2022 Mid-Term Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post

I don't disagree that all of these economic stimuli can lead to inflation. But you are a little off on when they were passed. Yes the first one was passed under Trump, but the second one was too -it was passed in December 2020 by a lame Congress and signed by a lame duck President (Trump). The third stimulus was passed under Biden but was passed in March of 2021, not 2022. I do believe that all 3 of these had some affect on inflation. The fourth one- the so called Inflation Reduction Act- has not really sent any money out yet so it has yet to affect inflation, but I am sure some of its provisions will lead to more inflation too.

As far as my friend losing money, he is still way out ahead. His income more than doubled. Paying about 10% more for everything still leaves him with almost twice as much buying power as he had before. I received a 15% pay raise last year and another 15% increase this year. I didn't get near the raise he did, and I hate the inflation, but I feel like am still a little bit ahead. But I do believe that a lot of people are being hurt badly by the inflation (those that aren't getting big pay raises) and if it keeps up in the long run it will ruin the economy.
    As to your points:
    1. All of the stimulus programs to families and businesses were a bad idea imo. They definitely brought our inflation up from just over 1% inflation to over 8% inflation, and they permitted billions of dollars of fraud (some thieves they've caught, but most they haven't) which will never be recovered.
    2. I'm happy for you and your friend, but your good fortune hasn't been the "rule" for most Americans. The average is a 5% raise in salaries and with 8.3% inflation, they've still lost money, and that was a part of Joe Biden's plan from the beginning to give people stimulus monies in a variety of ways, and keep the work force lean, forcing wage increases (it also was inflationary). Many of those people still haven't gone back to work.
    3. Joe Biden is still handing out stimulus money and welfare payments with no (or little) strings attached. That's inflationary

I remember the 1970's inflation, the high cost of energy, and long gas lines, etc. although I was young(much of it caused by the Great Society welfare programs of Lyndon Johnson and continued by Nixon), and Feds raising interest rates to 20% in 1980, to get it under control. The economic problems that started in the 60's and 70's continued until the end of the 1980's/early 90's. The current Federal Reserve under Biden and Janet Yellin (Treasury) caused the inflationary trends by raising spending, printing money to pay for the costs of the stimulus monies, and then said inflation was only transitory at the time. We now know they were wrong then, although many suspected it then already. We will see how high the current Federal Reserve (under Powell) has to raise interest rates to get it under control, but while he talks a good talk, I'm not sure he has come to grips with what will need to be done. You don't want to see the interest rates approach 20% during your lifetime, but they may not have a choice, and the ruined economy may cost you your job (and 15% increase this year). This could be a long painful road to recovery and many middle and lower income people may be paying for it.

Comment

• So there maybe a Republican rebound happening.

RCP has the Senate going to the Republican 52 to 48, with the two pickups GA and NV. GA seems suspect, as the polling doesn't support as of yet. On 538, Republicans have went from 29% to 33% (odd taking back senate). 538 still has it 51 to 49 for Democrats.

Republicans in house is steady with solid majority, but on generic ballot Republicans have rebounded.

Comment

• Arizona Governor's Race. A picture worth a 1.000 words.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          Does anybody but me think Kelly will get a second term?
          I see the percentage of Kelly Gov. Political ads that tout Brownback who resigned from office in 2018 or 2019, as still the reason for voting for Kelly in 2020. The National Democrats bring up Trump in 2022, to hide their own policy problems, about as much the Kansas Democrat’s bring up Brownback. Actually, Kobach is the reason Kelly won in 2019 or 2020, not Brownback.

If Kelly is successful in tying in Brownback, the Democrats might see some amount of success this year by tying in Trump to the mid-terms.

Comment

• So in Georgia, the two competing for the US Senate are a wifebeater and a football player. In Pennsylvania, we have a Turkish TV personality and a stroke victim that lived with his parents with no job til he was 50. That's it? That's the best and brightest America has to offer?

Comment

• Brawndo's got the stuff plants crave.

Comment

• No one wants to be a politician. Which is why we need to stop letting them have so much control. It just attracts degenerates and corruption.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I will vote to give full totalian power to whatever polician brings Pizza Hut buffets back. Must include those dessert sticks though.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Those are still a thing.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Tulsi Gabbard Announces She is Leaving the Democrat Party

I think the Democrat Party has left her quite some time ago.

Comment

• If a few more moderates in each party were to bolt, but not necessarily for the other side, it could be the basis for a new, viable centrist party.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                          If a few more moderates in each party were to bolt, but not necessarily for the other side, it could be the basis for a new, viable centrist party.
                          Agreed. I think alot of people align with her political ideology and beliefs. She would be a good president.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            If a few more moderates in each party were to bolt, but not necessarily for the other side, it could be the basis for a new, viable centrist party.
                            That would be great. Still a ways to go. If they could win a few house seats in a fairly evenly divided congress where they had enough to sway votes one way or another that would be huge. I think the biggest hinderance is people not wanting to feel like their vote gets wasted by voting 3rd party. That's kind of where I am. I don't want a Dem to win because I vote 3rd party. And I think more GOPers would be more likely to vote 3rd party. So, it would favor Dems, who I think are more harmful to GOP.

I would prefer knocking Dems out and them try and get a 3rd party going while GOP is in power.
                            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• The short version of Tulsi's announcement is the Twitter post above.

Here is the full 30 minute video of the Tulsi Gabbard show where she talks about her decision in more depth:

Would a DeSantis - Gabbard ticket for in 2024 be workable? Or do you need a ticket that is more in lockstep with each other?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                The short version of Tulsi's announcement is the Twitter post above.

Here is the full 30 minute video of the Tulsi Gabbard show where she talks about her decision in more depth:

Would a DeSantis - Gabbard ticket for in 2024 be workable? Or do you need a ticket that is more in lockstep with each other?
                                Definitely workable. Would likely get a TON of support.

Comment

Working...
                                X