Sanders - Hit Everybody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanders - Hit Everybody

Sunday on ABC’s “This Week,” Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

said his tax increases would “hit everybody” because he would raise the payroll tax to pay for paid family and medical leave.
    To understand what that really means - look to Europe for where we are going.

Dutch Tax Rates

Bracket Broken down to Tax, Premium National Insurance

0-19,822: 8.35%, 28.15% - TOTAL 36.5%
    19,822 to 33,589: 13.85%, 28.15% - TOTAL 42%
    33,589 to 57,585: 42% - TOTAL 42%
    57,585+ : 52% - TOTAL 52%

30% tax on saving and investmentTax Credits$2501 for lower income bracket
    $1524 for upper income bracket

with some additional credits depending on when born and if you have a partner without job, or kids, etc.

Germany:
    0% up to 15,329 euro
    15% from 15,300 - 104,304 euro
    42% from 104,305 - 500,000 euro
    45% from 500,001+

England
    Rates for above tax free allowance (e.g. for income less than 100,000 is 10,600)
    20% Up to 31,785 (dividend 10%, Saving 20%)
    40% Between 31,785 - 150,000 (Dividend 32%, Saving 40%)
    45% > 150,000 (dividend 37.5%, Saving 42.5%)

France (per unit)
    0% up to 9,690
    14% 9,690 to 26,764
    30% 26,764 to 71,754
    41% 71,754 to 151,956
    45% >151,956

now you also have to consider Europe also has a VAT

So, in current politi-speak, Sanders hates the poor?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      So, in current politi-speak, Sanders hates the poor?
      Yes. Being fair means you hate the people who used to be getting free stuff at the expense of those who are earning. Asking them to chip anything into the pie to show some solidarity with the rest of the country means you hate them.

Comment

I KNEW he was racist.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Heard about the new Bernie Sanders drinking game? You listen to him speak and every time he mentions free stuff, you chug somebody else’s beer.

Comment

Did anyone see Bernie try to shame Americans by comparing China's 14 week paid maternity leave to the US's ZERO?

Good point Bernie. Of course, forced and coerced abortions to limit what the leaders believe should be the correct family size is a part of the equation too Bernie.

This is what some of you are asking for. You want everything for "free" (nothing is free by the way)? This is what happens. You're giving up your freedoms.

I am SO sick and tired of stupid people.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Did anyone see Bernie try to shame Americans by comparing China's 14 week paid maternity leave to the US's ZERO?

Good point Bernie. Of course, forced and coerced abortions to limit what the leaders believe should be the correct family size is a part of the equation too Bernie.

This is what some of you are asking for. You want everything for "free" (nothing is free by the way)? This is what happens. You're giving up your freedoms.

China was unneeded in that comparison, as the U.S. is one of only two developed nations in the world that does not have a mandatory paid maternity leave.
              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                China was unneeded in that comparison, as the U.S. is one of only two developed nations in the world that does not have a mandatory paid maternity leave.
                Isn't that what vacation is for?

Comment

Most of the other countries don't defend the free world either.

Comment

Most of the other countries don't defend the free world either.
                    Not if they're on maternity leave! Peace can wait 14 more weeks.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

So if we have a younger female become President someday, would the Vice President take over for 12 weeks while she is on maternity leave? The minimum age is 35, so it is possible.

Comment

Interestingly, many "progressive" countries actually have very regressive tax systems. VAT and national sales taxes are largely regressive, with much more impact on the poor and middle class, and yet most Scandinavian countries rely on them to pay for their welfare projects. However, the total taxation rate is still much higher. I actually don't mind VATs and sales taxes because income taxes are incredibly inefficient at generating revenue, invasive, and wasteful.

In my opinion the best way to handle taxes would involve:

* A flat income tax - Simple, easy, eliminates waste.
                        * Zero corporate taxes - Encourages business, and ultimately corporate taxes are paid by the consumer anyway
                        * Payroll taxes - Best way to fund certain programs
                        * A national VAT - It seems effective at generating revenue in Europe, but may offset the elimination of corporate taxes
                        * State/Local taxes - Unchanged

So overall I'm pretty heavily in favor of what would normally be considered a regressive tax system. A progressive tax system encourages waste, bureaucracy, and is a poor way to reduce inequality. I favor quite a few progressive policies, but only when I believe they are more efficient and pragmatic than our current model. Our tax system is none of those things. Of all the candidates I think Rand Paul has the best approach, though I'd leave the rates high enough that it wouldn't be an effective tax cut while he wants to cut $2T (which I believe would massively balloon the debt, as it is harder to cut spending than taxes).

Taxes might be Sander's weakest issue. He wants a very progressive tax system, and many of his proposed taxes could be unfeasible or massively destructive in practice. Inequality should be addressed with social programs, not taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                          Interestingly, many "progressive" countries actually have very regressive tax systems. VAT and national sales taxes are largely regressive, with much more impact on the poor and middle class, and yet most Scandinavian countries rely on them to pay for their welfare projects. However, the total taxation rate is still much higher. I actually don't mind VATs and sales taxes because income taxes are incredibly inefficient at generating revenue, invasive, and wasteful.

* Zero corporate taxes - Encourages business, and ultimately corporate taxes are paid by the consumer anyway
                          * A national VAT - It seems effective at generating revenue in Europe, but may offset the elimination of corporate taxes

So overall I'm pretty heavily in favor of what would normally be considered a regressive tax system. A progressive tax system encourages waste, bureaucracy, and is a poor way to reduce inequality. I favor quite a few progressive policies, but only when I believe they are more efficient and pragmatic than our current model. Our tax system is none of those things. Of all the candidates I think Rand Paul has the best approach, though I'd leave the rates high enough that it wouldn't be an effective tax cut while he wants to cut $2T (which I believe would massively balloon the debt, as it is harder to cut spending than taxes).

Taxes might be Sander's weakest issue. He wants a very progressive tax system, and many of his proposed taxes could be unfeasible or massively destructive in practice. Inequality should be addressed with social programs, not taxes.
                          Strong post.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Unfortunately, a very common disease among those pulling the wagon. Unfortunately, the disease seems to be spreading. The only cure I guess is to join the large group of those people in the wagon until the wagon totally breaks down of course. The way we are going that has become an of issue of when not if. Whether or not we are beyond the point of no return is the question. We may be getting there if we aren't already there.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Good post but I don't think VATS are super simple since they are assessed at every stage of the manufacturing process. I would prefer a national sales tax on the sale of products and services to the final consumer collected by piggy-backing on the existing state collection systems with the states receiving a cut for the collection work. Credits can be issued to those below a selected income level by issuing a direct deposit to the recipients bank account (similar to Social Security benefits) or perhaps by using a downloadable prepaid credit card (although that may be more susceptible to CC theft and fraud activities). The only income tax returns/reports would be those needed to qualify for the low-income credits. I think this is what the so-called Fair Tax plans propose. Either one would be preferable to the mess we have.

Comment

Working...
                              X