Any Trump fans getting tired...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    What I don’t understand is why don’t we just wear masks all of the time? Can’t masks stop or slow the transmission of the flu (another pandemic btw)? Are flu victims not as important? I think 50,000 lives a year isn’t chump change. And if you argue that because Covid is deadlier then what’s the cut off to wear masks? A virus that’s twice as deadly? 3 times as deadly? When?
    We have a flu vaccine. About 170 million Americans get the vaccine every year. You can kind of think of that as a permanent mask depending on how accurate the vaccine serum was.

15-70 million get infected with the flu every year. It has a fairly well established mortality rate of .1%. It also kills in a fairly predictable manner. Treatment is straight forward. 50k flu deaths is a big year. Adding Covid and the flu together in the winter is what healthcare workers are really afraid of.

If the stigma of wearing masks in western culture has lessened, you may see more masks during flu season going forward. It could have a measure of impact. Asian countries wear masks during flu seasons.

Remove the flu vaccine and maybe you get 30-140 million infections every year. With a .1% mortality rate that would be 30k-140k flu deaths every year.

Covid is many times more infectious than the flu. We could easily have 200 million infections if we just ignored it. If the mortality rate is .6%, that would be 1.2 million deaths.

And this is not taking into consideration the long-term effects of having a serious case of Covid and surviving. There are legitimate long-term pulmonary issues presenting with having survived a tough go with the alien bug.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
      I don't like wearing a mask. But I do like going to QT and getting a fountain drink. I like doing a lot of things that I didn't get to do for a month or 2. If you can tell me that I can pretty much do whatever I want to do, but have to wear a mask in the short term. I guess I'm fine with that. This isn't the end of the world. I can see the logic of a 'slippery slope' etc of what the gov't can tell us what to do, etc. But this doesn't seem like as big a deal as some make it be. Maybe that makes me a sheep, whatever. Here is the good news. The effectiveness of masks can probably be quantifiably calculated after a certain amount of time. And if nothing changes whatsoever in the case spread, then we should know and say masks don't work. And those that are against them can argue against being forced to wear them and, honestly, no one is any worse for the wear. We tried. We are trying a lot of things, as there are a lot of unknowns. I believe that most of us are in favor of slowing the spread of this virus, right? So why the big deal? But if wearing masks do in fact work.... why would anyone be against it in the short term?
      Look, I have been wearing a mask in public areas like grocery stores and such, sometimes before, I did not, but I always try to keep my distance also (which I feel is much more important than the mask). However, mask to mask has varying effectiveness (or non-effectiveness). Many people wearing masks, of any type, seem to not distance very well except when there is markings on the floor. That kind of behavior will make home-made masks or bandanas less effective and maybe, less effective than just social distancing without masks. It's all about the odds. Problem is, the more one goes out, even with a mask, the greater the risk. The less effective the mask (most homemade types), the greater the negative outcome, compounded by the number of potential exposures. The large group protests are prime examples. Now while most of these people are younger, and many may catch it and not know it, they can start a chain of carriers that ultimately effects those that will be symptomatic. I look at the protests no differently than Covid parties. Yes, the protesters may have masks, but there are hundreds of people, closely together, walking through everyone else's path before them for hours and hours, perhaps day after day. This can make most masks ultimately ineffective. These asymptomatics then carry on to home. Sure, any mask "works", it's just to what degree and what people do while wearing (or not wearing) a mask (social distancing or not).

This is the big question with going back to school. There is just a lot of unknown questions regarding children and the "chain of events" it may cause.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Look, I have been wearing a mask in public areas like grocery stores and such, sometimes before, I did not, but I always try to keep my distance also (which I feel is much more important than the mask). However, mask to mask has varying effectiveness (or non-effectiveness). Many people wearing masks, of any type, seem to not distance very well except when there is markings on the floor. That kind of behavior will make home-made masks or bandanas less effective and maybe, less effective than just social distancing without masks. It's all about the odds. Problem is, the more one goes out, even with a mask, the greater the risk. The less effective the mask (most homemade types), the greater the negative outcome, compounded by the number of potential exposures. The large group protests are prime examples. Now while most of these people are younger, and many may catch it and not know it, they can start a chain of carriers that ultimately effects those that will be symptomatic. I look at the protests no differently than Covid parties. Yes, the protesters may have masks, but there are hundreds of people, closely together, walking through everyone else's path before them for hours and hours, perhaps day after day. This can make most masks ultimately ineffective. These asymptomatics then carry on to home. Sure, any mask "works", it's just to what degree and what people do while wearing (or not wearing) a mask (social distancing or not).

This is the big question with going back to school. There is just a lot of unknown questions regarding children and the "chain of events" it may cause.
        There are tons of morons in the world. The mask thing, just by personal observation is probably 70% effective at best because 30% of the people don't even cover their nose!
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Teachers absolutely should be masking up with N95's and windows to the classrooms opened if at all possible. We've already lost teachers and we will lose more. There will be plenty of kids coming down with the Multisystem inflammatory syndrome so rashes will need to be watched closely. Other than that, we shouldn't lose many children. Every one that dies though will be a headline story.

You'll remember that woman I dated had kids come down with that syndrome weeks after she recovered. They had to be rushed to the emergency room. It can affect their hearts in some cases. Not common, but not unheard of either.

T

Name teachers essential workers, mask them up and have school. Seems simple and we all agree.

Comment

There are tons of morons in the world. The mask thing, just by personal observation is probably 70% effective at best because 30% of the people don't even cover their nose!
            70% is optimistic. It’s a lot lower than that. People put their fingers on the mask to adjust the mask, then their face, and to breathe, and then to drink, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

I don't like wearing a mask. But I do like going to QT and getting a fountain drink. I like doing a lot of things that I didn't get to do for a month or 2. If you can tell me that I can pretty much do whatever I want to do, but have to wear a mask in the short term. I guess I'm fine with that. This isn't the end of the world. I can see the logic of a 'slippery slope' etc of what the gov't can tell us what to do, etc. But this doesn't seem like as big a deal as some make it be. Maybe that makes me a sheep, whatever. Here is the good news. The effectiveness of masks can probably be quantifiably calculated after a certain amount of time. And if nothing changes whatsoever in the case spread, then we should know and say masks don't work. And those that are against them can argue against being forced to wear them and, honestly, no one is any worse for the wear. We tried. We are trying a lot of things, as there are a lot of unknowns. I believe that most of us are in favor of slowing the spread of this virus, right? So why the big deal? But if wearing masks do in fact work.... why would anyone be against it in the short term?
              I agree with this, but guess what? Nobody’s studying the effectiveness of masks. You can’t do a natural study on masks because there are too many variables. Engineering studies have been done. They show lack of effect for cloth masks, and minimal effectiveness for surgical masks. They may not be appropriately robust though, and more studies should be done on the size of aerosol that carries Coronavirus.
              Livin the dream

Comment

You'll regret it if I lay out my conspiracy theory. It's hidden in plain sight. It would be absolutely disastrous if the media got ahold of it. And I don't know how Trump would defend himself. The timeline of his actions are incredibly suspicious. Of course he's done really well in the past with "bombshell scandals".

Could I really be the only person aware of this hypothesis? Impossible.

T

See? 1/2 a Snow flake...

Comment

We have a flu vaccine. About 170 million Americans get the vaccine every year. You can kind of think of that as a permanent mask depending on how accurate the vaccine serum was.

15-70 million get infected with the flu every year. It has a fairly well established mortality rate of .1%. It also kills in a fairly predictable manner. Treatment is straight forward. 50k flu deaths is a big year. Adding Covid and the flu together in the winter is what healthcare workers are really afraid of.

If the stigma of wearing masks in western culture has lessened, you may see more masks during flu season going forward. It could have a measure of impact. Asian countries wear masks during flu seasons.

Remove the flu vaccine and maybe you get 30-140 million infections every year. With a .1% mortality rate that would be 30k-140k flu deaths every year.

Covid is many times more infectious than the flu. We could easily have 200 million infections if we just ignored it. If the mortality rate is .6%, that would be 1.2 million deaths.

And this is not taking into consideration the long-term effects of having a serious case of Covid and surviving. There are legitimate long-term pulmonary issues presenting with having survived a tough go with the alien bug.

T

We have a vaccine that is prepared for a single strain of the flu.

Are you really so vain as to think that whatever tin foil hat conspiracy you’ve cooked up would be propagated by billion dollar news channels who happen to read your post on a backwater sports fan message board? Damn dude. That’s Trump level egotism.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Are you really so vain as to think that whatever tin foil hat conspiracy you’ve cooked up would be propagated by billion dollar news channels who happen to read your post on a backwater sports fan message board? Damn dude. That’s Trump level egotism.
                    It’s actually prepared for multiple strains, but not all of them. The virus mutates too fast.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

https://www.foxnews.com/media/laura-...stancing-masks

One could literally drown in mask affirming articles from all walks of life within a few keystrokes. On the other hand, you would have to struggle to put together a rationally supported argument against masks stopping infection. In fact the premise is completely absurd. Yet she pulls it off. She adds the disclaimer that "she's not telling you not to wear a mask", but her entire theme was very clear: "look at those fools giving up their liberty to wear masks".

Jesus, I'm tellin' you what folks... I'm getting bombarded with ignorance and irrationality from my party every time I turn my head. I'm not getting much reassurance on here either.

T

Laura Ingram? What next Brian Steltzer? Oh, wait... ; D

"We know that a mask outside of health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection."
                      • Michael Klompas, M.D., M.P.H.,
                      • Charles A. Morris, M.D., M.P.H.,
                      • Julia Sinclair, M.B.A.,
                      • Madelyn Pearson, D.N.P., R.N.,
                      • and Erica S. Shenoy, M.D., Ph.D.
                      The New England Journal of Medicine: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372 *

'Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6' with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). Of course, the calculus is different in health care settings. First and foremost, a mask is a core component of the PPE clinicians need when caring for symptomatic patients with respiratory viral infections, in conjunction with gown, gloves and eye protection. You been wearing your goggles like they do in China Cold (don't lie)? I got my pair, along with some bitchin' N95 masks, directly from a caring and good friend in Nanchang, China (It's just East of Wuhan, on the map) via NYC:

goggles.jpg

Anyway, the article was published 5/21/20, or, 5 days before thousands and thousands' of Fearless Idiots started poppin' and lockin' down Main St. It was a different world then Son.

Now I'm just the messenger, so before you go hypothesizing I don't wear a mask, or I think this Bat Flu is phony because I posted this, I'll paraphrase:

*There are 26 Citing Articles at the bottom of the web page.
                      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; July 16, 2020, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        Where is this new "kids market"?
                        Wayfair
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Have you seen what these "billion dollar news channels" put up for news on a day to day basis? It's like kindergarten quality reporting. They would take my conspiracy and run like the ***** wind with it. Might even get a few Pulitzers. It fits right into their narrative. I'd love to share it, but no ***** way. We have Eagle reporters that peruse these boards. All it takes is one email, and if the right person liked it, they would do some research. It might still come up at some point. Frankly I'm surprised the angle hasn't been tried. Perhaps they're saving it for an October Surprise party. It would be hard to prove actual guilt, but when has that stopped the Fake News media before? The optics would be a nightmare for Trump though. An absolute nightmare.

T

Comment

Have you seen what these "billion dollar news channels" put up for news on a day to day basis? It's like kindergarten quality reporting. They would take my conspiracy and run like the ***** wind with it. Might even get a few Pulitzers. It fits right into their narrative. I'd love to share it, but no ***** way. We have Eagle reporters that peruse these boards. All it takes is one email, and if the right person liked it, they would do some research. It might still come up at some point. Frankly I'm surprised the angle hasn't been tried. Perhaps they're saving it for an October Surprise party. It would be hard to prove actual guilt, but when has that stopped the Fake News media before? The optics would be a nightmare for Trump though. An absolute nightmare.

T

And you think Jake Tapper is going to pick up the phone and listen to some small time Kansas City reporter tell him about a half baked plan they read about... on shockernet? You honestly think it will get through the JoCo fog to even get to Kansas City? And you think a news channel will put it out there with a straight face? You better start scrubbing your account. There’s a presidential appointment in your future if Alex Jones wins the presidency.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

And you think Jake Tapper is going to pick up the phone and listen to some small time Kansas City reporter tell him about a half baked plan they read about... on shockernet? You honestly think it will get through the JoCo fog to even get to Kansas City? And you think a news channel will put it out there with a straight face? You better start scrubbing your account. There’s a presidential appointment in your future if Alex Jones wins the presidency.
                              Did you see the ghetto trash they hauled out during the Kavanaugh hearings? They probably had to take them all to the dentist first to get teeth before bringing them on the set.

News stories don't go straight to Jake Crapper. They get "tips" ya know. Then they check it out. I don't have a secret folder of information, it's just a hypothesis that fits their narrative and has a VERY suspicious timeline. I've mentioned it to one person and they were like...

The funny thing is, it's probably true. Hopefully it never sees the light of day if so.

T

Comment

Did you see the ghetto trash they hauled out during the Kavanaugh hearings? They probably had to take them all to the dentist first to get teeth before bringing them on the set.

News stories don't go straight to Jake Crapper. They get "tips" ya know. Then they check it out. I don't have a secret folder of information, it's just a hypothesis that fits their narrative and has a VERY suspicious timeline. I've mentioned it to one person and they were like...

The funny thing is, it's probably true. Hopefully it never sees the light of day if so.

T

I’m not so sure I’m not talking to the Donald. Your writing style and pontificating is very similar.

Comment

Working...
                                X