No announcement yet.

WSU cancels Ivanka Trump graduation speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, a member of one of the most well known families in the world whose father is the president and who works in his administration is being silenced because her appearance at a graduation ceremony was cancelled?

I don’t think so.

Whether she should have been invited to speak in the first place or if cancelling her appearance was the correct decision or not is irrelevant in my opinion.

The idea that WSU could ever suppress Ivanka Trumps voice is not based in reality and cancelling her appearance has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Comment

So you would be fine if I called your work and petitioned them to fire you because of your political or family affiliation?
      The Assman

Comment

What’s concerning to me is that this David Mitchell guy, who cites an appearance by George Lincoln Rockwell as a major influence in his personal development during college, was in a position of power at the university.

Comment

Headline reads: Anti-cancel culture group upset that Ivanka visit cancelled, seek to cancel university president

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
            So you would be fine if I called your work and petitioned them to fire you because of your political or family affiliation?
            Are you referring to what is happening to Golden? Or Ivanka?

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
              What’s concerning to me is that this David Mitchell guy, who cites an appearance by George Lincoln Rockwell as a major influence in his personal development during college, was in a position of power at the university.
              You are not implying David Mitchell agreed with GLR are you? To quote David Mitchell : "to hear someone so crazy on one side of an issue. It made me think for myself.”

Comment

Leftist (read:all) Universities cancel Republican speakers all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  And if they can’t get the administration to cancel them, they then start violent protest until the University relents and cancels for “public safety”.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    Not in effing Kansas they don't. If we start acting like the People's Republic of Kalifornia what is the point living here? The sunflowers?

T

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                      So, a member of one of the most well known families in the world whose father is the president and who works in his administration is being silenced because her appearance at a graduation ceremony was cancelled?

I don’t think so.

Whether she should have been invited to speak in the first place or if cancelling her appearance was the correct decision or not is irrelevant in my opinion.

The idea that WSU could ever suppress Ivanka Trumps voice is not based in reality and cancelling her appearance has nothing to do with freedom of speech.
                      You’re missing the point. Free speech has two parts:

The freedom to speak
                      The freedom to listen

There are lots of people that would like to hear what people say. If you don’t let a person speak, you are forbidding people from hearing it. It’s akin to book burning.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Kansas Board of Regents is now going into their 3rd consecutive executive session. My guess is that President Golden hasn't resigned yet and/or the KBOR doesn't have a consensus yet one way or the other.

Comment

Probably the Beakers in the BOR are agreeing with Pie n Eye that of course a great university doesn’t allow Conservatives to speak on their campuses.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

You’re missing the point. Free speech has two parts:

The freedom to speak
                            The freedom to listen

There are lots of people that would like to hear what people say. If you don’t let a person speak, you are forbidding people from hearing it. It’s akin to book burning.
                            Right but no one was forbidden to speak or listen. Her pre recorded message is still available online right now. It just wasn't featured during the ceremony. The only thing that changed was the timing of her speech. Here.. Go watch it right here... https://vgrad.z19.web.core.windows.n...h/i/index.html ... On the WSU Tech graduation page. It just was no longer in the main ceremony.

That's the biggest part that blows my mind about this. It's a freaking graduation speech. One side makes a huge deal about having to listen to a speech... The other side makes a huge deal that a speech wasn't featured and instead a graduating student was featured. We as a country just managed to completely politicize and likely ruin what is probably a Top 5 lifetime accomplishment for the graduates (graduating college) over a damn graduation speech.

On top of all this... It wasn't even freaking WSU.. it was WSU Tech... So WSU is going to get a backlash from this no matter what the outcome. Either from lowered enrollment, tougher recruiting, tougher hiring or losing big donor money.

Comment

Session extended to 655pm

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Right but no one was forbidden to speak or listen. Her pre recorded message is still available online right now. It just wasn't featured during the ceremony. The only thing that changed was the timing of her speech. Here.. Go watch it right here... https://vgrad.z19.web.core.windows.n...h/i/index.html ... On the WSU Tech graduation page. It just was no longer in the main ceremony.

That's the biggest part that blows my mind about this. It's a freaking graduation speech. One side makes a huge deal about having to listen to a speech... The other side makes a huge deal that a speech wasn't featured and instead a graduating student was featured. We as a country just managed to completely politicize and likely ruin what is probably a Top 5 lifetime accomplishment for the graduates (graduating college) over a damn graduation speech.

On top of all this... It wasn't even freaking WSU.. it was WSU Tech... So WSU is going to get a backlash from this no matter what the outcome. Either from lowered enrollment, tougher recruiting, tougher hiring or losing big donor money.
                                I was replying to pie n eye specifically and philosophically.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X