Harris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Trump thinks he's the smartest person in the room and I have a feeling doesn't take advice from anyone. It's one of his weaknesses. During his Rep. Conv. Acceptance Speech, the first 30 minutes of his speech was really good while he used the teleprompter, and then he rambled for another hour (and most people tuned him out and changed the channel) about January 7, and how the election was stolen, etc.

About a week after, Trump (while campaigning in Georgia) went after Republican Governor Kemp in for not lying to the courts about what happened in the Georgia Senate runoff election, when Republicans stayed home to protest the stolen President election several weeks before. The two liberal Democrats (Ossoff and Warnock) won those two Senate elections, and gave the Senate to the Democrats for 2020-present.

"Democrats take control of US Senate with two Georgia victories"
    You probably haven't heard from the folks who meet with him, or the public he talks to. Both have indicated that he not only listens but probes for information before making decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

You probably haven't heard from the folks who meet with him, or the public he talks to. Both have indicated that he not only listens but probes for information before making decisions.
      He has some strengths but his weaknesses cause him problems and losing could be the result. He should have made his speech from the prompter at the Republican Convention, and then "shut up", and skipped the rambling. He lacks discipline and steps on his own message. Up until that speech at the Republican Convention, he had a great week.
      Last edited by Shockm; August 14, 2024, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• List of equipment we left in Afghanistan: - 12,000 humvees - 42,000 trucks - 1,000 armored vehicles - 78 planes/helicopters - 350,000 rifles - 16,000 night vision goggles - 160,000 radios - much more

Comment

• Andy Kaczynski @KFILE

In 2006, Tim Walz’s campaign made multiple false claims about his 1995 arrest: - He wasn’t drinking that night and failed the sobriety test due to hearing loss from his National Guard service. - He drove himself to the police station and then home after being stopped. - The DUI charge was dropped because the trooper misunderstood his condition and there was no basis for the charge. ..........Court records contradict all of these claims, showing Walz was drunk, driving 96 mph, and was transported to jail by a state trooper. https://cnn.com/2024/08/15/politics/tim-walz-2006-campaign-falsely-described-dwi-kfile/index.html

Comment

• Kamala Harris Finally Has a Policy Proposal

Of course, the press lapped it up, with several journalists on social media treating it like Harris had just stepped down from upon high to present the Ten Commandments. Nothing matters on that front. If the Harris campaign says it, it's going to be spun as "joy" and "optimism" wrapped in abject brilliance.

For normal Americans, though, these policies have consequences, and price controls would be an economic disaster. One only needs to look at the history of the Soviet Union to understand that, or if you'd like a modern day analogue, Venezuela. When government is used to cap the prices, from groceries to rent, it inevitabily leads to stagnation or even regression in the market.

Whatever lower prices exist in the short-term are nothing compared to scarcity that is caused in the long-term. Who cares if bread is "cheaper" if there's none available because production is quashed with price controls? And who cares if rent is "lower" if you end up with a massive shortage because no one will invest in new housing?

At least it's not anything authoritarian or totalitarian.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Kamala Harris Finally Has a Policy Proposal

Of course, the press lapped it up, with several journalists on social media treating it like Harris had just stepped down from upon high to present the Ten Commandments. Nothing matters on that front. If the Harris campaign says it, it's going to be spun as "joy" and "optimism" wrapped in abject brilliance.

For normal Americans, though, these policies have consequences, and price controls would be an economic disaster. One only needs to look at the history of the Soviet Union to understand that, or if you'd like a modern day analogue, Venezuela. When government is used to cap the prices, from groceries to rent, it inevitabily leads to stagnation or even regression in the market.

Whatever lower prices exist in the short-term are nothing compared to scarcity that is caused in the long-term. Who cares if bread is "cheaper" if there's none available because production is quashed with price controls? And who cares if rent is "lower" if you end up with a massive shortage because no one will invest in new housing?

At least it's not anything authoritarian or totalitarian.

What other president can you think of in recent memory that instituted draconian price controls? I'll give you a hint.

This isn’t the first time the United States has embraced protectionist trade practices, writes David A. Andelman, executive director of The RedLines Project. The Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act slapped tariffs on all countries exporting goods to the United States.

I'm not supporting Kamala's (TEAM'S) proposal, I haven't even read it. Might never. I'm just saying be fair in your thinking.

Yes, I'm the thought police of Shockernet lol.

Comment

• OH sht. I made the mistake of clicking on '72's article. Redstate.com lmfao. I immediately closed. That site is pure propaganda. Makes CNN look like Fox News.

Comment

• OMG, she literally did just promise price controls on groceries.

Vice President Kamala Harris on Friday is expected to call for a federal ban on price gouging to lower grocery prices and everyday costs for Americans in her first economic policy speech in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Y'all should brush up on history:

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

What other president can you think of in recent memory that instituted draconian price controls? I'll give you a hint.

This isn’t the first time the United States has embraced protectionist trade practices, writes David A. Andelman, executive director of The RedLines Project. The Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act slapped tariffs on all countries exporting goods to the United States.

I'm not supporting Kamala's (TEAM'S) proposal, I haven't even read it. Might never. I'm just saying be fair in your thinking.

Yes, I'm the thought police of Shockernet lol.
                      If you aren't intellectually honest enough to distinguish between tariffs and price controls, you'll need to sit in the corner.

A U.S. presidential candidate literally just promised actual _price controls_. Over one of the most critical free markets no less.

We are flirting with a very rapid decent here.

Comment

• We do have price gouging laws in some states. A case could have been made for temporary "price controls" during the market dislocation that caused much of the inflation. I absolutely saw some bullshit gouging happening all over town - including at your "friendly" neighborhood Dillon's (most dishonest store on earth).

But the speed at implementation and then removal would be beyond the scope of a local/state government. Ideally they would have some limit on the acceleration of price increases. That would have slowed the bullshit at the stores. I saw prices go up by 40% overnight in some cases. That's criminal. Profit margins at places like Walmart/Kroger during the last several years have never been better. That's not reaction to scarcity or innovative merchandising, it's predatory IMO.

Again, Capitalism only works when the citizenry is at least somewhat honest/altruistic. If everybody is cold-blooded, eventually there will be large societal imbalances hence the clamoring for government interference on pricing.

But again, people are lazy. I make it a POINT to make my vote count in the marketplace.

Comment

• I'm going to make my vote count.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

If you aren't intellectually honest enough to distinguish between tariffs and price controls, you'll need to sit in the corner.

A U.S. presidential candidate literally just promised actual _price controls_. Over one of the most critical free markets no less.

We are flirting with a very rapid decent here.
                            C'mon man....

Can't you just call a spade a spade? Both affect consumer prices and ultimately hurt the economy/populace (theoretically and historically).

Who's being intellectually dishonest now?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/cea/writt...rade%20balance.

Crucially, the increase in imported input prices adversely impacts the efficiency of domestic production. Indeed, the evidence shows that large-scale tariffs result in significant declines in domestic output and productivity, higher unemployment, more inequality and real exchange rate appreciation implying a loss of international competitiveness, while having only small effects on the trade balance. Any increases in interest rates to combat transitory inflation due to rising prices will be contractionary, additionally contributing to a decline in real investment and output. These cumulative effects are likely to further depress the revenue raised by an across-the-board tariff.

Finally, relying on a tariff as a major source of tax revenue raises serious equity concerns. As noted, across-the-board tariffs would cause substantial pressure on consumer prices, either because consumers directly purchase imported goods or because businesses that rely on imported goods as inputs to their production increase prices. Because lower-income households spend a larger share of their income on consumption of these goods, they will be disproportionately burdened by a broad tariff. For example, CEA estimates indicate that introducing a 10 percent across-the-board tariff would impose a tariff burden of 2.3 percent of income for those in the bottom quintile compared to just 0.5 percent for households in the top 1 percent, following the methodology employed by Clausing and Lovely (2024)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              OMG, she literally did just promise price controls on groceries.

Vice President Kamala Harris on Friday is expected to call for a federal ban on price gouging to lower grocery prices and everyday costs for Americans in her first economic policy speech in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Thank you for a slightly less-biased news source (CNN is left-leaning, not hard Left or hard Right).

I like the idea of anti-gouging laws. Gouging is a dishonest and maddening practice. As I mentioned in the other post, states already have their own anti-gouging laws. These aren't exactly textbook price controls - like rent control in NYC.

I would have to see the details before saying whether or not I support it.

KSAL is your number one source for salina local news, weather, sports, auctions.

Kansas has anti-gouging laws already.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                                including at your "friendly" neighborhood Dillon's (most dishonest store on earth)
                                Not by a mile. I actually do most of my shopping at Dillon's. Do you eat cereal by chance? 3 for 10 on giant size boxes last week and you would have paid double at Target/Walmart.

Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Working...
                                X