Shockernet Has Become Politically Polarized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
    I always thought of myself as a fiscal conservative and moderate to very slightly left-of-center leaning on a few social issues (like pollution, animal abuse, etc.)
    Oh yeah, I’m really conservative on this topic. I beat the f*** out of my hamster.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

I agree with background checks for purchase, but what about for someone like you that doesn’t own a gun, but likes to shoot a gun? If they have universal background checks, you ain’t shooting because it’s illegal for me to loan my gun to you.

How about waiting periods. I agree that a background check should be done. Well they are. They look for any reason to restrict you from owning a gun. When that’s done, you get to buy it. That’s already a thing if you buy from anyone other than a private seller.
      Well, I fudged a little bit. My son has my father's guns after he past, which are technically mine. However, I haven't shot in years. Most my shooting was at targets on my grandparents' farms. Usually a group of us.

If I wanted to shoot again, and buy a new gun, I would take a class again while waiting for my background check to come through. I don't even know what the waiting period is. What is it? While I have nothing for them to "find", it appears that they are pretty lackadaisical at times. I know that's already a thing, but not for all private sellers in all states is it? And I think the restrictions to sell should be just as tough (or tougher) on them.

Comment

I blame Cold.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Well, I fudged a little bit. My son has my father's guns after he past, which are technically mine. However, I haven't shot in years. Most my shooting was at targets on my grandparents' farms. Usually a group of us.

If I wanted to shoot again, and buy a new gun, I would take a class again while waiting for my background check to come through. I don't even know what the waiting period is. What is it? While I have nothing for them to "find", it appears that they are pretty lackadaisical at times. I know that's already a thing, but not for all private sellers in all states is it? And I think the restrictions to sell should be just as tough (or tougher) on them.
          Damn near instant background check most of the time.
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Damn near instant background check most of the time.
            That’s correct. They run your info through state and federal databases, and clear you in under 30 minutes most of the time. If you are flagged, you get a further human review, which takes 1 to 7 days. I’ve purchased 4 guns and been flagged twice (why, I do not know). If you aren’t flagged, why would they make you wait? They aren’t doing any more checks during that time.

Some states make you wait anyway.
            Livin the dream

Comment

With universal background checks, you can’t inherit your fathers gun. Instead, you would have to have a licensed FFL pick up the gun and transfer it to you for whatever fee. Your son couldn’t shoot your gun either. Again, if he wanted to borrow it for target shooting, you’d have to have an FFL transfer it to him for a fee. Then he would have to transfer it back. Otherwise you’d be a felon.

Certainly there are easier ways to do this if they set up the law correctly, but this is what “common sense” gun bills propose.

Finally, if you lend or sale a gun to a felon, that is a felony. You are already restricted as a private seller, which is why most private transactions are already between family or friends.
              Livin the dream

Comment

With universal background checks, you can’t inherit your fathers gun. Instead, you would have to have a licensed FFL pick up the gun and transfer it to you for whatever fee. Your son couldn’t shoot your gun either. Again, if he wanted to borrow it for target shooting, you’d have to have an FFL transfer it to him for a fee. Then he would have to transfer it back. Otherwise you’d be a felon.

Certainly there are easier ways to do this if they set up the law correctly, but this is what “common sense” gun bills propose.

Finally, if you lend or sale a gun to a felon, that is a felony. You are already restricted as a private seller, which is why most private transactions are already between family or friends.
                Thanks

Comment

What's wrong with the statement? Both are a general simplification of a problem (which makes them both wrong), but each is considered what left leaning or right leaning people "generally" believe. Actually, it takes both. People need education or be taught a skill, but they also have to be willing to work for a goal.
                  the whole idea that if everybody has to think like you, or be wrong, is a big deal

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

the whole idea that if everybody has to think like you, or be wrong, is a big deal
                    ... Or, way more prevalent, you must be a Trump voter who watches too much FoxNews. Of course, that doesn't apply to this forum, because we value bi-partisanship.

Just sayin'.

Comment

Not sure where you're coming with that. You can think any way you want and I don't believe wufan or I have said otherwise. To take that further, everyone is affected by their life experiences, thus, subjective about how they approach issues. Even 2 people going through the same exact experiences will most likely have differing opinions on things as no two people are exactly alike. Also, some people are leaders, some are followers. Nothing wrong with that either if you understand who you are. That affects viewpoint. However, most of us do not live in a bubble by ourselves. Sometimes, we might need to slightly adjust our own position on some things that reaches a more harmonious outcome for all.

Right now, I feel our country is in a polarization mode with the middle ground being pulled apart. About the only truth I'm pretty sure of is that the far right and the far left will never coexist with reasonable comfort. We all have choices to make. Is this how I want to live? Is this how I want my children, my family, my friends to live? We cannot please everyone, but we can try to bring most everyone together for a better life with the most freedoms possible.

Comment

"the left is wrong" the right is wrong", and I'm right. If you were to state that as your opinion, instead of stating it as fact, it wouldn't come off as being omnipotent. At least, that's my opinion.

Comment

Not sure where you're coming with that.
                          I think what he is getting at if you express views that go against current political correctness, they will go after you.

You can take a knee at baseball/football game and you are considered standing up for the oppressed. Be a high school football coach who takes a knee after a football game and pray - you are pushing your religious views on others and must be terminated.

You can go congregate with 1,000s of your friends and go on destroying rampages in the city - it is just people exercising their free speech. Meanwhile in those same cities it is illegal to gather to go to church, or if they allow you to go to church, it is illegal to sing.

Comment

"the left is wrong" the right is wrong", and I'm right. If you were to state that as your opinion, instead of stating it as fact, it wouldn't come off as being omnipotent. At least, that's my opinion.
                            It is absolutely my OPINION. And I'm not saying the far Right is wrong or the far Left is wrong. Frankly, I don't care either. Just where did I state a FACT outside of "everyone is affected by their life experiences", "some people are leaders, some are followers", and "We all have choices to make." and "We cannot please everyone". If you feel those are not facts, I'm fine with that, too. Hope you are.

You might be not seeing such words as "not sure", "I don't believe", "most likely", "most", "Sometimes", "might", "I feel", "pretty sure of". Didn't mean to touch a nerve. Well, MAYBE with your reaction, MAYBE I am.

PS: I'm not shouting with the caps, just want to help make sure you see it.
                            Last edited by ShockTalk; July 29, 2020, 10:04 AM.

Comment

It is absolutely my OPINION. And I'm not saying the far Right is wrong or the far Left is wrong.
                              I don't think he was addressing you. I think he was addressing this post:

All left leaning folks believe that if we just taught people how to do stuff, they wouldn’t be poor. All right leaning folks believe that if people just tried hard they wouldn’t be poor. They’re both wrong.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I don't think he was addressing you. I think he was addressing this post:

I took wufan 's post as a bit of hyperbole with a little partial truth mixed in, all for effect. Throw out the "All" in the first two sentences and make the last sentence "more soothing" by saying : They're both partially right (which I think would make both statements wrong, at least partially so ).

Comment

Working...
                                X