WSU cancels Ivanka Trump graduation speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

No, he did not get fired nor did he resign. And from what I could garner there really was no chance of this happening. It looks like they spent most of their time wordsmithing their statement.
    this could be f-ing HUGE

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Utash is long gone like a turkey through the corn.
      Yeah, I can see that. You could read between the line on the KBOR statement and see them taking a shot a Utash for putting Golden in this position to have to cancel Ivanka.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

this could be f-ing HUGE
        Yeah. It looks like a perfect storm of events is about to crush WSU.

Comment

"That decision was not made with the purpose to stifle free speech, but in respect of the community."

In what way would Ivanka be disrespecting the community? How is the community better off without her speaking?

"We fully believe that if Mrs. Trump had been invited to any commencement speech other than this year, during these times, she would have been allowed to speak."

These times? How exactly does Ivanka Trump speaking to Tech graduates have anything to do with "these times"?

"With these extenuating circumstances regarding her speech, the University and President Golden were undeniably put in an unwinnable situation."

What extenuating circumstances? In what way would she have negatively affected the WSU or Wichita community?

If the College Republicans are going to imply something, go ahead and say it.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Curious why you say that?
            Her wings were clipped and it’s a career embarrassment. Hope I’m wrong; she seems like a good person for the position. The WSU Tech ‘affiliate‘ tag needs to go the way of the dinosaur... it’s time for WSU Tech to be completely under the WSU umbrella. I’ll say one thing in support of Golden... he 100% owned the decision, but Utash had to suck it up and write the apology.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Her wings were clipped and it’s a career embarrassment. Hope I’m wrong; she seems like a good person for the position. The WSU Tech ‘affiliate‘ tag needs to go the way of the dinosaur... it’s time for WSU Tech to be completely under the WSU umbrella. I’ll say one thing in support of Golden... he 100% owned the decision, but Utash had to suck it up and write the apology.
              I've known her for decades. She absolutely is the right person for the position and she was absolutely put in a horrible position. I do think damage has been done with her connections in the white house. That said I don't see her bailing. She has a ton of connections here and is proud of her work there. She's not a run away from the problem type person.

Comment

Kansas Board of Regents takes no binding action regarding President Golden

Comment

A very vocal group wanted their way. Sound familiar?

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Steve Clark overplayed his hand here and definitely shouldn't have drug the Koch's name into it. They are capable of speaking for themselves. Not a great look for all involved.
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                        Steve Clark overplayed his hand here and definitely shouldn't have drug the Koch's name into it. They are capable of speaking for themselves. Not a great look for all involved.
                        I knew that the cancel culture prevails at Berkeley California but It’s embarrassing that it prevails in Wichita Kansas.

I see so much BLM virtue signaling. I support justice for George Floyd. I do not support dismantling our police..I don’t support defunding police. I do support our Wichita Chief of Police. He is doing a great job of threading this impossible needle and holding our police and community together.

I dont see see how Trump has caused George Floyd’s death and I see even less how Ivanka Trump has caused it. Ivanka is a very mature business woman who has a father who people hate.

Comment

• I can’t imagine that John Bardo or Don Beggs would have ever gotten themselves into such a position.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

WSU has every right to decide who they hire or invite to speak at their graduation. Agree with their decision or not, this isn’t a freedom of speech issue. They aren’t going to a public space and telling her to shut up.

Ivanka has far more platforms to speak and be heard than the vast majority of Americans.
                            Yes they do. And the students have a right to protest that invitee and the college has the right to cancel them. You have the right to disagree and the right to burn books. All of these things are freedoms we enjoy in this country. Allowing an institution or a mob to dictate what is or isn’t acceptable speech, while legal, is a bad decision.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• People should just not watch or listen to things they don't like.
                              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• While this isn't a freedom of speech issue (and it's clumsy at best to mention it in this context), it is about diversity and inclusion. But I can't help but feel as if Golden just defined who and what is included in diversity and who and what is not.

He does appear to be a weak president. Unfortunately, that's exactly what students and faculty want, so they can feel as though they can exert their influence and control.

Comment

Working...
                                X