Russia-Ukraine War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    The retreating Russians around Kyiv are leaving a string of war crime atrocities. Images are coming out showing men, women, and children were tortured before they were executed. Horrific images.
    Not trying to equivocate the two sides, but it has also been reported by multiple sources that the Ukrainian troops were shooting the kneecaps off of Russian POWs. War is a horrible thing.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Not trying to equivocate the two sides,
      But you just did.

Russia is committing war crimes every day that are well documented and the ICC has started a probe against Russia for genocide and crimes against Humanity. Russians are not even pretending to follow international law - but that shouldn't surprise anybody as Russia has a long list of war crimes in Syria.

but it has also been reported by multiple sources that the Ukrainian troops were shooting the kneecaps off of Russian POWs. War is a horrible thing.
      And the Ukraine government said they would be investigating (Russia just dismisses and refuse to cooperate in their allegations). The incident with Ukrainians seems to have been very limited if the video is to be believed. There have been plenty of videos on the Ukraine side of POWs and they seem well treated. Of course, the video is being distributed by the Russians.

Here is the BBC investigation of the video.

Ukrainian authorities investigate a video apparently showing Russian PoWs being shot in the legs.

Comment

But you just did.

Russia is committing war crimes every day that are well documented and the ICC has started a probe against Russia for genocide and crimes against Humanity. Russians are not even pretending to follow international law - but that shouldn't surprise anybody as Russia has a long list of war crimes in Syria.

And the Ukraine government said they would be investigating (Russia just dismisses and refuse to cooperate in their allegations). The incident with Ukrainians seems to have been very limited if the video is to be believed. There have been plenty of videos on the Ukraine side of POWs and they seem well treated. Of course, the video is being distributed by the Russians.

Here is the BBC investigation of the video.

https://www.bbc.com/news/60907259
        No I didn’t. I pointed out that horrible things happen in war whether you are justified in that war or not.

Now maybe you think that video is false propaganda, or that if it is limited in scale, then it isn’t a big deal, but neither of those things negates the truth that horrible things happen in war.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• I think the bar for "atrocities" is a lot higher for the country being invaded. For example I have no problem with Ukrainian citizens poisoning invading Russian soldiers. None.

Comment

No I didn’t. I pointed out that horrible things happen in war whether you are justified in that war or not.
            Yes you did. You tried to say Russia action are just a part of the horror of ware and then implied that Ukraine action somehow justified it.

Comment

• Everybody who thinks Putin will eventually be tried for a war crime, put your hand in the air.

nobody?
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Everybody who thinks Putin will eventually be tried for a war crime, put your hand in the air.

nobody?

Comment

Yes you did. You tried to say Russia action are just a part of the horror of ware and then implied that Ukraine action somehow justified it.
                  If that’s what you got from my statement then I can’t help you.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                    I think the bar for "atrocities" is a lot higher for the country being invaded. For example I have no problem with Ukrainian citizens poisoning invading Russian soldiers. None.
                    Can civilians fighting foreign invaders on their home soil even be held accountable for war crimes?
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

If that’s what you got from my statement then I can’t help you.
                      I am not asking for help. You are either "equivocate" or you are just somebody who feels they have to weigh in on everything even if they really have nothing to add but "war is horrible" - no duh!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        Everybody who thinks Putin will eventually be tried for a war crime, put your hand in the air.

nobody?
                        It doesn't actually matter if he is or isn't. This is another way of ratcheting up pressure on Russia.

1. It makes it easier for European politicians to sell to their people "you are going to pay higher prices because we are reducing our energy dependence on Russia"

2 To say to those countries (e.g. India) trying to walk the fine line between Russia and the West - are you really going to side with "War Criminal"?

3. To the Russian Oligarchs - Putin going to bring you all down, and there will be no chance of normalization.

Comment

• Good point.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Hillary believes preventing Putin from attending the G-20 conference will be an effective sanction. Arresting Putin at the G-20 conference might be effective. however.

Comment

• Have any of you looked at the AP daily photographs from Ukraine, they are devastating. I don't think we should depend on government aid alone.

One today showed a 57 year old woman on her knees in the rubble, with a burned-out tank behind her, crying over the loss of her husband. A second of a 6 year old standing next to th crude grave of his mother in what looked like the yard to their home. She had died of starvation.
                                Last edited by atlwsu; April 5, 2022, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X