Defunding/Abolishing Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

The OG criminals are usually nice guys. I just advise you not to go into business with them.
    There are a lot of gangsters who are more small time, bully killers than real, smart Sinaloa gangsters. You don’t know them.

Comment

If you are going to use public services to police a community, there’s really not much reason that you couldn’t rotate them through the fire and EMT teams. I am of the belief that firemen, EMTs, and cops are mostly not doing much and then they do a lot of really hard work.
      When I need EMTs, I want a seasoned experts. :)
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

There are a lot of gangsters who are more small time, bully killers than real, smart Sinaloa gangsters. You don’t know them.
        I spent a summer with the real deal in New Jersey. One of them, Dr Dan, was an extra in a handful of Scorsese films. He owned the actual Boda Bing strip club and a restaurant called good fellas.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

When I need EMTs, I want a seasoned experts. :)
          Trust me, those don’t exist. All EMTs are wanna be fireman or nurses that haven’t made it yet or won’t make it at all.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Trust me, those don’t exist. All EMTs are wanna be fireman or nurses that haven’t made it yet or won’t make it at all.
            Unless it's David Lee Roth.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Really? That isn't the way it works in Omaha, and I bet most other places. All EMT's in Omaha are firefighters first. They become EMT's as firemen, already fighting fires, pass the department's EMT classes, are certified and are assigned to a squad in a station. They still respond to fires. Nurses are nurses. While there are firemen that join the department already certified EMT's, they join as firemen.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Really? That isn't the way it works in Omaha, and I bet most other places. All EMT's in Omaha are firefighters first. They become EMT's as firemen, already fighting fires, pass the department's EMT classes, are certified and are assigned to a squad in a station. They still respond to fires. Nurses are nurses. While there are firemen that join the department already certified EMT's, they join as firemen.
                  Of the firemen I know, there is more available labor than open positions. The only way to get on the staff is to be in good with the chief at the time a position opens up. They all became volunteer firemen and EMTs while waiting to get on the force.

My knowledge is limited to a handful of individuals on a handful of stations, so take it for what it’s worth.

Wither way, is there any reason you couldn’t do 4 month rotations across these emergency services?
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Of the firemen I know, there is more available labor than open positions. The only way to get on the staff is to be in good with the chief at the time a position opens up. They all became volunteer firemen and EMTs while waiting to get on the force.

My knowledge is limited to a handful of individuals on a handful of stations, so take it for what it’s worth.

Wither way, is there any reason you couldn’t do 4 month rotations across these emergency services?
                    I don't think police and fire work the same at all. Training would be a nightmare. Laws regarding protection of rights apply to citizens vary between fire and police. Trespassing laws are quite different between police and fire, as well as many others. How do you keep those roles in check? Why did the EMT sieze my pot and why did I get ticketed for it it when there were no "cops" on scene.

In theory, probably a good idea, in practice, probably not so much. Rotating duties amongst police, and rotating duties amongst fire personnel is probably a great idea.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• My wife needs one of these!

Comment

If you are going to use public services to police a community, there’s really not much reason that you couldn’t rotate them through the fire and EMT teams. I am of the belief that firemen, EMTs, and cops are mostly not doing much and then they do a lot of really hard work.
                        These are all very different professions with different skill sets. The closest is EMS and Fire. All firefighters in this area are EMTs. So there is some overlap of knowledge,but EMS are all paramedics. I higher level of training. Your idea is a disaster waiting to happen. No doubt. I loved being a firefighter, but I do not have the temperment to be a police officer. All of these professions require a great deal of specialized training. There is very little crossover between them.
                        Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post

These are all very different professions with different skill sets. The closest is EMS and Fire. All firefighters in this area are EMTs. So there is some overlap of knowledge,but EMS are all paramedics. I higher level of training. Your idea is a disaster waiting to happen. No doubt. I loved being a firefighter, but I do not have the temperment to be a police officer. All of these professions require a great deal of specialized training. There is very little crossover between them.
                          I understand your point. I’m curious though, how many fires did you typically put out in a 40 hour week?
                          Livin the dream

Comment

I understand your point. I’m curious though, how many fires did you typically put out in a 40 hour week?
                            Our work week averaged 56 hour. Our schedule was 24 on, 48 off. This did include night times when we would sleep, unless there were alarms. 90% of our alarms were medical in nature.

Just a very rough estimate, I probably averaged 2 fire alarms of any type (structure, grass, vehicle) per month during my career. We were far from what I would consider a busy department. There were stations that were fairly busy and some that were not busy in the least.
                            Go Shocks!

Comment

All professional firefighters are required to be EMTs around here before they can be hired. Some police officers have also chosen to get that certification.

There used to be a department of public safety in some towns where the police and fire fighters were all cross trained. EMS was never included that I am aware of. The only department that I know of that is like this now is the Eisenhower Airport Fire, which are actually all WPD that have been cross trained. Still not EMS though.

Most firefighters don't want to be cops. There is a reason police officers are referred to as "blue canaries".

Comment

• According to Gun Violence Archive, at least 11 mass shootings occurred nationwide over the Labor Day weekend; most took place in Democrat-run cities.

Comment

Working...
                                X