Local Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    Looks like his days of cutting in line for low income community trash dump days are limited.

Don’t worry, good doctor. I’ll keep your image going in here for a while in your memory.

Cigars up.
    So, Fev is 2 for 2 on cancels/removals. First DB and now BW. I wonder who's picture he's going to put up next.

Comment

Shoxlax, still in hiding from his erroneous Cortes prediction, approves of these results.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

So, Fev is 2 for 2 on cancels/removals. First DB and now BW. I wonder who's picture he's going to put up next.
        keyser-soze.jpg

Comment

WBJ - Wu wins Wichita mayor's race; Tuttle, Glasscock, Johnston win Council seats

Former TV news reporter Lily Wu won her initial bid for public office Tuesday, defeating incumbent Wichita mayor Brandon Whipple in a general election marked by Wu's record-setting campaign contributions.

Wu won with 58% of the vote to Whipple's 41.3% in final unofficial results released by the Sedgwick County Election Office. A Nov. 16 canvass of votes will certify the election.

An initial turnout figure from the county was 23.2% compared to 20.3% in the last mayoral election in 2019, 16.3% for the 2015 mayoral, and 12.8% for the 2011 mayoral.
          Dalton Glasscock, former chairman of the Sedgwick County Republican Party, won the District 4 (southwest Wichita) seat being vacated by two-term Council member Jeff Blubaugh. Glasscock gained 61.8% of the District 4 vote to 37.8% for Judy Pierce.

Guadalupe Clinic executive director J.V. Johnston won the election in District 5 (west Wichita) to replace Frye after his two terms. Johnson got 55% of the vote to 24.7% for Gary Bond and 20% for Ben Taylor.

Becky Tuttle received a second full term on the Council with 63.5% of the vote in District 2 (east Wichita), defeating former Goddard mayor Marcey Gregory (32%) and Hatim Zeineddine (4.1%).
          I will be curious to see how Wu does. I really have liked most of what I've seen from her so far.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Looks like his days of cutting in line for low income community trash dump days are limited.

Don’t worry, good doctor. I’ll keep your image going in here for a while in your memory.

Cigars up.
            Never a ****ing doctor, and now not a ****ing mayor either. Anyone wanna bet he's searching countrywide for the next moronic voter base to give him a tax payer supported grift? He'll never produce a damned thing in his life, a poor man's Joseph Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by Rize Ballz View Post
              Shoxlax, still in hiding from his erroneous Cortes prediction, approves of these results.
              LMAO
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

MSN - Lily Wu discusses Wichita's future with 12 News

Lily Wu joined the set of 12 News This Morning just hours after being elected mayor of Wichita by about 10,000 votes over incumbent Brandon Whipple.

Topics discussed Wednesday morning included her Tuesday victory and her vision for Wichita after she officially becomes mayor in January.
                Video in link
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Cigars up.
                  I wondered who that was in your avatar. WOW, you are highly effective at getting folks fired. DB now this dude, Can't wait to see your next change.

Comment

Technically, both DBs.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I will be curious to see how Wu does. I really have liked most of what I've seen from her so far.
                      This is Wichita, the city manager has all the power. She is a figure-head. I expect she will make a good figure-head unlike Whipple who was trying to use his limited position to cut trash lines.

Comment

• Lily getting some exposure from Reason.

Reason - Is Wichita Mayor-Elect Lily Wu a Libertarian?

"I believe in empowering the individual and limited government. I chose to become a Libertarian on my registration because it spoke to who I was."

Lily Wu—a 39-year-old immigrant, political novice, and registered member of the Libertarian Party—has just been elected mayor of Wichita, Kansas, one of the 50 largest cities in the United States.

Wu, who will become the first Asian-American mayor in Wichita's 153-year history, arrived in the United States from Guatemala when she was just 8 years old. The first person in her family to attend college, she graduated from Wichita State University with international business and marketing degrees. For the past 12 years, she's been a local television reporter, a career she says was inspired by the fact that she learned English by watching the news.

In her first foray into politics, Wu defeated incumbent Mayor Brandon Whipple by more than 10,000 votes and 16 percentage points. In her victory speech on Tuesday night, Wu stressed the importance of making the government "more responsible with the money that is being sorted to us for taxpayers"—a message that will sound familiar to many libertarians.

Other aspects of her campaign, however, have drawn criticism from the Kansas Libertarian Party, notably her plan to hire more cops in Wichita. "Make no mistake: Lily Wu is not associated or engaged with this party," the state party tweeted on Wednesday, even as the national Libertarian Party celebrated her success. (Wu was also backed by a political action committee connected to the free market group Americans for Prosperity.)

In a more diplomatic statement, Tim Giblin, chairman of the Libertarian Party of Kansas, said Wu was a "registered libertarian, but not a recognized candidate" of the state party. While acknowledging that Wu's victory brought more public attention to the party, Giblin also said his group "will be watching closely and loudly. Lily had no problem using our banner as a stepping stone throughout her campaign. We intend to hold her to that."

Wichita's mayoral elections are nonpartisan, so Wu didn't need the nomination of the Libertarian Party to get on the ballot. She certainly isn't the first former Republican to flee that party. And these internecine fights over who counts as a real libertarian are nothing new, of course.

Still, we wanted to get to the bottom of it. So Reason caught up with Wu on Thursday evening to ask about her political views, why she decided to run for mayor, and what she plans to do now that she's won.
                        Regardless of how she identifies, I think Lily has a big opportunity to do some great things. I'm also not going to lie, I'm interested to see how the KSLP responds to what she may or may not do in the future.

With that said, I think she had some great answers to the questions she was asked by Reason. She seems to be fairly pragmatic in her approach and while I can respect that, I can also acknowledge that there is a segment of the libertarian population that will be vocal in their opposition to some of it.

I hope she has great success and helps propel Wichita forward.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• She is a positive individual and possesses a personality that draws people to her. I'm not sure how much she can actually accomplish as mayor, but if she finds any success, who knows what could be next?

I know this...she believes in this city and she believes she has a responsibility to improve things. I didn't have a say in the results but I'm happy for her and I believe Wichita is in a better place.

She also impressed my better half...and that's a tall order for any politician.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            Lily getting some exposure from Reason.

Reason - Is Wichita Mayor-Elect Lily Wu a Libertarian?

Regardless of how she identifies, I think Lily has a big opportunity to do some great things. I'm also not going to lie, I'm interested to see how the KSLP responds to what she may or may not do in the future.

With that said, I think she had some great answers to the questions she was asked by Reason. She seems to be fairly pragmatic in her approach and while I can respect that, I can also acknowledge that there is a segment of the libertarian population that will be vocal in their opposition to some of it.

I hope she has great success and helps propel Wichita forward.
                            I am fed up with the matrix government structure. The Libertarians say they will hold her to their views. People aren’t robots. Let her lead with her thoughts, not some bureaucratic system that wants to put square pegs in round holes. Let her lead and evaluate her by her decisions and actions.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

The Libertarians say they will hold her to their views.
                              The problem with libertarians, there are no two libertarians with the same view.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

I am fed up with the matrix government structure. The Libertarians say they will hold her to their views. People aren’t robots. Let her lead with her thoughts, not some bureaucratic system that wants to put square pegs in round holes. Let her lead and evaluate her by her decisions and actions.
                                They're more focused on her keeping her word as for being for limited government. There are a lot of Republicans that say things like that and then expand government reach. She says she has libertarian values and that the ideals speak to her. They just hope she means that and doesn't end up sullying libertarians by becoming pro bigger government.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X