No announcement yet.

Russia-Ukraine War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These are from a new twitter account, so I have no idea of the authenticity. The first claims to be of a captured Russian tank battalion. The 2nd appears to be a Russian medic truck that was carrying explosives and munitions.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Where is “the line”? This was being discussed, painfully so, in my house today.

How many FAEs/Thermobaric bombs have to go off in civilian areas before the rest of the world says enough?
      I wonder if the world is ready for the likely assassination of Zelensky. The worldwide backlash could get quite interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

I wonder if the world is ready for the likely assassination of Zelensky. The worldwide backlash could get quite interesting.
        He's a celebrity/role model/hero at this point. If he gets popped it will be on like Donkey Kong. Of course it could also signal the collapse of the resistance.

Not breaking news, but my Ukrainian connection told me yesterday that he thinks Putin expected Ukraine to surrender quickly.

Comment

How many FAEs/Thermobaric bombs have to go off in civilian areas before the rest of the world says enough?
          That is a good question. Countries in Europe are concerned. Several countries beyond Ukraine have no applied for EU membership. Sweden and Finland may join NATO. It does seem that if Russia is not stopped in Ukraine this has the potential to grow in to a new European war.

Comment

No limit, unfortunately. Nukes are the ultimate trump card. Shy of a full fledged invasion of a NATO country or "Lusitania/Pearl Harbor" type moment we are not getting into a shooting war with Russia.
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• There is a possibility of a tipping point soon, in my opinion, that will cause the US, NATO and maybe others to engage in a more forceful way than delivering weapons and economic sanctions.

Kuwait wasn't a NATO country. And what were the reasons for NATO involvement in the Balkans when Yugoslavia blew apart in the 1990s?

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

No limit, unfortunately. Nukes are the ultimate trump card. Shy of a full fledged invasion of a NATO country or "Lusitania/Pearl Harbor" type moment we are not getting into a shooting war with Russia.
                We're in the beginnings of a proxy war with Russia right now a la Afghanistan. Once we satisfy the nuke-pene measuring prelims, the future direction of the conflict should be much more clear.

I still think this is just a Pootin' tantrum. He wants respect. He wants NATO to back away from his borders. Here's a thought: membership to NATO is open to everybody. Just don't act like a demented Communist fool.

What does it take to become a member of the alliance?
                1. New members must uphold democracy, including tolerating diversity.
                2. New members must be making progress toward a market economy.
                3. Their military forces must be under firm civilian control.
                4. They must be good neighbors and respect sovereignty outside their borders.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                  There is a possibility of a tipping point soon, in my opinion, that will cause the US, NATO and maybe others to engage in a more forceful way than delivering weapons and economic sanctions.

Kuwait wasn't a NATO country. And what were the reasons for NATO involvement in the Balkans when Yugoslavia blew apart in the 1990s?
                  Enormous wealth and VIP influence with the States. PLUS, we wanted an excuse to tangle with Saddam. What an unholy mistake that was. Well... liberating Kuwait wasn't a mistake, coming back to "finish the job" was.

Comment

• At some point the U.S. needs to have equipment in place to respond when the line is determined and crossed.

For instance, if Putin decides to enter one of the small Baltic states, how fast can we respond? Could NATO do it themselves in the short term? That is a definite line, and would be WW3.

I'm sure we are able to tell if Russia is getting ready to, like we did with Ukraine. We knew they were up to something. But carrier groups take time to assemple and get to theater. Maybe we are mobilizing and deploying and just not saying so (which is smart to a certain extent). I don't know why we wouldn't try to keep our movements somewhat secret. But shows of strength deter as well.

Are we ready to respond to China? We should be yesterday. Who knows.

Just think that determining lines means nothing unless you are able to repel any incursion you deem as crossing that line and we aren't at that point. But maybe we are.

The beauty of our navy is it can do a lot of damage from a distance, but they need to be in the Baltic and Black Sea and ready for business.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• There are around 100k American's stationed in Europe and I'm pretty sure we have some serious air power stationed there because of the Russian threat to NATO. There are also another 50k or so still in the Middle East that could be tapped into if necessary and we have the ability to transport personnel and equipment fairly quickly if that's what comes to be.

I also believe we have over 130k in Asia and the South Pacific regions that would be mobilized quickly if the US decided to take action against any Chinese moves.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I'm fairly confident that we aren't tipping our hand on purpose in regards to nuclear threats. I believe we have the capacity to destroy and render harmless, any intercontinental missile regardless of whether or not it leaves the atmosphere. This may have helped to fuel Trump's confidence in levying such threats at N. Korea. Hypersonic missiles though... I'm not sure. That would require laser defense, in the right place, at the right time. If they leave the atmosphere, I would think we can burn 'em down with satellites.

I believe we want the rest of the world to think that nukes are still the ticket to the big boy's table. Keep them occupied. Today's U.S. weapon's technology is so advanced I don't even think Hollywood can keep up.
                        Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; March 3, 2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          There are around 100k American's stationed in Europe and I'm pretty sure we have some serious air power stationed there because of the Russian threat to NATO. There are also another 50k or so still in the Middle East that could be tapped into if necessary and we have the ability to transport personnel and equipment fairly quickly if that's what comes to be.

I also believe we have over 130k in Asia and the South Pacific regions that would be mobilized quickly if the US decided to take action against any Chinese moves.
                          See how convenient it is to have these U.S. bases scattered all around the globe? This is why we "pay to defend" other countries. They are deterrents for many more reasons than just the protection of the country they reside in. Imagine if Russia had these bases scattered about? Well... they tried to establish such a network during the USSR era.

It's been Checkmate U.S. for decades now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

That is a good question. Countries in Europe are concerned. Several countries beyond Ukraine have no applied for EU membership. Sweden and Finland may join NATO. It does seem that if Russia is not stopped in Ukraine this has the potential to grow in to a new European war.
                            There is nobody on Shockernet even remotely as informed as you are on these topics. You've earned the street cred over the years. Keep the info and your thoughts coming in, they are appreciated.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

See how convenient it is to have these U.S. bases scattered all around the globe? This is why we "pay to defend" other countries. They are deterrents for many more reasons than just the protection of the country they reside in. Imagine if Russia had these bases scattered about? Well... they tried to establish such a network during the USSR era.

It's been Checkmate U.S. for decades now.
                              I still absolutely disagree with it. The EU should be responsible for the EU and their neighbors. They should be spending the money to defend themselves instead of wasting American taxpayer money on this.

Also, us being all over the place has caused a lot of tensions and conflicts because of our meddling.

Being located where we are, we could keep our troops home and still be able to swiftly respond and transport somewhere we may need to go for some reason. Countries that would want are help in such a scenario would open up their borders and facilities to help, and we'd still save tons of money over the years in the process. Being in everyone's business isn't a good thing and obviously hasn't deterred Russia for the past decade or so in Georgia and Ukraine.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• The number one thing we can do is to decouple ourselves from any critical items we are getting from any strategic competitors, or areas that could easily be under our thumb.

I would expect the Monroe Doctrine to also come back with a vengeance.

Edit: I imagine the CIA is hiring.
                                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Working...
                                X