WSU cancels Ivanka Trump graduation speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I'm calling bullshit on boosters wanting him off the team.

I am sure he was told not to wade into politics publicly. Not because of who he voted for, but because ALL athletes are advised not to. Just like they are rightfully advised to stay off Shockernet.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        I'm calling bullshit on boosters wanting him off the team.

I am sure he was told not to wade into politics publicly. Not because of who he voted for, but because ALL athletes are advised not to. Just like they are rightfully advised to stay off Shockernet.
        Eh... People get vindictive when it comes to politics. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Also wouldn't surprise me if the message was something else but the delivery of the message was bad and made it seem this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          While I take his word regarding boosters, I don’t remember anybody in the Midwest attacking Obama’s that much. I voted for Mc Cain but I liked Obama at that time and was hopeful that “Hope and Change” would be positive for our country and was somewhat proud of our country that we elected our first Black President. Sometime between 2008 and 2016, I no longer was hopeful for President Obama but my bad memory of 2008 wasn’t of a lot of anger or negativism.

Comment

Also wouldn't surprise me if the message was something else but the delivery of the message was bad and made it seem this way.
            Yeah, I'll assume the best out of him. But there's a decent chance he's just spinning what was told to him into something negative.

Comment

Eh... People get vindictive when it comes to politics. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
              Yeah, there's always a few jerks out there ... maybe he experienced some of the jerks? That would piss me off if so.

Comment

Shame on WSU. It used to be that America's colleges and universities were bastions of free speech and expression but today, they're all Liberal meccas. Go to youtube and you'll find student and teacher protests whenever a conservative guest speaker is on campus. Democrat to Republican professors is a 9:1 ratio in the United States. Cancel culture is real and chicken schitt.

Comment

Major backlash from the Ivanka cancelling. Board of Regents special meeting today. Big donors threaten to pull financial support. https://www.kansas.com/news/local/ed...243382231.html
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                    Major backlash from the Ivanka cancelling. Board of Regents special meeting today. Big donors threaten to pull financial support. https://www.kansas.com/news/local/ed...243382231.html
                    This is not a good look for WSU and does not honor the legacy of Dr. Bardo and his decisive leadership.
                    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

This is very troubling and in the short term, at least, I don't see a victory for the university.

1. Fire Golden and deepen the rift between the university and students, faculty.

2. Keep Golden and lose important donors and support, and putting federal research dollars at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                        This is very troubling and in the short term, at least, I don't see a victory for the university.

1. Fire Golden and deepen the rift between the university and students, faculty.

2. Keep Golden and lose important donors and support, and putting federal research dollars at risk.
                        Agree, no-win situation here. Sounds like Golden is done for, but either way I fear the university will come out of it weaker.

Comment

Yeah WSU is compounding their problems quickly with self-inflicted wounds. If KU under pressure to do volunteer buyouts of faculty, WSU has to be in a similar position and will probably follow soon. Add in the potential financial pressure that Covid is going to have on the athletic department - things may get really tough.

Comment

Originally posted by shox526 View Post

Agree, no-win situation here. Sounds like Golden is done for, but either way I fear the university will come out of it weaker.
                            I'm watching this from afar, but given what I have read, this would have been analogous to our parents telling us that we should have Lawrence Welk playing at our homecoming dance instead of, say, the Serfs.

Although I understand the need to listen to the Alumni, this is these kid's graduation. This is either 1) someone of interest hijacking the process through their protest or 2) the kids really did not want her speaking.

It it is #2, ask yourself if you would have enjoyed Lawrence Welk playing at your homecoming instead of the Serfs.

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I'm watching this from afar, but given what I have read, this would have been analogous to our parents telling us that we should have Lawrence Welk playing at our homecoming dance instead of, say, the Serfs.

Although I understand the need to listen to the Alumni, this is these kid's graduation. This is either 1) someone of interest hijacking the process through their protest or 2) the kids really did not want her speaking.

It it is #2, ask yourself if you would have enjoyed Lawrence Welk playing at your homecoming instead of the Serfs.
                              ...uh.....do what, now?

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

She had already visited campus and so I assume Sheree Utash had a pretty good idea of how the WSU Tech students responded, and that they would appreciate Ivanka speaking. That a WSU (not Tech) associate professor of underwater liberal basket weaving was "horrified and disgusted" should have no influence on what WSU Tech does. Less than 500 people (a tiny percentage out of the tens of thousands of students, faculty and alumni combined) signed her petition.

I had high hopes for Golden but he f'ed this one up, IMO. I think he has to go. He obviously doesn't value diversity of thought enough to stand up to the vocal minority and allow WSU Tech (which is supposed to operate independently) to control who speaks at it's own graduation.

Comment

Working...
                                X