Local Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

They're more focused on her keeping her word as for being for limited government. There are a lot of Republicans that say things like that and then expand government reach. She says she has libertarian values and that the ideals speak to her. They just hope she means that and doesn't end up sullying libertarians by becoming pro bigger government.
    That makes sense…thanks.

Comment

• WBJ - City looks for Council OK to put downtown parking plan in drive

The Council will be asked to approve updates to ordinances and traffic codes that include allowing the city to collect parking revenue in new ways, namely credit cards and smartphone app technology. The Council approved the plan itself during a March meeting.

The rollout focuses on the downtown, Old Town and Delano areas — Washington Street to the east, Seneca to the west, Central to the north and Kellogg to the south.
      Parking fees, Anderson said, will go up. Metered spaces that have been 25 cents an hour may rise to 75 cents to $2 an hour. He said those are more in line with market rates in peer cities such as Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Kansas City.

Minimum fines for parking violations would increase from $10 to $35 for meter violations and $35 to $50 for other violations.

An agenda report estimates $2.7 million in revenue will be generated in 2025.

The numbers that detail Wichita's downtown parking show an abundance of spaces — about 6,000 public spots through lots, garages or meters — though not always as close to destinations as some residents would like.

About 60% of downtown real estate, Anderson said, is occupied by parking. And while a strong occupancy rate for parking spaces is 85%, Wichita lags at less than 40%.

"What that tells us is we have an abundance of parking that's not being utilized well," Anderson said.
      I'm rarely downtown and I've never paid for parking at any event down there. I'm not sure if this will change anything or not in that regard for me, but I will always look for free parking even if it requires a few extra blocks.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Today is the first day of the Lily Wu era as mayor of Wichita.

She talked a good game. I know a lot depends on what the council allows, but it will be interesting to follow how things proceed moving forward.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another tax battle is brewing in Topeka. I'll have to find time to look into more details on how it would all play, but surface level sounds relatively nice.

I'm also not opposed to a single tax rate.

Sometimes I wish I paid more attention to what's going on in Topeka and what's going on with all of this and where both sides are being whiny bitches that prevent good things from happening.

KAKE - Kansans would see lower property, income and sales taxes under the governor's new plan

Kelly’s plan released Monday includes eliminating the food sales tax by April instead of next year, getting rid of taxes on Social Security income and increasing the residential exemption on state property taxes from $42,000 to $100,000.

“That (property tax measure) provides another $100 million in tax relief for Kansas homeowners this year,” she said. “A significant number of Kansans will see all or almost all of their entire state property tax bill eliminated.”

That would impact the 20 mill levy applied by the state. The rest of a homeowner’s property taxes are levied by local governments.

While Kelly’s plan has support from a handful of Republican lawmakers – including Sens. John Doll and Rob Olson – GOP leaders are expected to again pursue a single-rate income tax system. The powerful advocacy group the Kansas Chamber has released a proposal that would create a single income tax rate of 5% for annual income over $15,000.

In a written statement, Republican Kansas House Speaker Dan Hawkins, from Wichita, said a simpler, single-rate tax system would keep the Kansas economy competitive with surrounding states.
          Other provisions in Kelly’s proposal include increasing the standard deduction on state income taxes, eliminating sales taxes on diapers and menstrual hygiene products and a back-to-school sales tax holiday.

Kelly’s full tax plan can be found here.
          The full plan appears to be 99 pages when I clicked on it. Definitely don't have time to go through all of that right now.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KWCH - Kansas approves new political party 'No Labels Kansas'

Kansans will have another option on the November ballot this year. The Kansas Secretary of State Scott Schwab announced on Wednesday that a new political party had been approved - the No Labels Kansas party.

Schwab said the new political party met the statutory requirements to become officially recognized by the state. The party was required to submit a petition containing the signatures of registered voters equal to 2 percent of the total votes cast in the 2022 statewide gubernatorial general election. The signatures were validated by county election officials and reported to the secretary of state’s office.

The last political party to be recognized in Kansas was Americans Elect in 2012. The party lost official recognition in 2013 when it failed to nominate any candidates for the 2012 election, according to the secretary of state’s office.

No Labels Kansas joins the Libertarian Party, recognized in 1992, as a minor political party in the state.
            I've seen the name mentioned in the past. I believe they were more or less wanting to pair a conservative leaning candidate with a liberal leaning one to put on the presidential ticket. I'm not entirely sure if that's accurate but that is what I seem to recall off the top of my head. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KMUW - Sedgwick County announces additional polling places

Here are the new locations:

Wichita Public Library-Alford Branch, 3447 S. Meridian
              • USD 259 Alvin E. Morris Administrative Center, 903 S. Edgemoor
              • Ascension Lutheran Church, 12885 W. Maple
              • Atwater Neighborhood Resource Center (replaces Koch Arena), 2755 E. 19th Street North
              • Derby Public Library, 1600 Walnut Grove
              • East Point Church of Christ, 747 N. 127th Street East
              • Wichita Public Library-Evergreen Branch (replaces Trinity Christian Center), 2601 N. Arkansas
              • Greater St. Mary’s Baptist Church (replaces Brewer Community Center), 1648 E. 17th Street North
              • Journey Church, 9999 E. Harry
              • J.P. Weigand & Sons, 4050 N. Ridge
              • Maize City Hall (replaces Maize Recreation Commission), 10100 W. Grady
              • Maize Performing Arts & Aquatics Center, 1055 W. Academy
              • Plum Shelter at Sedgwick County Park, 6501 W. 21st
              • Seasons Venue at OJ Watson Park, McLean and 27th Street South
              • Wichita South High School, 701 W. 33rd Street South
              • St. Anne Catholic Church, 2801 S. Seneca
              • Valley Center High School, 9600 N. Meridian
              • Wichita West High School, 820 S. Osage
              • Wichita United Methodist Church, 5200 E. 31st Street South
              • Woodland United Methodist Church, 1100 W. 15th Street North
              • Hughes Metropolitan Complex (replaces WSU Marcus Welcome Center), 5015 E. 29th Street North
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Not sure what's "new" about the HMC at the bottom. I voted there for nearly 2 decades and there were long lines often times on general election days. Merging that with an on campus voting site seems slightly off, but what do I know.

Comment

• Following up on the expected rescheduling out of DC, Kansas activists move forward for pushing for medical.

MSN - Advocates continue to seek path to medical marijuana legalization in Kansas

Advocates for medical marijuana want to see progress this legislative session as Kansas remains among a handful of states without laws on medical marijuana or decriminalization.

A bill introduced last year didn’t move out of committee but remains in play this legislative session. The last major action the state took was in 2021 when the Kansas House passed a bill legalizing medical marijuana, but that bill died at the end of that session.

Part of the push for supporters is the federal government is considering rescheduling marijuana in general from Schedule One.

Cheryl Kumberg, president of the Kansas Cannabis Coalition, also said the FDA reports there is medicinal value, so she is working to educate lawmakers on these changes.

She said it can no longer serve as the basis for not passing out this legislation.

On Tuesday, several Kansas groups and organizations in support of medical marijuana and decriminalization held a day of action.

Kumberg said there are people in Kansas who use medical marijuana in secret for treatment.

“Allow these people to use or not use it. Just because we have a bill doesn’t mean that we have to use it. It’s time to get with the 21st century, and let’s let patients heal, let’s give them options, and decriminalize,” Kumberg said.
                  I don't expect anything to happen in Topeka regarding this during this session, but it will happen eventually. If it does get rescheduled to Class 3, it will also be interesting to see how some of the arguments will change.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Cheryl Kumberg is stoned, to no one's surprise. There is no healing from weed. None.

Comment

WBJ - City looks for Council OK to put downtown parking plan in drive

I'm rarely downtown and I've never paid for parking at any event down there. I'm not sure if this will change anything or not in that regard for me, but I will always look for free parking even if it requires a few extra blocks.
                      I will never pay $2 an hour to park downtown. This is ridiculous.

Comment

Following up on the expected rescheduling out of DC, Kansas activists move forward for pushing for medical.

MSN - Advocates continue to seek path to medical marijuana legalization in Kansas

I don't expect anything to happen in Topeka regarding this during this session, but it will happen eventually. If it does get rescheduled to Class 3, it will also be interesting to see how some of the arguments will change.
                        Doc is correct. Advocates dishonestly say it's a "Healing" agent. There has never been any proof that marijuana has any healing properties.

It can be used successfully for medical treatments such as pain, inflammation, etc. but it doesn't heal. There are both positive aspects to using it as a treatment, and negative effects that happen when it is misused. In my opinion, the Science details the danger to young people under 25 (brains still developing), babies in the womb from mother's who are addicted that often causes emotional and physical health problems that last the remainder of their lives.

Here are scientific facts, both good and bad.

What It Can Treat

Over 200 separate indications or uses for medical cannabis have been identified. These can be broken down into the following broad categories:2
                        • Anti-nauseant and appetite stimulant
                        • Anti-spasmodic and anti-convulsant
                        • Analgesic (pain reliever)
                        • Anti-inflammatory and immune system modulator
                        • Anxiolytic (anxiety reliever) and antidepressant for mood disorders
                        • Harm reduction substitute for alcohol, opiates, and other dangerous drugs

Although it is important to note that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved marijuana for any medical indication, medical marijuana is still sometimes prescribed for certain conditions including, but not limited to:2Harmful Effects

Several potentially harmful effects of medical marijuana have been identified.

These include cardiovascular issues associated with marijuana use such as heartbeat and blood pressure implications.3

Goyal H, Awad HH, Ghali JK. Role of cannabis in cardiovascular disorders. J Thorac Dis. 2017;9(7):2079-2092. doi:10.21037/jtd.2017.06.104

Additionally, cannabis use may result in an increased risk of injury in older adults, as well as a higher risk of developing severe mental illness, especially with frequent use.2

Those with existing heart problems may be especially affected by the increase in heart rate (tachycardia) caused by marijuana intoxication, but even those without a preexisting condition should only use marijuana after discussing the risks and benefits with their prescribing physician.3

Marijuana occasionally causes faintness when users stand up abruptly, a condition known as postural hypotension. This poses a risk of passing out, falling, and possibly suffering a potentially fatal injury. The effects of marijuana on blood pressure are unpredictable, so any concerns should be discussed with your prescribing physician.3
                        Pregnancy

There is no known safe level of cannabis exposure during pregnancy and lactation.

Research on the effects of prenatal exposure to marijuana on children at various stages of development shows a potential increased risk of low birthweight.4 Other studies indicate possible serious neurological effects on the developing child.5

However, these studies, as well as those reflecting the consequences of prenatal marijuana exposure at later stages of development, may be confounded or confused by the fact that women who use marijuana during pregnancy are more likely to engage in other behaviors that put a baby at risk, such as tobacco smoking or using other recreational drugs.4

Overall, doctors have expressed concern about the safety of marijuana during pregnancy. Marijuana is fat-soluble, and it easily crosses the placenta and blood-brain barrier. Therefore, if a mother uses marijuana, it can accumulate in the tissues and brain of her baby. It has the potential to disrupt motor control, memory, and other brain functions.6

There is a significantly increased risk for anencephaly—a serious birth defect in which a baby is born without parts of the brain and skull—when the fetus is exposed to marijuana during the first month of gestation (one to four weeks after conception).6

There is also some evidence that marijuana use during pregnancy can impair structural brain development in the fetus, as well as affect the neurotransmitters that play a role in cognitive and emotional functioning.4
                        Developmental Issues

Numerous studies have documented neurodevelopmental deficits in older children, adolescents, and young adults who were prenatally exposed to marijuana. These studies are consistent with the effects of cannabis on the developing fetal central nervous system.7

Children who had been prenatally exposed to marijuana and were followed up over time were found to have a consistent pattern of deficits in cognitive functioning. At 6 years of age, prenatal marijuana exposure was linked to lower verbal reasoning scores and deficits in composite, short-term memory, and quantitative intelligence scores. By the time they were 10 years of age, negative effects of prenatal marijuana exposure had a significant impact on design memory and assessments of learning and memory, and the exposed children had lower test scores on school achievement.8

They were also more likely to have increased hyperactivity, impulsivity, and inattention problems as well as significantly increased rates of child depressive symptoms.8 These symptoms significantly predicted delinquency at 14 years and a significantly increased rate of difficulties with executive functioning, which is central to learning and managing behavior.9 Young adults who had been prenatally exposed to marijuana have been found to have altered neural functioning that impacted short-term memory.10

As stated above, these research findings are complicated by the tendency of children of mothers who use marijuana during pregnancy to have been exposed to other substances, stressors, and other problems. However, until more conclusive research is available, marijuana is best avoided during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
                        Adverse Reactions

Several adverse reactions to marijuana have been reported, including racing heartbeat, faintness, twitches, numbness, and headaches. Lower frequency of use may increase the frequency of adverse reactions.11

Although rare, true allergies to marijuana can occur and range from rashes and itchiness to full flown anaphylaxis.12

If you experience any symptoms that you think may be allergy related, discontinue use and discuss with your prescribing physician.
                        What Is Marinol?

Marinol is a form of medical marijuana. It is a synthetic version of the delta-9-THC compound, which occurs naturally in the cannabis plant.

Marinol is prescribed as an appetite stimulant for people who have severe symptoms of appetite loss, nausea and vomiting, caused by conditions such as AIDS and cancer, as well as related treatment.13

Medical marijuana is controversial because recreational marijuana has been a controlled drug for many years.14 For this reason, Marinol is only prescribed to people who have severe conditions and who have not responded adequately to other treatments for their symptoms.13
                        Marinol Effects and Side Effects

People who take Marinol may experience some of the pleasurable effects of regular recreational marijuana, including elation and euphoria.13

Marinol can have some unpleasant side effects, including paranoia and hallucinations, upset stomach, and drowsiness.13
                        Is Medical Marijuana Just Another Way to Abuse Drugs?

The terms "drug abuse" and "substance abuse" are inherently judgmental and imply blame of the person using the substances rather than the substances themselves. Therefore, the use of these terms is falling out of favor with professionals.

However, the question of whether the current medical marijuana system is being used as intended does raise some interesting findings.

Research reported in 2017 indicates that marijuana users who are not medical marijuana patients report using marijuana diverted from dispensaries. Such marijuana users are more likely to use prescription drugs not prescribed to them than those who are prescribed marijuana.15

This indicates that recreational users are turning to illicit, diverted, prescribed sources of substances, rather than traditional street drugs, adding medical marijuana to the list of prescribed drugs being diverted for recreational use.

However, those who are prescribed marijuana may be benefiting greatly from access to medical marijuana. The same research showed that compared to users who are not medical marijuana patients, young adult medical marijuana patients use more marijuana, and vaporize concentrates of marijuana, such as oil, dab, and wax, more commonly.15

On the flip side, many marijuana users who do not access the drug through medical sources report self-medicating untreated symptoms with marijuana and other drugs illegally.15

And another study of healthcare providers in the state of Washington, where marijuana is legal for both medical and recreational use, shows that many of them are uncomfortable recommending medical marijuana.16

So while the medical marijuana system does appear to be providing benefit to some, there are issues in terms of not reaching those who would benefit and potentially increasing access to medical marijuana for non-medical purposes.16

Comment

• You have a hard time finding a REAL doctor that will prescribe weed. Most are doctors whose primary focus is prescribing weed.

All the things listed as "treating with medical marijuana" are wrong (not saying you are wrong Shockm ).

For instance, even if you concede that weed takes pressure off the eye and helps with glaucoma (and that's debatable) the ONLY effectiveness would come from smoking weed ALL THE TIME, including when you are asleep (not possible). The effectiveness wears off almost as soon as you stop smoking it. We have had effective medication for glaucoma for years and it keeps getting better. Prostaglandin analogs effectively treat it with little to no side effects. People that argue to treat glaucoma (or anything else) with weed just want to get high. They aren't interested in fixing what's wrong. If they were, they would take something that actually works.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            You have a hard time finding a REAL doctor that will prescribe weed. Most are doctors whose primary focus is prescribing weed.

All the things listed as "treating with medical marijuana" are wrong (not saying you are wrong Shockm ).

For instance, even if you concede that weed takes pressure off the eye and helps with glaucoma (and that's debatable) the ONLY effectiveness would come from smoking weed ALL THE TIME, including when you are asleep (not possible). The effectiveness wears off almost as soon as you stop smoking it. We have had effective medication for glaucoma for years and it keeps getting better. Prostaglandin analogs effectively treat it with little to no side effects. People that argue to treat glaucoma (or anything else) with weed just want to get high. They aren't interested in fixing what's wrong. If they were, they would take something that actually works.
                            Here’s an interesting related case in a state where they have medical marijuana. A woman who stabbed her boyfriend over 100 times, murdering him, received only 100 hours of community service because the court determined that she had a case of cannabis induced psychosis. The potency of modern marijuana evidently caused this emotional induced episode, and she wasn’t actually responsible or was excused serving time or even probation from causing the murder.

https://www.the-independent.com/news...-b2484703.html

Comment

• KAKE - Kansas lawmakers consider legalizing home delivery of alcohol

As proposed, the bill would require delivery drivers to take a special safety course and prove they're over the age of 21 to the company before they could bring you your alcoholic drink. The company would also have to pay an annual licensing fee of $1,500 to the State of Kansas.

This is the second try to get lawmakers to approve what are called third party deliveries. Wednesday the proposal came with some amendments to the original bill, trying to add more security protections to it.

Among the changes would be a requirement to make the delivery driver take a training course to qualify to make deliveries and make them responsible for making sure the person who ordered the alcohol isn't already drunk at the time of the delivery.

Supporters argued their methods are proven safe, after all, 44 other states have already legalized these kinds of alcohol deliveries.

"Since Covid, the third party delivery has increased, the online sales (have) increased and we anticipate that it will continue to increase. Right now we can only do food out of our restaurants. We hope after this sees some success that we'll be able to present our customers with everything they would like to offer and they can currently order both curbside and in our stores," said Scott Schneider with the Kansas Restaurant and Hospitality Association.

They added home deliveries of alcohol would put more money in the pockets of everyone involved in the delivery. DoorDash alone quoted a 30% increase in pay for its drivers and a 50% increase in business for restaurants.
                              I would say that I don't understand why Kansas has such issues with these sorts of things, but this is Kansas and we really do have to over complicate anything and everything we can...
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - How much would Chiefs license plates cost in Kansas? Here's what to know

Fresh off an AFC Championship win, the Kansas City Chiefs could see another win this year at the Kansas Statehouse. Kansas lawmakers are taking up a bill that would make Chiefs license plates a reality for Kansas drivers.

Lawmakers held a hearing in the Senate Transportation Committee on Wednesday.

“It’s a dream come true for a lot of Kansas City Chiefs fans!” Senator Kellie Warren, R-Leawood, said. “They have the license plate holder that says ‘Kansas City Chiefs’ around their Kansas license plate, but now, if they choose to, if this bill becomes law, they can have an actual distinctive Kansas City Chiefs license plate here in Kansas.”
                                It costs $40 for a special plate application fee, according to the fiscal note. Drivers would have to pay an extra $40 to personalize the plates.

Money from the license plate purchases would go back to the Hunt Family Foundation, a non-profit run by the owner of the Chiefs.

“55% of that goes to communities in and near the Chiefs to support children’s health and wellness, to support family health and wellness, to support civic community involvement, and also a portion of it is to preserve the legacy of the Kansas City Chiefs in the NFL,” Warren said.
                                Sounds like there will be another new option for plates come 2025.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X