact job and makes about $40k in a city larger and more expensive than Wichita despite having held the same position for somewhere between 5 and 10 years. This chart (it looks like it is an unofficial aggregator similar to glassdoor) indicates the $53k number would be in the 80th percentile of salaries for that position with USPS and the range for the middle three quintiles is ~$29k - $53k.
          40,000/52 weeks (number of weeks in a year) = 769.23/Wk. 769.23/40 (hours in a week) = 19.23.

I don't think $19.23 per hour is overpaying anyone for a job of this type. And yes, there are salary differentials in most any job (including ones in large multi-national organizations) depending on whether you live in an area with high expenses (such as New York or Chicago) or low expenses (such as Pratt, Kansas).

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
            40,000/52 weeks (number of weeks in a year) = 769.23/Wk. 769.23/40 (hours in a week) = 19.23.

I don't think $19.23 per hour is overpaying anyone for a job of this type. And yes, there are salary differentials in most any job (including ones in large multi-national organizations) depending on whether you live in an area with high expenses (such as New York or Chicago) or low expenses (such as Pratt, Kansas).
            Trend and statistics of average annual salaries of postal service mail carriers in Kansas.

40 is pretty low, mid 50s is the average. And that's not including the pension that gets paid when you retire.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
              http://www.usawage.com/ks/postal_ser...-in-kansas.php

40 is pretty low, mid 50s is the average. And that's not including the pension that gets paid when you retire.
              source http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes435051.htm

3-5051 Postal Service Clerks

Perform any combination of tasks in a post office, such as receive letters and parcels; sell postage and revenue stamps, postal cards, and stamped envelopes; fill out and sell money orders; place mail in pigeon holes of mail rack or in bags; and examine mail for correct postage.

National estimates for this occupation
              Industry profile for this occupation
              Geographic profile for this occupation
              National estimates for this occupation: Top

Employment estimate and mean wage estimates for this occupation:
              71,910 0.0 % $23.58 $49,040 0.3 %
              Percentile wage estimates for this occupation:
              Hourly Wage $12.96 $17.15 $26.72 $26.87 $27.77
              Annual Wage (2) $26,950 $35,670 $55,590 $55,880 $57,760
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                http://www.usawage.com/ks/postal_ser...-in-kansas.php

Yea, I think this link is for the delivery guys and not the clerks. The BLS link @im4wsu: provided I think is probably about right - it shows a basement just below $30k and a ceiling in the high $50s, with the median employee getting $49k. The BLS link also shows that the mean in KS for this job is $36,770-$45,740, which also sounds about right - folks in more expensive places like CA and MA are on the higher end of the scale.

Comment

• At the end of the day, these people have a pretty average, non-technical job with good benefits and solid but not mindblowing annual salaries.

The completely asinine part of the equation IMO is the incredibly generous pension these workers (and most other fed gov workers) are entitled to. Huge defined benefit plans went the way of the dodo in the 90s, with the bulk of the transition occurring in the 70s and 80s. People live too long and interest rates are too low for that sort of stupidity to be financially feasible if you have to fully fund the liability yourself.

Of course, if you don't...

Comment

• WuWho ........ I might have been a mailman , but I'm not stupid . I did graduate from WSU with honors ...... I know better than coming in here and challenging all you republicans...... whoever this Wu character is , he need's some anger management therapy ....... No reason to debate all your talking points , but if you do your research you will find most of your ideas are just right wing BS..... Heritage Foundation , Cato Institute , ALEC , etc ...... wake up people , this stuff is just propaganda..... We might all be Shocker fans , but I'm afraid we will have to fight each other to the end on political issues.......... The war goes on , and the country goes down .......... Fire away , I won't be back ..........

Comment

Working...
                    X