No announcement yet.

Biden Plans to Revoke Keystone Pipeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• — July 5, 2013: A runaway Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway train that had been left unattended derailed, spilling oil and catching fire inside the town of Lac-Megantic in Quebec. Forty-seven people were killed and 30 buildings burned in the town’s center. About 1.6 million gallons of oil was spilled. The oil was being transported from the Bakken region of North Dakota, the heart of an oil fracking boom, to a refinery in Canada.

— Nov. 8, 2013: An oil train from North Dakota derailed and exploded near Aliceville, Alabama. There were no deaths, but an estimated 749,000 gallons of oil spilled from 26 tanker cars.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

The link you provided does not show any train spills comparable with the big pipeline leaks.
      Ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        — July 5, 2013: A runaway Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway train that had been left unattended derailed, spilling oil and catching fire inside the town of Lac-Megantic in Quebec. Forty-seven people were killed and 30 buildings burned in the town’s center. About 1.6 million gallons of oil was spilled. The oil was being transported from the Bakken region of North Dakota, the heart of an oil fracking boom, to a refinery in Canada.

— Nov. 8, 2013: An oil train from North Dakota derailed and exploded near Aliceville, Alabama. There were no deaths, but an estimated 749,000 gallons of oil spilled from 26 tanker cars.
        That's a big one. I only read the headings. You must have clicked through and read them all.

Still don't think it equates to pipes and barges. Although I didn't read too thoroughly obviously. And on some of those barge accidents, one needs to ascertain the actual spill and not merely the amount carried. Sometimes a barge/ship doesn't leak all its contents obviously.

One thing we can all have confidence in, and that is shipping oil is messy.

Comment

• Found a few studies comparing the different modes of transport. Wasn't easy getting a definitive answer. The following article gives one:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesco...h=58aa75287b23

In the U.S., 100% of our natural gas is shipped by pipeline. 70% of crude oil and petroleum products are shipped by pipeline. 23% of oil shipments are on tankers and barges over water. Trucking only accounts for 4% of shipments, and rail for a mere 3%. In Canada, it’s even more lopsided. Almost all (97%) of natural gas and petroleum products are transported by pipelines (Canadian Energy Pipeline Association).
          But as pipeline projects fail, Canada is investing in more rail transport. Canada’s energy regulator announced in June that 200,000 barrels per day is being exported by rail, an all-time high, and estimates that the amount will double in less than two years. The government is trying to be pro-active, fast-tracking the phasing out of older rail cars that are prone to accidents with crude oil and flammable liquids.
          So which mode is safer? For oil, the short answer is: truck worse than train worse than pipeline worse than boat (Oilprice.com). But that’s only for human death and property destruction.
          Boat > pipeline > rail > truck

For the amount of oil spilled per billion-ton-miles, it’s truck worse than pipeline worse than rail worse than boat (Congressional Research Service).
          Boat > rail > pipeline > truck

Even more different is for environmental impact (dominated by impact to aquatic habitat), where it’s boat worse than pipeline worse than truck worse than rail.
          Rail > truck > pipeline > boat

I converted the article's odd way of ranking for ya'll's reading pleasure.

Comment

• Scoring the rankings you get:

Boat = 9 pts
            Rail = 9 pts
            Pipeline = 7 pts
            Truck = 5 pts

So boat is tied w/ rail for overall best. Pipeline is 3rd w/ truck in last place.

Just one dude's opionion. Here's that dude:

James Conca

I have been a scientist in the field of the earth and environmental sciences for 33 years, specializing in geologic disposal of nuclear waste, energy-related research, planetary surface processes, radiobiology and shielding for space colonies, subsurface transport and environmental clean-up of heavy metals. I am a Trustee of the Herbert M. Parker Foundation, Adjunct at WSU, an Affiliate Scientist at LANL and consult on strategic planning for the DOE, EPA/State environmental agencies, and industry including companies that own nuclear, hydro, wind farms, large solar arrays, coal and gas plants. I also consult for EPA/State environmental agencies and industry on clean-up of heavy metals from soil and water. For over 25 years I have been a member of Sierra Club, Greenpeace, the NRDC, the Environmental Defense Fund and many others, as well as professional societies including the America Nuclear Society, the American Chemical Society, the Geological Society of America and the American Association of Petroleum Geologists.
            Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; January 29, 2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Certain rail routings of crude oil could be replaced by reconfiguring the existing pipeline network and constructing additional pipeline capacity. In general, pipelines could provide safer, less expensive transportation than railroads, assuming that pipeline developers are able to assure markets for the oil they hope to carry.

Pipeline development could be particularly important for shipments of crude oil from Canada to the United States. In light of growing Canadian exports, several proposals have been made to expand the cross-border pipeline infrastructure.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Shipment of oil by rail is, in many cases, an alternative to new pipeline development. This involves tradeoffs in terms of both transportation capacity and safety.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Still don't see anything in your link indicating train spills coming anywhere close to pipeline.

But I did see something interesting towards the bottom - barge spills... :O

January 2013, Mississippi River
                  A double-hulled barge carrying 668,000 gallons of crude oil on the Mississippi River ruptured and spilled after colliding with a railroad bridge, resulting in the closure of the river for eight miles in either direction in the vicinity of Vicksburg, Miss. Link to article

That's ****ing horrendous and straight into the Ol' Mississippi. No wonder it always looks so yucky. :/

What we have so far... ban pipelines and barges and let the trains roll... Greenies and railroad companies will be happy.

#Unity #Compromise
                  This is also why I don't have a dog in the fight, they all effing spill, leak, belch and fart. We are simply picking winners and losers. Also, while less volume in each train spill, derailments occur at a greater rate than pipeline leaks.
                  Last edited by MoValley John; January 29, 2021, 07:45 PM.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Found a few studies comparing the different modes of transport. Wasn't easy getting a definitive answer. The following article gives one:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesco...h=58aa75287b23

Boat > pipeline > rail > truck

Boat > rail > pipeline > truck

Rail > truck > pipeline > boat

I converted the article's odd way of ranking for ya'll's reading pleasure.
                    I can 110% assure you that 100% of natural gas is not shipped by pipeline. There are 3 facilities around Hutchinson that take railcar shipments of natural gas daily. There are also 3 facilities west of McPherson that load rail cars with natural gas. If there are 6 in South Central KS, how many are there all over the country?

Trains carrying hazardous materials leak all the time. And when one derails into a pile, it gets really messy. I have yet to hear of a town blowing up because of a pipeline leak. I have heard of multiple explosions due to train derailments.

I work for a railroad and have first hand knowledge of just how unsafe some of it is. Trucking is worse safety wise just based on the number of trucks out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post

I can 110% assure you that 100% of natural gas is not shipped by pipeline. There are 3 facilities around Hutchinson that take railcar shipments of natural gas daily. There are also 3 facilities west of McPherson that load rail cars with natural gas. If there are 6 in South Central KS, how many are there all over the country?

Trains carrying hazardous materials leak all the time. And when one derails into a pile, it gets really messy. I have yet to hear of a town blowing up because of a pipeline leak. I have heard of multiple explosions due to train derailments.

I work for a railroad and have first hand knowledge of just how unsafe some of it is. Trucking is worse safety wise just based on the number of trucks out there.
                      The following article was written shortly after the Obama rejection of the XL project. It talks about types shipping, amounts, increases, and hazards, attached to natural gas. The last paragraph is also of interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

This is also why I don't have a dog in the fight, they all effing spill, leak, belch and fart. We are simply picking winners and losers. Also, while less volume in each train spill, derailments occur at a greater rate than pipeline leaks.
                        Take it up with the Libtard in the article I posted. I don't give a good GD about that pipeline. Fillet it and fast food it if ya want to. All I give a damn about is winning the Superbowl!

Comment

• Hopefully I derailed all you with the puckered up a-holes long enough to catch a tiny glimpse of the reality in which you look foolish as hell worrying about somebody else's pipeline.

Unplug.

Comment

Hopefully I derailed all you with the puckered up a-holes long enough to catch a tiny glimpse of the reality in which you look foolish as hell worrying about somebody else's pipeline.

Unplug.
                            It’s not about us caring about somebody else’s pipeline. Who gives a **** if the world’s 10th richest man becomes the 5th richest or 15th richest because of this deal? It’s about the government ****ing with it! Why the hell are the people in power picking the winners? I promise you the Biden administration traded someone’s wealth for power. It’s bullshit.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

It’s not about us caring about somebody else’s pipeline. Who gives a **** if the world’s 10th richest man becomes the 5th richest or 15th richest because of this deal? It’s about the government ****ing with it! Why the hell are the people in power picking the winners? I promise you the Biden administration traded someone’s wealth for power. It’s bullshit.
                              What about Trump reversing a bunch of clean water act legislation with his pen to "help the farmers"? He did a million other things as well that affected markets. It's what politicians do. Biden killed the pipeline because it is a signature point for tree huggers. There's obviously some environmental risk there and part of the Democrats self-imposed job description is to save the planet. He didn't kill the pipeline to make Warren Buffet rich lmao. Warren Buffet is giving all his money away (supposedly). Any Dem that gets into office will kill that pipeline every day and twice on Sunday. And every Republican that gets in will give it the green light.

Republicans dig anywhere for oil, Democrats save the planet.

Republicans save unwanted babies, Democrats subsidize sex changes.

It's Team A vs. Team B. It's all bullshit. I guarantee you that the first thing every freshman congressperson gets once they arrive in Washington is a sheet detailing the policies they are "for" and "against".

It's all fake bullshit. All the outrage is fake bullshit.

Unplug. Buy a boat and sail the world. Pay attention to politics one week out of every year - just enough time to vote in whatever election comes up. You shouldn't need more than one week to search your soul or conduct a little due diligence. Then vote and get back to ignoring these assclowns.

The only thing that got me into these damned subforums was reading a bunch of delusional nonsense about Covid last March and attempting to intervene...

Honestly... incessantly bitching about politics is for lesser minds. It's for parrots and puppets and people living in panel vans. Live a life of consequence - live above the fray of the sheep and wannabee shepherds.

End Rant

Comment

Working...
                              X