Biden Plans to Revoke Keystone Pipeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Guess I need to read some more on it, but isn't what is happening is that a new section, in new areas of Montana, South Dakota, and Nebraska, is what Biden stopped. There is a different, old route that is currently being used. The new pipeline would have added greater capacity. The Keystone Pipeline will still exist, just not the bigger capacity pipe in a different location.

So, yes, rail will be used....for the increase in supply from Canada.
    A pipeline engineer in an interview tonight said that the oil will continue to be shipped by train and that trains emit 40% more Greenhouse gasses than a pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

A pipeline engineer in an interview tonight said that the oil will continue to be shipped by train and that trains emit 40% more Greenhouse gasses than a pipeline.
      So are you telling me that 1) Oil that the Keystone Pipeline XL would have handled is continuing to be shipped by train (which I totally agree with) or 2) No oil is being carried by any of the Keystone Pipeline that went online between 2010-2016 (which I believe to be wrong)?

Of course the additional oil XL would have handled will be shipped by other means, by train and/or truck, which have different Greenhouse gas issues that are being (intentionally) ignored by Biden.

Comment

If I understand your question, I think #1 is right.

It's been 24 hours since I heard him, so I'm not sure of the exact wording. But he was talking about the Pipeline being stopped by Biden, and that it would lose 11,000 high paying U.S. jobs. He added that it would be shipped south by rail if not by pipeline. He further said that when shipped by rail, it was worse for the environment than by pipeline with 40% more greenhouse gases when shipped by rail than by pipeline. The pipeline is obviously cleaner for the environment than trains.

Comment

Trains are more beneficial to Warren Buffet who is a major political backer of Biden.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Yes, but Biden buddy Buffett will get to line his pockets...to heck with Greenhouse gases. It's all a PR stunt.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
              Oil from Canada moves in many directions. XL or no XL, the oil will continue to move. There was a recent BNSF oil train derailment in Washington State. This oil originated in Canada.

Seven cars derailed and five caught fire on Tuesday in Custer, a small town north of Seattle near the Canadian border, authorities said.

Derailments are being blamed on environmentalists. Strange way to protest if you ask me. If you are opposed to pipelines, why attack trains?

Seven cars derailed and five caught fire on Tuesday in Custer, a small town north of Seattle near the Canadian border, authorities said.

This is true. Some whacks sabotaged the track.

This will happen more due to the extreme views of the tree huggers I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                Trains are more beneficial to Warren Buffet who is a major political backer of Biden.
                Without a doubt. I've read it is estimated up to $2B worth.

Comment

And just so everyone is aware, those crude trains run thru Wichita from time to time. Can anyone imagine the disaster it would cause for them to blow up in downtown or south wichita? Or in KC where they come from before there?

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    Too obvious.

Net income for BNSF is peachy.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                      And just so everyone is aware, those crude trains run thru Wichita from time to time. Can anyone imagine the disaster it would cause for them to blow up in downtown or south wichita? Or in KC where they come from before there?
                      I believe the issue is leaks. It's much easier to spot/contain train car leaks versus high pressure pipes in the ground.

Here's a list of pipeline leaks.

On Dec. 4, the Army Corps of Engineers issued a decision which will again delay construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline. Water protectors at the Standing Rock

1. Western North Dakota, near Belfield: Dec. 5, 2016

Just this month, less than 150 miles from Oceti Sakowin Camp, a leak was discovered in the Belle Fourche pipeline. An estimated 176,000 gallons leaked and crews are reportedly testing whether or not they can burn some of the spilled oil to stop further spread of the oil.

2. Yellowstone River, northeastern Wyoming: Jan. 17, 2015

True Company/Bridger Pipeline's Poplar oil line leaked 32,000 gallons of oil into the Yellowstone River, a tributary of the Missouri River (and by extension, upstream of Standing Rock). The pipeline was supposed to be buried eight feet beneath the river bed, but after the spill investigators discovered that the pipeline had become completely exposed. And it wouldn't be the first time for the Yellowstone River. In July 2013, an Exxon pipeline also leaked 63,000 gallons of oil directly into a different section of the river when it too became exposed and was damaged by flood debris.

3. Kalamazoo River, Michigan: July 25, 2010

In south-central Michigan a thirty-inch pipeline carrying diluted bitumen from Canada blew a six-foot gash along a corroded seam, releasing 843,000 gallons of heavy oil product into the Kalamazoo River. Canadian energy transporter Enbridge, the operator of the pipeline, would ultimately be deemed responsible for the largest inland oil spill in U.S. history, with a U.S. National Transportation Safety Board official comparing the company's spill response to the "Keystone Cops."

4. Mayflower, Arkansas: March 29, 2013

In a quiet Arkansas suburb, Exxon Mobil's Pegasus pipeline burst, spilling an estimated 210,000 gallons of tar sands bitumen through a residential subdivision and into nearby Lake Conway. With assistance the Arkansas Chapter of Sierra Club, we used satellite imagery taken before and after the disaster to document the impact on the community and nearby public lands.

5. Burnaby, British Columbia: July 24, 2007

On a warm summer afternoon in British Columbia, a contractor's backhoe struck the Transmountain Pipeline near Westridge, releasing a gusher of more than 59,000 gallons of crude oil into a residential neighborhood. But in 2016, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau recently approved Kinder Morgan's plans to expand the Transmountain Pipeline, while making moves to block Enbridge's Northern Gateway pipeline.
                      That's a lot of dino juice!

I didn't search trains. Perhaps someone else can do that.

Comment

• Trains are far more vulnerable and it's not even close.

The following timelines list significant crude by rail accidents in North America in 2013 and 2014, as well as relevant spills from barges, tankers and pipelines relevant to proposals for the Hudson Valley.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Too obvious.

Net income for BNSF is peachy.
                          About to get even more "peachy" thanks to Hiden Joe.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                            Trains are far more vulnerable and it's not even close.

https://www.riverkeeper.org/campaign...ne-of-failure/
                            The link you provided does not show any train spills comparable with the big pipeline leaks.

Comment

• I'm not sure rail is any safer at all. I don't benefit from the pipeline and this is not a bellwether issue for me. It is a huge political football that goes far beyond environmental issues and is a battle over who gets the money, the environmental issues are merely ground cover. I don't stand to benefit, so I don't really care.

All that said, trains often follow tributaries and train spills often end up in rivers, creeks and streams. Again, the oil will get to the refineries by train, truck or pipeline. All options will create hazards and ground contamination.

https://www.riverkeeper.org/campaign...-failure/#rail
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                                I'm not sure rail is any safer at all. I don't benefit from the pipeline and this is not a bellwether issue for me. It is a huge political football that goes far beyond environmental issues and is a battle over who gets the money, the environmental issues are merely ground cover. I don't stand to benefit, so I don't really care.

All that said, trains often follow tributaries and train spills often end up in rivers, creeks and streams. Again, the oil will get to the refineries by train, truck or pipeline. All options will create hazards and ground contamination.

https://www.riverkeeper.org/campaign...-failure/#rail
                                Still don't see anything in your link indicating train spills coming anywhere close to pipeline.

But I did see something interesting towards the bottom - barge spills... :O

January 2013, Mississippi River
                                A double-hulled barge carrying 668,000 gallons of crude oil on the Mississippi River ruptured and spilled after colliding with a railroad bridge, resulting in the closure of the river for eight miles in either direction in the vicinity of Vicksburg, Miss. Link to article

That's ****ing horrendous and straight into the Ol' Mississippi. No wonder it always looks so yucky. :/

What we have so far... ban pipelines and barges and let the trains roll... Greenies and railroad companies will be happy.

#Unity #Compromise

Comment

Working...
                                X