Local Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    KSN - How much would Chiefs license plates cost in Kansas? Here's what to know

Sounds like there will be another new option for plates come 2025.
    Kansas is leaving SO MUCH money on the table either for themselves or for various non-profits that it is insane, with respect to specialty plates. I don't know if Kansas is dead last on special plate variety/volume and the additional fees they bring but they've got to be pretty close.
    Last edited by SHOCKvalue; February 1, 2024, 12:16 PM.

Comment

KAKE - Kansas lawmakers consider legalizing home delivery of alcohol

I would say that I don't understand why Kansas has such issues with these sorts of things, but this is Kansas and we really do have to over complicate anything and everything we can...
      The boobs, nincompoops and morons up in Topeka decided long ago that liquor stores, and only liquor stores, were somehow worthy of anti-competitive, anti-capitalist, protectionist regulations. Every decision that is made regarding alcohol availability and distribution in Kansas is done to protect liquor stores. It's truly bizarre.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

The boobs, nincompoops and morons up in Topeka decided long ago that liquor stores, and only liquor stores, were somehow worthy of anti-competitive, anti-capitalist, protectionist regulations. Every decision that is made regarding alcohol availability and distribution in Kansas is done to protect liquor stores. It's truly bizarre.
        How many politicians are invested in the alcohol business?

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Apparently the kickbacks are an epidemic since the writing of the 21st Amendment. One can only assume. The special kid glove treatment the liquor stores get have no equal in other segments of the Kansas economy.

The state is ran by useless RINOs, so you get what you vote for.

Comment

KAKE - Kansas lawmakers consider legalizing home delivery of alcohol

I would say that I don't understand why Kansas has such issues with these sorts of things, but this is Kansas and we really do have to over complicate anything and everything we can...
            Can I have a show of hands for everyone out there that wants to take a class AND then be held civilly if not criminally responsible for identifying (presumably) the age and current sobriety of the recipient of their Door Dash order?

And on a side note, as someone who doesn't really drink alcohol very often, how much of a degenerate drinker do you have to be to order something other than a bottled beer (which I assume you have on hand) like say, a scotch and soda, and have that watered down piece of **** delivered to you 45 minutes later for the bargain price of like 10 times what you could make it at home? Even a decent cocktail (and there are many) or margarita has a drinkable lifespan of MAYBE 30 minutes and that is pushing it. IF you live close and it's say 15 minutes from cocktail pour to your doorstep, and you pass the breathalyzer, you basically have to shotgun said drink to enjoy it as a B drink.

Look, I get the food delivery thing....I'm the laziest person in the world. But the few times I've done it I have ALWAYS been disappointed. I've never once been pleasantly surprised. And the fees are as bad or worse than Ticketmaster. I get the restaurants are suffering. Most places make a huge chunk of their profit on beverages and the absence of in store guests has killed them. Plus the delivery services are taking a piece of the restaurant's sale, before the markup to you (and fees) I just can't see that many people ordering them, and the ones that do would seem to be increasingly problematic, one way or the other.

And I cannot see ANY delivery person with a functional brain signing on for that liability.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Michael O'Donnell.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Michael O'Donnell.
                = Weasel!

An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Virtually every state has odd alcohol laws. Liquor stores are state-owned in Virginia and Pennsylvania. There are some states that only allow warm beer sales etc.

And having strong beer in Kansas convenience and grocery stores was certainly a positive movement. And the "deal" allowed liquor stores to sell things besides alcohol, as I am sure some of you have noticed.

And Doc, it no one signs up to be delivery folks, then that is the marketplace working. I think it is probably more likely that packaged liquor/beer get delivered. I am sure that many will sign-on.

A funny COVID story. I was quarantined at home and started using Hy-Vee delivery (which I still do). So I get a text asking if I wanted to add anything, and said, sure, add a 12-pack of Coors Light. And it was delivered.

Comment

• One other thing ss that I don't think there is any liability in Kansas. The KS Supt Court has ruled several times that unless the Legislature specifically creates this liability, it doesn't exist. It is called the Dram Shop law.

I did some research on the many moons ago for the Wichita River Festival when they first started their beer gardens.

Sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s, two or three underage teens in Overland Park went on a bit of a drinking spree, with their last place being a bar at a bowling alley. There was testimony that their IDs were never checked, and they were clearly already inebriated when being served.

One of the teens decided to walk home and never made it. He was found frozen to death on the edge of a creek. No liability.

Of course, Courts do overturn precedent.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Car dealerships are in a similar class, aren't they?
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                        Virtually every state has odd alcohol laws. Liquor stores are state-owned in Virginia and Pennsylvania. There are some states that only allow warm beer sales etc.

And having strong beer in Kansas convenience and grocery stores was certainly a positive movement. And the "deal" allowed liquor stores to sell things besides alcohol, as I am sure some of you have noticed.

And Doc, it no one signs up to be delivery folks, then that is the marketplace working. I think it is probably more likely that packaged liquor/beer get delivered. I am sure that many will sign-on.

A funny COVID story. I was quarantined at home and started using Hy-Vee delivery (which I still do). So I get a text asking if I wanted to add anything, and said, sure, add a 12-pack of Coors Light. And it was delivered.
                        I'd rather alcoholics stay home and order delivery than be on the streets, so maybe this helps?
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

That is the case in every US State. Elon Musk ran into that issue with Tesla

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Are you talking about new car franchises and the weight they pull blocking direct-to-consumer sales? Kind of a different animal.

Comment

• MSN - Kansas liquor law changes could let retailers sell wine

New legislation under discussion by state lawmakers could make wine more readily available in Kansas.

On Thursday, Feb. 1, Democrat Rep. Dan Osman introduced a new bill to the Committee on Federal and State Affairs, which could make sweeping changes to Kansas’ liquor laws. The legislation, House Bill 2677, authorizes the sale of wine by cereal malt beverage (CMB) retailer licensees in the Sunflower State.

If passed in its current state, the bill would alter or insert language in existing state liquor laws allowing for the sale of wine containing not more than 16% alcohol by volume. Under current state law, a CMB license holder may sell or offer for sale any CMB and beer containing not more than 6% alcohol by volume, according to the Kansas Department of Revenue’s website.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• This seemed inevitable.

KSHB - Marion Record reporter sues Gideon Cody, city and county employees for nearly $1 mill following newsroom raid

A Marion County Record reporter has filed a lawsuit against Gideon Cody and several city and county employees following the August raid on the newspaper.

Phyllis Zorn is seeking a minimum of $950,000 in punitive damages.

Zorn would not comment on the case but directed the KSHB I-Team to her attorney in Wichita, Randall Rathburn.

Rathburn told the I-Team he's suing for nearly $1 million dollars, "so they don't do this again."

Rathburn continued, "This, to me, was just so outrageous. We just can't have people doing this."

The lawsuit was also filed against Marion Mayor David Mayfield.

When asked why Mayfield is part of the lawsuit, Rathburn said Mayfield was a co-conspirator in the raid on the newspaper.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X