Hillary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    You just proved my point. Fox is the ONLY "conservative" broadcast out there. THE ONLY ONE. On the flipside, you have ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN and even PBS on the left. You label Drudge and Breitbart as internet news but fail to see the absolute mudslide of liberal internet sites polluting the web.

The onesidedness of the media is appalling, you shouldn't even bring it up. That said, I don't care about liberals running the media, I just wish they would report honestly, they don't.
    I'm pretty sure no one would confuse you with a liberal. I also want to apologize for overlooking two of your favorites. CNS news and WND.

Moreover, the media is one-sided because that's what consumers want. Fox News seems to do a pretty good job delivering news to conservatives, based on their ratings and demographics. Ratings and demographics keep them in business by providing advertising revenue. And based on ratings and demographics, most people don't want to watch what you want to watch (or read what you want to read). I guess that means you're for free markets when they suit your needs and when they don't you kvetch about it. It's all one big giant conspiracy conjured up in your mind where everyone's out to get you. That's why you feel appalled.

Lastly, one outlet that hasn't even been discussed is Al-Jazeera. They may be the most unbiased news source out there. They called BS on journalism in general in an article on LinkedIn last week, calling NBC to task for Brian William's war exaggerations and also ABC's George Stephanopoulos for not disclosing his ties to the Clinton Global Initiative.

Comment

QUOTE=shocka khan;581271]I'm pretty sure no one would confuse you with a liberal. I also want to apologize for overlooking two of your favorites. CNS news and WND.

Moreover, the media is one-sided because that's what consumers want. Fox News seems to do a pretty good job delivering news to conservatives, based on their ratings and demographics. Ratings and demographics keep them in business by providing advertising revenue. And based on ratings and demographics, most people don't want to watch what you want to watch (or read what you want to read). I guess that means you're for free markets when they suit your needs and when they don't you kvetch about it. It's all one big giant conspiracy conjured up in your mind where everyone's out to get you. That's why you feel appalled.

Lastly, one outlet that hasn't even been discussed is Al-Jazeera. They may be the most unbiased news source out there. They called BS on journalism in general in an article on LinkedIn last week, calling NBC to task for Brian William's war exaggerations and also ABC's George Stephanopoulos for not disclosing his ties to the Clinton Global Initiative.[/QUOTE]

Im appalled, not because of any of the garbage you spew, but because before I got into the advertising side, I actually worked the news side for a short time.

Now let me give you a little idea of what is really happening. Our news is poor not for anything you say, but because there isn't enough good, hard news to fill a 24 hour news cycle. Period. With the advent of cable TV, then the internet, we have too much time to fill and not enough content. 90%, maybe more of our current "news" coverage is not news, but editorial. This started at the beginning. When Ted Turner invented CNN, he had to invent programming. We got Crossfire and other opinion shows. News moved from the focus to an afterthought. The "journalist" became the focus. Ideology replaced integrity. Opinion replaced fact. Dan Rather threw an admirable career away chasing a story that didn't exist, reporting what he hoped was the truth with what was actually a made up fallacy.

The news is now owned by the entertainment industry, it's their rules. It's their opinion. You throw out your ratings as what people want to consume, but Fox tops all of them, so I guess if it's all about the ratings, as you said,the conservatives are winning. There are just more entertainment corporations run by liberals.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
        Moreover, the media is one-sided because that's what consumers want. ... And based on ratings and demographics, most people don't want to watch what you want to watch (or read what you want to read).
        You throw out your ratings as what people want to consume, but Fox tops all of them, so I guess if it's all about the ratings, as you said,the conservatives are winning.
        Combined.

I guess that means you're for free markets when they suit your needs and when they don't you kvetch about it. It's all one big giant conspiracy conjured up in your mind where everyone's out to get you. That's why you feel appalled.
        I don't recall ever coming across someone who is so baselessly arrogant and condescending. Oh wait, there's the entire KU fan base. No -- they at least have _something_ to hang their hats on (tradition and prior success).

It's humorous to watch shocka flame out repeatedly though. @shocka khan: gets all proud of himself and then starts attacking the person he is arguing with -- for no reason really -- based on believing his own woefully ignorant "facts", and never realizes how wrong his original premise is. And it's like groundhog day -- we get to see it happen over and over and over again, with a different twist each time. Fun!
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Combined.

I don't recall ever coming across someone who is so baselessly arrogant and condescending. Oh wait, there's the entire KU fan base. No -- they at least have _something_ to hang their hats on (tradition and prior success).

It's humorous to watch shocka flame out repeatedly though. @shocka khan: gets all proud of himself and then starts attacking the person he is arguing with -- for no reason really -- based on believing his own woefully ignorant "facts", and never realizes how wrong his original premise is. And it's like groundhog day -- we get to see it happen over and over and over again, with a different twist each time. Fun!
          The thing is, he's almost always wrong. Political ideology aide, he just almost always swings and misses. I like having discussions with both liberals and conservatives, they are mostly civil and respectful discussions. But the moment shaka khan jumps into the fray, it's amazing how stupid the discussion gets. Fast. I think I'm dealing with Dofo's dad. I don't know.

I go back to the ebola thread of last year, he was wrong, wrong again, wrong again and again and again. Dude wouldn't give it up and kept doubling down. I almost felt sorry for him. Now he's trying to tell a guy that cut his teeth in a newsroom and moved to advertising just how demographics work.

SMH and laugh.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

You just proved my point. Fox is the ONLY "conservative" broadcast out there. THE ONLY ONE. On the flipside, you have ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN and even PBS on the left. You label Drudge and Breitbart as internet news but fail to see the absolute mudslide of liberal internet sites polluting the web.

The onesidedness of the media is appalling, you shouldn't even bring it up. That said, I don't care about liberals running the media, I just wish they would report honestly, they don't.

# of programs is irrelevant, viewership is much more important. Fox rules the viewership count. Fox doesn't just have the #1, #2, and #3 cable news programs in rating, they have the top 14. And then you have talk radio, which is virtually entirely conservative. There is a liberal bias in page views on the internet, and perhaps a liberal bias in general among newspapers. However I'd argue that actual voters get their information primarily from talk radio (viewership ~100M), and TV editorials (viewership in tens of millions) and that newspapers are essentially dead. The internet is a growing source of influence, but only is the primary source for the young which essentially have no impact on elections.

This is a decent article about the self-reported political beliefs of many media sources, but I wouldn't take too much stock in the % of correspondent numbers because they don't match Nielsen ratings. The least political biased sources were the Wall Street Journal, USA today, Google News, The Economist, and Bloomberg. In general I would treat ANY editorial "news" with a heavy dose of skepticism, whether it comes from Fox, MSNBC, Politico, or TheBlaze. They all exist to serve an agenda, and they have absolutely zero legal incentive to tell the truth. I blame the 24 hour news cycle for America's recent polarization, for pretty obvious reasons. Low quality editorializing that needs to keep people angry to keep the viewership high during the filler hours where there simply is no real news.

Comment

50 ruble army

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Combined.

I'm guessing you dont look in the mirror much. You could be polite and respectful, but you aren't. Perhaps your interactions with me would have been different if you hadn't tried so hard to be an a$$clown.

Seriously, if you tried to disagree a little more politely, maybe you'd get a different result, it might be worth a try, but it's entirely up to you.

Comment

I'm guessing you dont look in the mirror much. You could be polite and respectful, but you aren't. Perhaps your interactions with me would have been different if you hadn't tried so hard to be an a$$clown.

Seriously, if you tried to disagree a little more politely, maybe you'd get a different result, it might be worth a try, but it's entirely up to you.
                  Maybe he will be polite and respectful and call you a a$$clown.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXJOCK View Post
                    Maybe he will be polite and respectful and call you *AN* a$$clown.
                    Somehow it just seemed appropriate here

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXJOCK View Post
                      Maybe he will be polite and respectful and call you a a$$clown.
                      I agree. Calling me an a$$clown would definitely be an improvement over the way he addresses me, but I'm thinking a little further, more like being able to have a discussion without name-calling. I definitely get the fact that he does not understand the way my mind works, but that road runs both ways.

Right now, we're both doing name-calling. Seems odd that we are both ex-students and boosters of the same school, one totally random dude who really doesn't have a purpose here (MoValleyJohn) can get us to calling each other names.

IMO, the two of us should both be more civil to each other and MoValleyJohn should find him a board (like MVC fans) so he can troll to his heart's content.

Remember that this whole fracas (as well as the thread) was started by him. Perhaps this is his form of entertainment.

Comment

I agree. Calling me an a$$clown would definitely be an improvement over the way he addresses me, but I'm thinking a little further, more like being able to have a discussion without name-calling. I definitely get the fact that he does not understand the way my mind works, but that road runs both ways.

Right now, we're both doing name-calling. Seems odd that we are both ex-students and boosters of the same school, one totally random dude who really doesn't have a purpose here (MoValleyJohn) can get us to calling each other names.

IMO, the two of us should both be more civil to each other and MoValleyJohn should find him a board (like MVC fans) so he can troll to his heart's content.

Remember that this whole fracas (as well as the thread) was started by him. Perhaps this is his form of entertainment.
                        Except... I have met about a dozen or so Shockernet posters in person. I met several Shockernet posters this spring durng the NCAA tourney. Several more over the years when fans would travel up to Omaha to see the Shockers play here. I have a reason to be here other than to troll, I keep in touch. I joke. I rarely get into the basketball board because that is a Shocker sports forum where I know to tread lightly. That is exactly why you mostly see me off topic and in politics, because I can post with these people, keep in touch and not troll or muddy up the sports boards. If fev, the chief defender of Shockernet has no objection to me being here, you are probably off base.

You just don't get it.

Comment

You just don't get it.
                          Well put. I am extraordinarily disappointed in myself that I didn't seek you out and at a minimum buy you several adult beverages of your choice when I was in Omaha this year. I look forward to correcting that oversight, sooner than later.

If you ever have the cause to be in the 316, especially on a game night, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Well put. I am extraordinarily disappointed in myself that I didn't seek you out and at a minimum buy you several adult beverages of your choice when I was in Omaha this year. I look forward to correcting that oversight, sooner than later.

If you ever have the cause to be in the 316, especially on a game night, please let me know.
                            That first night I was planning on PM'ing you specifically, but got tied up. Then I found out you saved money and were staying in a hotel that had armed guards, a fence and razor wire to keep the crips and bloods out, so, well, you know.

When JJ Clamdip went on the cheap, he stayed in Council Bluffs. Seedy, but not a war zone. Then again, JJ stole my Doritos and drank all my Bud Light.

I probably won't get to Wichita anytime soon, my last trip was maybe seven years ago. I don't travel anymore, but if I get there, my must meets are you, Aargh, fev and a couple others.

Comment

Oh come on, you're just jealous that I am better at being pompous than you are. Though, I AM glad you deflected my criticism of how you interact with others over to me -- at least now we are talking about my favorite subject.

Comment

I probably won't get to Wichita anytime soon, my last trip was maybe seven years ago. I don't travel anymore, but if I get there, my must meets are you, Aargh, fev and a couple others.
                                Bring Black Cats!

Comment

Working...
                                X