2022 Mid-Term Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post

I will make 3 points. First in general a number of people like a President who is somewhat boring and not being so abrasive. They like the change from Trump.

2. And more important, I think. When I talk to my liberal friends and talk about how high inflation is, they say things like gas prices and inflation are actually lower in the USA than in most of the developed world. So they give credit to Biden for in their minds keeping gas prices and inflation lower than it could be. They also talk about how wages are up and unemployment is down.

3. Again some of my liberal friends like some of the things that that Biden has done like the $10,000 student loan forgiveness and getting a big infrastructure bill passed.

So I can see his approval ratings in the 40s. We have a very divided country.
    How about you? Do you think inflation and the economy are bad? Can you list some things Biden did horribly wrong?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post

I will make 3 points. First in general a number of people like a President who is somewhat boring and not being so abrasive. They like the change from Trump.

2. And more important, I think. When I talk to my liberal friends and talk about how high inflation is, they say things like gas prices and inflation are actually lower in the USA than in most of the developed world. So they give credit to Biden for in their minds keeping gas prices and inflation lower than it could be. They also talk about how wages are up and unemployment is down.

3. Again some of my liberal friends like some of the things that that Biden has done like the $10,000 student loan forgiveness and getting a big infrastructure bill passed.

So I can see his approval ratings in the 40s. We have a very divided country.
      I understand this. There are 2 liberals. Those that can afford to be because they never have to feel the pain of their ideology because they have wealth. And those who think the government should provide them their necessities and have no self motivation to be better.

And I don't think either group believes that the world is a better place when America is strong.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

House GOP Makes Final Midterm Pitch With 'Commitment to America' Agenda

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spence...genda-n2613291

Reportedly the official announcement of the Commitment to America will come tomorrow (Friday, September 23rd).

According to the article her are he main points of this plan:

Maximize production of reliable, American-made energy.
        Move supply chains away from China and expand U.S. manufacturing.
        Curb wasteful government spending that is raising the price of groceries, gas, cars, and housing and work to increase take-home pay, create good-paying jobs, and bring stability to the economy through pro-growth tax and regulatory policies.
        Fully fund effective border enforcement strategies, infrastructure, and advanced technology to prevent illegal crossings and trafficking by cartels.
        Support for "200,000 more police officers through recruiting bonuses while opposing all efforts to defund the police.
        Form a Select Committee on China and exercise peace though strength with our allies to counter increasing global threats.
        Pledge to advance the Parents' Bill of Rights.
        Pledge to defend fairness by ensuring that only women can compete in women's sports.
        Uphold free speech, protect the lives of unborn children and their mothers, guarantee religious freedom, and safeguard the Second Amendment.
        Conduct rigorous oversight to rein in government abuse of power and corruption, provide real transparency, and require the White House to answer for its incompetence at home and abroad.
        Increase accountability in the election process through voter ID, accurate voter rolls, and observer access.

Talk is cheap. The proof will be in what they can deliver and how hard they are willing to fight. However, as the article points out accomplishing many of these goals will be difficult if the GOP only controls the house.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 22, 2022, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          House GOP Makes Final Midterm Pitch With 'Commitment to America' Agenda

Reportedly the official announcement of the Commitment to America will come tomorrow (Friday, September 23rd).

Of course, talk is cheap. The proof will be in what they can deliver and how hard they are willing to fight.
          Hopefully Trump will sit this one out...
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I agree, but I doubt his ego would allow that. However, I think DeSantis would have a decent shot at defeating Trump in the primaries if he choses to run.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

We want to Trump to tease like he is going to run for as long as possible, and then "decide not to" at the last possible second. That BADLY distracts the Democrats and has them spending money fighting a boogey man.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

We want to Trump to tease like he is going to run for as long as possible, and then "decide not to" at the last possible second. That BADLY distracts the Democrats and has them spending money fighting a boogey man.
                Actually, the Democrats seem to turning their focus on DeSantis calling him much worse than Trump. In a NY Democrat Times opinion piece they wrote that DeSantis is "also meaner and more rigid, without the soft edges and eccentricity of the actual Donald Trump".

I think the Deomcrats fear DeSantis more than Trump. Look for the Democrats to provide significant fund for Trump in the 2024 Republican primaries just as they fund the primary efforts of many MAGA republican candidates in the recently concluded 2022 mid-term primaries.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Actually, the Democrats seem to turning their focus on DeSantis calling him much worse than Trump. In a NY Democrat Times opinion piece they wrote that DeSantis is "also meaner and more rigid, without the soft edges and eccentricity of the actual Donald Trump".

I think the Deomcrats fear DeSantis more than Trump. Look for the Democrats to provide significant fund for Trump in the 2024 Republican primaries just as they fund the primary efforts of many MAGA republican candidates in the recently concluded 2022 mid-term primaries.
                  They think Trump is toast. If he threatens to run, the gears will change faster than fast. It's so obvious. Pour a crap ton of money tearing down whoever your greatest threat du jour is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

How about you? Do you think inflation and the economy are bad? Can you list some things Biden did horribly wrong?
                    I think the US inflation is Bad. I do think the economy is somewhat mixed right now, with plenty of jobs available and higher wages. But if inflation continues it will completely kill the economy. The fact that inflation is even worse in places like Europe really doesn't make me feel better. I think Biden is spending way too much. But actually every President and both parties in Congress have been making the same mistake for years. They all spend too much, they just spend on different things. We haven't had a fiscally responsible Congress since the Newt Gingrich/ Bill Clinton days. I think Biden is lucky he has people like Joe Manchin in Congress or the spending would be even worse. It is scary to think about what an unchecked Bernie Sanders or AOC would be like.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post

I think the US inflation is Bad. I do think the economy is somewhat mixed right now, with plenty of jobs available and higher wages. But if inflation continues it will completely kill the economy. The fact that inflation is even worse in places like Europe really doesn't make me feel better. I think Biden is spending way too much. But actually every President and both parties in Congress have been making the same mistake for years. They all spend too much, they just spend on different things. We haven't had a fiscally responsible Congress since the Newt Gingrich/ Bill Clinton days. I think Biden is lucky he has people like Joe Manchin in Congress or the spending would be even worse. It is scary to think about what an unchecked Bernie Sanders or AOC would be like.
                      Wages are up, but they aren’t nearly keeping up with inflation. Once we get inflation under control, the jobs will dry up.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Wages are up, but they aren’t nearly keeping up with inflation. Once we get inflation under control, the jobs will dry up.
                        Overall I agree with you, but for some people the wage increases have been huge. I know a guy who went from making $9 an hour to $19 an hour.

Comment

The fact that inflation is even worse in places like Europe really doesn't make me feel better.
                          A decent chunk of Europe's inflation was caused by Biden. His failure to lead emboldened Putin to start the Ukraine/Russia conflict, and that has ultimately led to an energy crisis driving a large component of Europe's inflation (though Europe definitely takes the majority of the blame for sourcing so much of their energy supplies from the Russians in the first place).

So not only did his horrific energy policy begin a economic inflation crisis in the US, but his feckless leadership has also compounded an inflation crisis for an entire continent.

Comment

Overall I agree with you, but for some people the wage increases have been huge. I know a guy who went from making $9 an hour to $19 an hour.
                            When there is inflation which raises prices, and wages, and then wages continue to grow, which causes inflation, they call it stagflation. We are in Stagflation right now, and your friend is still losing money because of the inflation that is happening.

Stimulus Monies payed 2020-2022.
                            Here is a history of the Rounds of Stimulus money which has been payed out since 2020. This first round in 2020 (under Trump), was when everyone was home, and businesses had been closed. The second round of stimulus was in 2021 (under Biden), and the 3rd was just last March in 2021 (Biden again). Much of these stimulus' were put in the bank, because renters couldn't be moved out for not paying rent, and for people who quit their jobs, unemployment payments have been going out (they still are going out today in 2022) without any requirements to look for work for those payments. Also, prior to the the pandemic, welfare requirements, and food stamps had limitations (I think 2 years, but I'm not sure) and expectations for people to find work. I
                            https://support.taxslayer.com/hc/en-...imulus-Checks-

A significant number of Democrats in the House has urged that stimulus payments continue until 2025, but there were enough Democrats and Republicans who said NO to that so it hasn't happened yet. However, the Inflation Reduction Plan replaced that plan and Manchin took the bait. Not very much stimulus to families but a lot of Green New Deal stimulus.
                            https://www.hngn.com/articles/237830...ments-help.htm

Sum it up to say that lots of stimulus money has been paid out that was unnecessary, and all of these 4 Stimulus plans led by Democrats are contributing to Inflation
                            Last edited by Shockm; September 24, 2022, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Sure, and for some people they got a 3% raise.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

When there is inflation which raises prices, and wages, and then wages continue to grow, which causes inflation, they call it stagflation. We are in Stagflation right now, and your friend is still losing money because of the inflation that is happening.

Stimulus Monies payed 2020-2022.
                                Here is a history of the Rounds of Stimulus money which has been payed out since 2020. This first round in 2020 (under Trump), was when everyone was home, and businesses had been closed. The second round of stimulus was in 2021 (under Biden), and the 3rd was just last March in 2022 (Biden again). Much of these stimulus' were put in the bank, because renters couldn't be moved out for not paying rent, and for people who quit their jobs, unemployment payments have been going out (they still are going out today in 2022) without any requirements to look for work for those payments. Also, prior to the the pandemic, welfare requirements, and food stamps had limitations (I think 2 years, but I'm not sure) and expectations for people to find work. I
                                https://support.taxslayer.com/hc/en-...imulus-Checks-

A significant number of Democrats in the House has urged that stimulus payments continue until 2025, but there were enough Democrats and Republicans who said NO to that so it hasn't happened yet. However, the Inflation Reduction Plan replaced that plan and Manchin took the bait. Not very much stimulus to families but a lot of Green New Deal stimulus.
                                https://www.hngn.com/articles/237830...ments-help.htm

Sum it up to say that lots of stimulus money has been paid out that was unnecessary, and all of these 4 Stimulus plans led by Democrats are contributing to Inflation
                                I don't disagree that all of these economic stimuli can lead to inflation. But you are a little off on when they were passed. Yes the first one was passed under Trump, but the second one was too -it was passed in December 2020 by a lame Congress and signed by a lame duck President (Trump). The third stimulus was passed under Biden but was passed in March of 2021, not 2022. I do believe that all 3 of these had some affect on inflation. The fourth one- the so called Inflation Reduction Act- has not really sent any money out yet so it has yet to affect inflation, but I am sure some of its provisions will lead to more inflation too.

As far as my friend losing money, he is still way out ahead. His income more than doubled. Paying about 10% more for everything still leaves him with almost twice as much buying power as he had before. I received a 15% pay raise last year and another 15% increase this year. I didn't get near the raise he did, and I hate the inflation, but I feel like am still a little bit ahead. But I do believe that a lot of people are being hurt badly by the inflation (those that aren't getting big pay raises) and if it keeps up in the long run it will ruin the economy.

Comment

Working...
                                X