WSU cancels Ivanka Trump graduation speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wufan View Post

I was replying to pie n eye specifically and philosophically.

Mine was more of a general comment anyways about the situation. Sorry for quoting if I missed part of that conversation

Comment

Golden's mismanagement of this is terribly concerning. WSU loses no matter what unless he offers a mea culpa and invites her in person to the next WSU (not just Tech) graduation ceremony or some other type of high profile event.. What a mess. Any chance he'll resign?

Comment

Board of Regents - u can go to our website and read how we are all going to work together.

I would say that KU will be reaping the Koch money.

Comment

Board of regents statement

The Kansas Board of Regents is committed to working with all our universities and colleges to support and promote freedom of speech and diversity and inclusion.
          During these unprecedented times, our universities have been forced to make quick decisions and act swiftly without the normal process of including all our stakeholders in decision making.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to improve communications during times of crisis.
          We look forward to strengthening relationships with students, alumni and friends. It is vital that all stakeholders join us in this effort.

Comment

Students won out. Including the WSU College Republicans ...

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

You’re missing the point. Free speech has two parts:

The freedom to speak
              The freedom to listen

There are lots of people that would like to hear what people say. If you don’t let a person speak, you are forbidding people from hearing it. It’s akin to book burning.
              WSU has every right to decide who they hire or invite to speak at their graduation. Agree with their decision or not, this isn’t a freedom of speech issue. They aren’t going to a public space and telling her to shut up.

Ivanka has far more platforms to speak and be heard than the vast majority of Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                Probably the Beakers in the BOR are agreeing with Pie n Eye that of course a great university doesn’t allow Conservatives to speak on their campuses.
                Hmm. I don’t recall ever saying any of that. Please show me a quote.

Comment

Well all I can say is WSU is never getting another dime of my money.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

You are not implying David Mitchell agreed with GLR are you? To quote David Mitchell : "to hear someone so crazy on one side of an issue. It made me think for myself.”
                    It concerns me that he wasn’t able to think for himself until he listened to one of the most despicable Americans of the 20th century spout what was undoubtedly some racist, bigoted bullshit.

I don’t know the context of his visit to WSU. I don’t want to judge Mitchell for giving it the old college try. I am struggling come up with a reason why you would invite a guy like that to campus or why anyone would want to hear him out. It’s not like he was misunderstood. But hey, we all do stupid **** in college.

I do find it funny on many levels that he compared the leader of the American Nazi party with Ivanka trump though.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

It concerns me that he wasn’t able to think for himself until he listened to one of the most despicable Americans of the 20th century spout what was undoubtedly some racist, bigoted bullshit.

I don’t know the context of his visit to WSU. I don’t want to judge Mitchell for giving it the old college try. I am struggling come up with a reason why you would invite a guy like that to campus or why anyone would want to hear him out. It’s not like he was misunderstood. But hey, we all do stupid **** in college.

I do find it funny on many levels that he compared the leader of the American Nazi party with Ivanka trump though.
                      Appears Mr. Mitchell is not familiar with the phrase ‘read the room’.

Comment

What a mess he has created. Within 6 months he has potentially destroyed all the momentum Bardo was able to generate. Golden appears weak, does not support free speech and show his leadership is a flip flopper. Unless he resigns we will not see ANY growth, expansion, or enhanced reputation. Wouldn’t surprise me to see The Tech Prez depart out of protest.

Get ready for a long period of Golden Slumbers for WSU as long as he stays.

Comment

OK, help me out. So he did not get fired and he did not resign?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            OK, help me out. So he did not get fired and he did not resign?
                            No, he did not get fired nor did he resign. And from what I could garner there really was no chance of this happening. It looks like they spent most of their time wordsmithing their statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                              What a mess he has created. Within 6 months he has potentially destroyed all the momentum Bardo was able to generate. Golden appears weak, does not support free speech and show his leadership is a flip flopper. Unless he resigns we will not see ANY growth, expansion, or enhanced reputation. Wouldn’t surprise me to see The Tech Prez depart out of protest.

Get ready for a long period of Golden Slumbers for WSU as long as he stays.
                              Utash is long gone like a turkey through the corn.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Utash is long gone like a turkey through the corn.
                                Curious why you say that?

Comment

Working...
                                X